Could we talk for just one second about how it’s already JUNE? Where the heck is this year going? What are y’all up to this summer?
After an absolutely bonkers month of May, we’re in town for most of the summer, and I’m really excited to spend this time in our new-ish town, exploring and seeing what’s fun to do here during the sweltering months. Also, I firmly believe I will be finding someone with a pool in the near future since it’s getting to be a bit toasty already!
That being said, here are my snippets for the week, highlighting images and randomness from our trip to Louisiana last weekend for a wedding, then spending the rest of the weekend in town seeing all our friends and family members. It was fabulous, in case you were wondering.
1. Winston and I drove down to Louisiana last weekend for a wedding of friends in his hometown. We had a blast.
2. Lucy came with us, and she thoroughly enjoyed the car ride.
3. I enjoyed the car ride a little less than our enthusiastic pup, so I took some goofy selfies, prettied them up in the A Beautiful Mess app and sent them to my mother and sister. Because that’s how I roll.
4. I spent last Sunday and Monday with my longtime friend and hot date, Em. She and I have been friends since my FRESHMAN year at LSU, which means we’re approaching the 10-year mark in our friendship, which is nuts.
5. We visited some of my favorite Baton Rouge establishments together that Sunday, ended up at the outlets for a 50% off sale at the J.Crew Outlet, then came home to watch baseball with Emily’s boyfriend and his brother. We drank Abita seasonal beer, and we grilled all the good things, including corn, all kinds of veggies, barbecue chicken and BOUDIN! (And lucky for us, Em’s boyfriend is a grillmaster, so the corn and the grill did NOT go up in flames like they have for me in the past.)
6. That evening, we went swimming in their neighbor’s pool after our dinner. We unsuccessfully tried to teach Lucy to swim. And I am convinced that we will one day get her in the water happily because she was SO curious when Dudley, Emily’s 6-month-old GIANT Golden Retriever, was paddling all around the pool. She kept putting her paws on the first step and watching him intently as he happily retrieved all kinds of toys thrown to him.
7. Needless to say, Lucy and Dudley were fast friends. The two of them got into all kinds of trouble together, including wading into the muddy, small pond behind the house and chasing two stray cats all around the yard while almost giving me a heart attack because they almost ran into the road more than once and got attacked by the more-than-a-little-angry kitties. … Clearly, they had a blast.
8. I’ve been reading a TON recently. In case you were wondering, I highly recommend The Age of Miracles, and I thought The Devil in the Junior League was a super fun, beach-y read. Next up on my list are Code Name Verity and Water for Elephants. … Do y’all have any recommendations for me? Send ’em on over!
9. In continuing with the reading theme, could I just say how awesome the Dallas Public Library is? Because it’s fabulous, and I am so glad to have a membership there. It’s making my reading addiction a lot less expensive.
10. I’m finally recovered from all the travel of the month of May, and I am so excited about this summer, my new pair of shoes that were purchased with Swappy in Vegas and the fact that my dog’s hair is growing out from when we had her buzzed a few weeks ago. She looks a lot less goofy now.