Continuing the monthly tradition, The Speckled Palate’s The Potluck: April-May 2022 includes clothing, beauty products, a cookie recipe and more. Come see my love list and tell me what was on yours for April and May.
It’s been a busy few months here, and we’ve been finding our cadence after losing Lucy in February. It’s weird how life continues and how you adapt from having a routine to just… not having that routine anymore.
Like, for example, I have the hardest time getting out of bed nowadays because I don’t have Lucy to get me up. (Also, it was really the threat of Lucy using our bedroom rug as a bathroom that got us both moving relatively quickly in her later years… because she would not wait for us if we slept too long.)
We’re now ending the school year, and it’s been a lovely one. Both of girls had great years at their schools, and I cannot believe that the summertime officially begins this afternoon.
I’m really looking forward to the few trips that we’ve planned, as well as the time we’ve set aside to spend with friends and family here. It’s going to be a good one—and I think I did a better job of plotting it out this year so I’m a little less stressed.
So let’s get into this potluck things, mmkay?
Let’s Discuss Highlights:
- Easter—and the return of our neighborhood’s funky Easter parade. We shared Easter lunch with my friend, Aline, and enjoyed Baked Ham with Bourbon Orange Sauce, Scalloped Potatoes, Carrot Rice and Brazilian Collard Greens. (We also ate the most decadent slices of Brazilian Carrot Cake, too.)
- End of year school things: Our schedule has been jam-packed these past few weeks as we’re nearing the end of the school year, and it’s been fun hearing the girls talking about the things their classes are doing.
- Seeing more friends: It’s been nice to see more people as the months have gotten warmer. And it’s been lovely to see our kids playing with their friends and running around outdoors. This past weekend, we celebrated a birthday (and ate crawfish!) while our kids ran loops around the house for HOURS.
Let’s discuss action items:
From the ongoing war in the Ukraine to problems on the home front, the world isn’t a kind place sometimes.
In fact, we’ve had tragedy strike out state this week… and it all feels to gutting. (As the mom of a rising second grader and a 3-year-old, this hit way too close to home.)
Here are my action items of the month:
- Uvalde. A school shooting at an elementary school in Texas left at least 21 dead, including 19 students, on Tuesday. And honestly, I am heartbroken and outraged. While thoughts and prayers are lovely, these children deserve more than that… and I will hold my elected officials accountable. So far, I’ve called the governor and my senators and left messages. I’ve made donations, too. (Sandy Hook Promise and Everytown are doing good work.) And I’m continuing to look for more ways to help because it does not have to be this way.
- Reproductive rights. My book club wrote an excellent post of organizations, resources and book lists that I found helpful, so check it out if you feel the same way I do. They’ve got links to organizations to support, articles breaking down what’s happening, as well as a kit to send postcards to providers.
Now Let’s Talk About This Monthly Love List…
To recap, my potluck, as defined by the folks at Merriam-Webster is:
the regular meal available to a guest for whom no special preparations have been made… a communal meal to which people bring food to share —usually used attributively ; whatever is offered and available in given circumstances or at a given time.
Now who’s ready to see what ended up on my list for April and May 2022?!?
The Speckled Palate participates in affiliate programs. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases. Please refer to my disclosure page for more information about these affiliate programs.