The Potluck: July 2016
Somehow, it’s already mid-August, and this year is flying. (Yes, I realize this is a common sentiment in these posts, but seriously. The passage of time is ridiculous.)
So before I forget all the things I enjoyed during the month of July, let’s talk about my fave things from the month! To recap, my potluck, as defined by the folks at Merriam-Webster is:
the regular meal available to a guest for whom no special preparations have been made… a communal meal to which people bring food to share —usually used attributively <a potluck supper>; whatever is offered or available in given circumstances or at a given time.
Around the end of every month, I write up a list of my (current) favorite things. While this list might not be a traditional “meal,” I hope to bring some unique products/entertainment/links/etc. that I’ve recently loved in the hopes that y’all will enjoy them, too.
Who’s ready to know what I adored in July?
Here we go…
This post contains affiliate links. If you were to make a purchase through one, I would receive a small commission. For more information about the affiliate programs The Speckled Palate participates in, please refer to my disclosure page.
1. Harry Potter and the Cursed Child: I received a text from my husband asking, “Did you already purchase the new HP? Because if not, I’m getting it for us.” We both love Harry Potter, and even though I cannot recommend this book because I’ve yet to finish it (#momprobs), could we TALK about the excitement around this? And how happy it makes me? And how it thrills me to know I’m going to be able to share these books with my daughter someday? Because yeaaaah…
2. Essie Big Spender Nail Polish: This polish has been my unofficial color of the summertime. It’s a little different than the bright pinks and reds I normally gravitate toward during the hot months, but it is so fun. Every time I FaceTime with my sister while wearing it, I get a compliment. Win!
3. Handpainted Atoll Measuring Spoons: I’m a sucker for gorgeous kitchen utensils, and these handpainted measuring spoons make me stupidly happy. Every time I used them this past month, they made me smile. Isn’t that just the best?
4. Kate Spade New York Square-Cut Crystal Earrings in Light Pink: A sweet friend gave me these earrings as a thank you for co-hosting her baby shower… and I adore them. Since having Lady Baby, I haven’t been the best about girly things (necklaces, earrings, etc.) because they’re easy targets for an active toddler to yank. These studs are the perfect size, though. The crystals are large, but not too large, and they add a put together feel to my outfit without me having to make a huge effort. (Since, you know, my hair is still probably unwashed and thrown into a messy bun, haha.)
5. Crazy Ex Girlfriend: I am so late to the party, but I am so, so, so happy the folks on PCHH chatted about this little show because it encompasses so much I love. Eccentric characters? Check. Musical numbers? Check. Comedy? Check. I’ve been blowing through the first season on Netflix, and I cannot wait for season two this fall!
6. Oribe Apres Beach Wave and Shine Hairspray: As I’ve previously mentioned, motherhood is hard. I don’t always get to shower. And when I do, I don’t have a ton of time to primp after. This Oribe hairspray is brilliant! When I get out of the shower, I scrunch my hair, spritz in this spray, scrunch again, then go! That’s it. And my curls? They look happy and beachy, perfect for the summertime!
7. Co-working at local coffee shops: Before Valorie moved to France, she and I co-worked from coffee shops… and we got a ton of work done while having a great time! In addition to getting to spend some time with a sweet friend, I got to check out new-to-me coffee shops. I’m still lovin’ Houndstooth!
8. Summer travel: We visited family at the end of June and stayed until July 5. We had a fantastic time. Lady Baby was doted upon by so many members of our family. We ran the hottest 5K ever. We ate really, really delicious food. (More on this Friday.) And we got to spend quality time with people we love who we don’t get to see as much as we’d like. Now, if we could make this travel thing happen more often, I’d be a happy girl.
What did you love in the month of July?
Curious about other things I’ve loved? Check out my other potlucks:
2014: October | November| December
2015: January | February | March | May | June | July | August | September | November | December
2016: January | February |March | April | May | June | July | August | September | October | November | December
2017: January | February | March | April | May | June | July | August | September | October | November | December
2018: January | February | March | April | May | June | July | August | September | October | November | December
2019: January | February/March | April | August