Continuing the monthly tradition, The Speckled Palate’s The Potluck: October 2021 includes some books, clothing, fall-related goodies and more. Come see my love list and tell me what was on yours for October.
October has been wonderfully busy. I’m happy to report that we’re settling into this new routine, and Lucy is thriving as a tripawd.
If you recall in last month’s potluck, I talked about how Lu underwent surgery to remove an osteosarcoma in her front right leg and how the adjustment for the first few weeks was really tough, but how it was also so incredible to see her recover.
She’s rocking the three-legged life, and we’re tentatively going to be dressing her up this weekend because, well, how could we NOT bring her trick-or-treating with us?
In addition to Lucy being a rockstar, it’s been an excellent month for us for a lot of reasons.
Let’s discuss October Highlights:
As mentioned above, October has been a positive month for us, personally, as we settle into our school year routine with both girls.
Here are a few of our highlights:
- After-school activities. It sounds silly to say this was a highlight because, well, we’ve been really busy and it stresses me out about getting from point A to point B in time, but it’s also been fun for the girls to participate in events after school and for life to look more “normal” of more than a year and a half of just staying close to home. Our older one is in soccer, and that’s been a blast to watch throughout the season. Both girls are also in swimming lessons, and it’s been amazing to see their progress with that, too.
- Lucy. She’s going to be a highlight in my life until she’s no longer in my life, to be honest with you. I’m taking a “Why not?” approach for anything that has to do with Lucy. We know our time is short, and we’re so lucky to have this bonus time with her… and I want it to be the best time of her life. So she’s accompanied us to school pickups and soccer practice and to the park as often as she wants because, well, why not?
- The State Fair of Texas. It’s been a few years since we went. We decided to go the final weekend this year, and it was a blast! The girls were finally an age where they could enjoy the rides and food, so we met up with some close friends and explored. It’s funny how when you take your kids to the Fair that your priorities shift. Instead of doing our foodie tours, beer garden chats and leisurely walks, we ended up living in the Midway, where the majority of the rides were.
- 300!: I rode my 300th Peloton ride this month, and I am so proud of myself for showing up consistently to ride the bike for myself. I’ve recently been doing a challenge with PowerZone Pack that’s all about PowerZone Training. I love how it challenges me to get out of bed and get on the bike to start my day right. It reminds me a lot of marathon training, and that makes me happy.
- Sports: Listen, our college football team has had some moments this season, but that doesn’t mean we aren’t watching. Same with our hockey team, though it’s early days. I’m happy to be watching live sports again, though I don’t plan to attend any games in person just yet.
Now Let’s Talk about this Monthly Love List…
To recap, my potluck, as defined by the folks at Merriam-Webster is:
the regular meal available to a guest for whom no special preparations have been made… a communal meal to which people bring food to share —usually used attributively ; whatever is offered and available in given circumstances or at a given time.
Now who’s ready to see what ended up on my list for October 2021?!?
The Speckled Palate participates in affiliate programs. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases. Please refer to my disclosure page for more information about these affiliate programs.