Start off gameday with this twist on a brunch classic: The Bloody Maria. The Maria is a sister to the Bloody Mary, and you simply swap the vodka with tequila. Spicy and a wonderful kick-start to any tailgate, the Bloody Maria can be dressed however you like it — with celery, pickled green beans, jalapeños and even bacon!
Spoiler alert: I’m not drinking alcohol these days. However, that doesn’t mean I can’t share some of my favorite cocktails with y’all, even if it feels strange to be writing about something I currently will not touch.
Today’s It’s Football Season Friday recipe is a gameday favorite of ours, and if you’re starting your tailgating early or attending a morning game, this is a great cocktail to have in your arsenal.
The Bloody Maria is a Bloody Mary… but you swap tequila for the vodka.
It sounds dangerous, I know, but since you can add some heat to this drink, I have to sip slowly because it’s too spicy for me to drink quickly. And that, my friends, makes the Bloody Maria a perfect drink to kick off your gameday because it allows you to ease into the festivities without overindulging too quickly.
Intrigued? Here’s how I make mine:
- 6 oz . Zing Zang Bloody Mary Mix (or your favorite)
- 2 oz . tequila
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Garnish with celery stalks , pickled green beans and jalapeño
- In a cocktail shaker, measure in the celery salt and seed. Then pour in the Bloody Mary Mix, tequila, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce.
- Mix the ingredients in the cocktail shaker, then pour over ice in a glass.
- Garnish with celery stalks, pickled green beans and pickled jalapeños, and enjoy immediately!