It’s 2014! Hooray!
Let’s start the year off strong with a favorite brunch cocktail of mine… the Bloody Mary! (In fact, this was the first drink I served my mother and myself on New Year’s Day before our annual Gumbo Get Together.)
I wasn’t always a Bloody Mary fan. In fact, I avoided this brunch favorite like the plague because I’d heard horror stories from friends about imbibing one too many Bloody Marys.
I didn’t want to experience what they had, so I didn’t even try a Bloody Mary until I knew what I was doing… which meant I waited until I was 28 years old.
Yes, I know, it’s kind of ridiculous, but I figured that safe was better than sorry in the case of this spicy drink. And I’m glad I waited because that first Bloody Mary was divine… and I’ve been making and ordering them ever since.
Here is how I make mine:
- Slice of lemon
- 2-3 ice cubes
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- Six drops of hot sauce (I used [url href="http://www.louisianapepper.com/"]Louisiana Hot Sauce[/url])
- Six twists of the black pepper mill
- Bloody Mary Mix (I used [url href="http://www.zingzang.com/"]Zing Zang[/url])
- Celery sticks for garnish
- Put a slice of lemon and 2-3 ice cubes in a tall glass, then add the Worcestershire sauce, freshly squeezed lemon juice, celery salt, hot sauce and the black pepper.
- Stir to coat the ice, then fill the glass about 1 1/2" from the top with the Bloody Mary mix and pour in a generous measure of vodka.
- Stir well, garnish with a celery stick (or spicy green beans) and enjoy.
Are you a Bloody Mary fan?