The Potluck: February 2015
In October, I started a new feature to share some of favorite things. I’m continuing this new tradition today with another list of stuff I’m digging.
To recap, I’m sharing my version of a potluck, as defined by Merriam-Webster.
the regular meal available to a guest for whom no special preparations have been made… a communal meal to which people bring food to share —usually used attributively <a potluck supper>; whatever is offered or available in given circumstances or at a given time.
Every month, I’m listing some of my favorite things. While they might not appear to be a traditional “meal,” I want to provide some different and interesting stuff (products/entertainment/links/etc.) I’ve recently loved in the hopes that y’all will enjoy them, too.
Fair warning: These are basically all pregnancy-related things because that’s currently taking over my brain, as my due date is this weekend. (!!!)
Here are some things I adored during the month of February.
This post contains affiliate links. If you were to make a purchase through one, I would receive a small commission. For more information about the affiliate programs The Speckled Palate participates in, please refer to my disclosure page.
1. Kindle Paperwhite 3G: I’ve been dealing with pregnancy insomnia these days, and this Kindle with a built-in light has been a lifesaver for those nights I cannot sleep. Instead of lying in bed and unsuccessfully counting sheep, I read a little bit until my brain settles, and I can fall back asleep. It works quite nicely, and it guarantees I won’t wake my husband or dog while awake in the wee hours of the morning.
2. Friends and family members constantly checking in: I know some people get annoyed at the end of pregnancy when they’re continually asked by various folks in their life about if the baby has arrived… but I seem to be one of those women who actually enjoys the questions. I love that I’m receiving e-mails and texts from friends and family members daily, simply checking in with me. It’s fun catching up, and I’m excited for the time I can tell them, “Yes!” to the question, “Are you in labor?” or “Will there be a baby anytime soon?” (Though there will be a baby soon, one way or another. My induction date is set for March 9th, so we’re hoping I go into labor naturally sometime soon!)
3. Hot Chocolate: I’ve been drinking a ton of this these days, no matter if it’s hot or cold outside. There’s something so comforting about a nice hot chocolate, and I consider it a treat that I thoroughly enjoy indulging in every once in a while. From Starbucks to homemade, it’s all good.
4. Dark Chocolate-Covered Almonds: It’s kind of embarrassing how quickly I can tear through a pound of these decadent treats. But clearly, I’m not embarrassed enough to omit these goodies from this list…
5. Strawberries: They’re a recent craving, and OH MY GOODNESS, y’all. I could eat them all day every day. Luckily, my grocery marked them down to $0.99 per pint (as opposed to $2.99 a pop), and I purchased several, much to the amusement of my husband. I figure there was way worse things for me to be digging these days, right? Right.
6. Sirens: Winston and I binged on the first season on Netflix two weekends ago, and the second season is currently airing on USA. This series, about a pair of EMT best friends and their unit in Chicago, was super easy to get into, and it’s hilarious. If you’re looking for something lighthearted to get into and don’t mind some dirty jokes, I highly suggest checking this series out.
7. The Kathleen Turner Series by Tiffany Snow: It’s billed as a “romantic suspense” series, though I found it to be more suspense than romance… and thoroughly enjoyed it! These books reminded me of early Stephanie Plum novels, which were some of my favorite easy reads, and I tore through the first five books in the series in the span of two weeks. I’m trying to ration out the final two… though I don’t see them lasting long, either.
Curious about other things I’ve loved? Check out my other potlucks:
2014: October | November| December
2015: January | February | March | May | June | July | August | September | November | December
2016: January | February |March | April | May | June | July | August | September | October | November | December
2017: January | February | March | April | May | June | July | August | September | October | November | December
2018: January | February | March | April | May | June | July | August | September | October | November | December
2019: January | February/March | April | August
I am a huge fan of strawberries. I tried growing them once, but it’s hard, so when they are $0.99 a lb. I stock up on them. Love your potluck!!
You and me both, Saidah! I’ve tried growing them, too, without any luck, so I stock up on them when they’re on sale, as well. So good! Thanks for stopping by!
I love chocolate covered Almonds!
You and me both, Kallee. They’re SO good!
I do love me some hot chocolate! In any form it comes in! haha Strawberries have also been a recent craving of mine. Really, just fruit in general.
Hot chocolate is pretty awesome, huh? I’ll take it in any form, too. And your fruit craving is great! I was so pleased when I realized I loved strawberries as much as I do at this point in pregnancy, and I think it’s a win since fruit is way better for me (and baby) than cookies, which I’ve also been craving. Haha.
I’ve seen ads for Sirens but wasn’t sure if I could get into it — I’ll have to give it a try! Josh is currently really into Psych, but it puts me to sleep so we need something other than X-files to watch together on Netflix.
If you try it out, let me know what you think! Winston and I are very much the same way — we watch super different shows — so it was fun to find one we both have enjoyed!
I’m huge fan of chocolate covered almonds and strawberries!
They’re both pretty wonderful, Savita!
I totally love this and you are soooo close, Erin! I will totally be thinking about you girl. I am obsessed with my paperwhite. I use it multiple times a day and I think it’s just genius that it doesn’t hurt your eyes/head! Love it. xo
Thanks so much, Justine! I appreciate the thoughts. 🙂 I’m so glad you love your Paperwhite as much as I love mine. It’s brilliant… and I’m so, so, so thankful my husband surprised me with it two years ago because I never thought I’d want to read on a Kindle.
I can tear up some dark chocolate almonds. Scratch that I’ll tear up some dark chocolate in general. I’m obsessed. I did my thesis on the health benefits of dark chocolate. I’m a nerd and foodie at heart!
You and me both, Lara! Dark chocolate is the BEST, and I love that you did your thesis on the benefits of dark chocolate! (That means it’s totally a health food, right? HA!)
Hahaha I had so much hot chocolate at the end of my pregnancy! I think there’s a rule somewhere dictating mamas of winter babies must drink tons of hot chocolate!
I’m glad that hot chocolate near the end of pregnancy seems to be a thing with a lot of folks I’ve spoken with… and it’s just so good. I mean, how could we NOT enjoy it all at this point? Winter mama’s (and soon-to-be-mama’s!) unite!
LOVE all of the foods. Eat the strawberries and almonds together, then wash it down with hot cocoa! LOL texture palooza!! I’m crazy, idk. I’m so excited to hear the good news and see all the pictures of Lady Baby when she arrives!! You better bring something electronic to the hospital – I expect Instagram baby face! <3
I’m glad you’re loving all these foods, too. They’re really all quite wonderful, ya know? And I’d totally eat them together, too, so there’s that. Thank you! We’re so excited to welcome Lady Baby, and we can’t wait for her… so hopefully, it won’t be much longer. This mama-to-be is starting to get antsy!
I love that you are due this weekend! Are you so excited? I’m due March 10th and am getting pretty ready – although super nervous, too! Enjoy these last few days of pregnancy :). OH and I’m pretty sure I need your Vanilla Hot Chocolate in my life STAT. I’ll be on that asap… 🙂
Thanks, Andrea! I’m super excited to meet our girl… and I cannot wait for her to arrive, whenever that is! I’m so excited that you’re due around this time, too! Sending you positive thoughts and hoping that your nervousness fades away as you make your final preparations to meet your sweet baby!