The Cocktail Chronicles: Bloody Mary

by Erin on January 6, 2014

in drink, The Cocktail Chronicles

The Cocktail Chronicles + Tailgate Thursday: Bloody Marys // The Speckled Palate

It’s 2014! Hooray!

Let’s start the year off strong with a favorite brunch cocktail of mine… the Bloody Mary! (In fact, this was the first drink I served my mother and myself on New Year’s Day before our annual Gumbo Get Together.)

I wasn’t always a Bloody Mary fan. In fact, I avoided this brunch favorite like the plague because I’d heard horror stories from friends about imbibing one too many Bloody Marys.

I didn’t want to experience what they had, so I didn’t even try a Bloody Mary until I knew what I was doing… which meant I waited until I was 28 years old.

Yes, I know, it’s kind of ridiculous, but I figured that safe was better than sorry in the case of this spicy drink. And I’m glad I waited because that first Bloody Mary was divine… and I’ve been making and ordering them ever since.

Here is how I make mine:

5.0 from 1 reviews

Bloody Mary

Recipe type: Drinks
  • Slice of lemon
  • 2-3 ice cubes
  • 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
  • ¼ teaspoon celery salt
  • Six drops of hot sauce (I used Louisiana Hot Sauce)
  • Six twists of the black pepper mill
  • Bloody Mary Mix (I used Zing Zang)
  • Vodka
  • Celery sticks for garnish
  1. Put a slice of lemon and 2-3 ice cubes in a tall glass, then add the Worcestershire sauce, freshly squeezed lemon juice, celery salt, hot sauce and the black pepper.
  2. Stir to coat the ice, then fill the glass about 1½” from the top with the Bloody Mary mix and pour in a generous measure of vodka.
  3. Stir well, garnish with a celery stick (or spicy green beans) and enjoy.

Are you a Bloody Mary fan?

Jenn @ Party of One January 6, 2014 at 12:23 pm

OH my goodness! My mouth is now watering and I want a cocktail…while working…at 1:22pm ;) Great recipe- I’m going to have to give it a try!

Erin January 6, 2014 at 3:29 pm

Thanks, Jenn! This is a GREAT one, and I seriously hope you like it. Also, I felt kind of bad posting a cocktail recipe on a Monday just after the first of the year, but you know what? It’s all good. And this is a great way to kick things off right…

Kathy January 6, 2014 at 9:04 pm

I am the biggest wuss when it comes to anything spicy. I have gotten much better with spicy sushi, curry, and other things but haven’t tried a bloody mary yet. I wonder if it is still good without all of that hot sauce or should I just go all the way. ;)

Erin January 16, 2014 at 6:04 pm

As someone who isn’t really into crazy spicy things, I’ll say that the heat added by the hot sauce isn’t unbearable. :) You could also mix it up without the hot sauce, taste, then add accordingly!

Eileen January 6, 2014 at 11:06 pm

It has been far, far too long since I’ve had a good bloody mary! They are definitely the best part of brunch. So delicious.

Erin January 16, 2014 at 6:05 pm

They really ARE the best part of brunch, though I enjoy balancing them out every so often with a mimosa because those are also divine. You should fix the whole not having had a good Bloody Mary in a long time thing. ;)

laurasmess January 6, 2014 at 11:53 pm

You know what, I’ve never had a bloody mary. NEVER. And I just turned 30!! Is that a travesty? Your pictures look gorgeous but I guess I’ve just never been enticed by the idea of a tomato juice cocktail. I do like gazpacho though so I guess it’s a natural progression… :)
Gorgeous post Erin! I might just venture into bloody mary territory this year… maybe ;) x

Erin January 16, 2014 at 6:08 pm

Don’t feel too bad about that, Laura. I didn’t have a Bloody Mary until I was in my late 20′s… and it was totally worth the wait. And I think liking gaspacho totally works in the Bloody Mary’s favor because it’s similar… Let me know if you venture into the territory this year. Interested to hear what you think!

Kelly @ hidden fruits and veggies January 7, 2014 at 7:18 am

I’ve never had a bloody mary! I told myself on my last vacation I’d have one with breakfast one day, but mimosas won out every time. One day I will try these!

Erin January 16, 2014 at 6:09 pm

Well, mimosas ARE pretty good, so I can’t say I blame you… However, I want to know what you think of a Bloody Mary when you try one!

Drea January 7, 2014 at 9:40 am

I’ve never had a Bloody Mary, but always wanted to try one. I have a childhood story involving Bloody Mary that made me avoid all things surrounding the name until… well not too long ago lol. And since I’m 28, it may be high time that I try one. Thanks for sharing your recipe :)

Erin January 16, 2014 at 6:09 pm

Ha. I understand about the name being kind of cringe-worthy. Here’s to trying to not being so bad and being over the childhood story that previously made you avoid Bloody Marys!

Jess January 7, 2014 at 10:13 am

Hi Erin! Recipe looks delicious! I’ve never tried a Bloody Mary before- but I’m sure it’s so tasty! Love the photos! :)

Erin January 16, 2014 at 6:19 pm

Jess, thanks so much for the compliment! The recipe IS delicious, and I definitely recommend a Bloody Mary if you’re into spicy things and stuff like this.

Alli January 7, 2014 at 12:05 pm

Yum! I love a Bloody Mary. I also love when people set up a make your own Bloody Mary bar probably because I’m obsessed with any food that has a do-it-yourself element to it.

Happy New Year!

Erin January 16, 2014 at 6:20 pm

Wait, wait, wait.

PEOPLE SET UP MAKE YOUR OWN BLOODY MARY BARS?

Where can I find this and enjoy it? Because that sounds ah-mazing!

kelly leiva January 11, 2014 at 8:06 pm

LOVE LOVE a Bloody Mary, here is a great addition to one, rim the glass with old bay seasoning! It is wonderful!! Your Bloody Mary sounds divine!

Erin January 16, 2014 at 6:23 pm

You and me both, Kelly! I love your addition to adding the Old Bay Seasoning to the rim of the glass. Definitely gonna try that next time! Thanks!