This post is sponsored by Francis Coppola Diamond Collection wine. As always, all opinions and recipe are my own. Thanks for supporting the brands that support The Speckled Palate!
Fire up the grill this weekend and host friends and family for a backyard barbecue! Grilled BBQ Chicken Flatbread makes the perfect centerpiece for an outdoor party. Studded with fresh summer veggies and grilled barbecue chicken, this scrumptious flatbread serves a crowd. Elevate the dish and gathering by pairing it with Coppola Diamond Collection cans. This premium wine comes in three varietals: Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio and Sauvignon Blanc.
I’m just going to come out and say it: Moving is the woooooooorst.
Thankfully, my in-laws traveled to Dallas in mid-July to spend time with us and assist in packing up our old house. And thankfully, we made it into the new house last weekend without too many hitches. Now, we’ve just gotta unpack. 😉
The Saturday night they were with us, we decided to do something special as a thank you for them coming to help us out. So we fired up the grill and made this Grilled BBQ Chicken Flatbread.
Along with the flatbread, we served up ice-cold Coppola Diamond Collection cans for all to enjoy.
Hosting and entertaining is my jam, y’all.
That said, I like my hosting and entertaining to be laid back with a fancier flair. You won’t find any high falutin’ appetizers or fussy entrees around these parts.
However, you will find a combination of the easy, laid back with the gourmet.
And this Grilled BBQ Chicken Flatbread is the epitome of what I’m all about. It’s perfect for an elevated outdoor gathering because the recipe makes FOUR flatbreads (and can easily feed a crowd).
The flatbread also pairs beautifully with Coppola Diamond Collection cans, and that just takes our party to a whole ‘nother level.
Needless to say, these Coppola Diamond Collection cans are my new favorite for entertaining!
The wines are delicious (hello, you’ve tried Coppola’s white wines, yes?) and the cans make them so, so, so convenient for any gathering.
We iced ours in a huge silver bucket before we went outside, and the wines were ice cold when we opened them up, which is exactly what we wanted since it was almost 109°F!
A little more about this Grilled BBQ Chicken Flatbread: For this event, I really wanted to take something we all know and love and elevate a bit by adding some seasonal produce.
Which explains why there’s zucchini, red onion, purple bell pepper and fresh basil all on this flatbread.
If there’s another veggie you’d rather use that pairs with barbecue chicken, knock yourself out!
If you’re not into veggies, you can leave them off completely… but I love the color and flavor they add!
Flatbread and wine… that’s an interesting pairing.
I know, right? I spent a summer in Italy and was introduced to the deliciousness of wine paired with pizza.
The same idea applies here. These crisp, bright Coppola Diamond Can wines work beautifully with the barbecue chicken flatbread.
There’s something incredibly refreshing when a cooooooold drink is paired with hot flatbread.
How do you grill flatbread?
It’s as simple as throwing the flatbread on a clean grill and letting it crisp up. I recommend only lighting the flame on half of your grill, though, and cooking the flatbread on the unlit side.
If you let the flame flicker directly beneath your flatbread, it could burn before the toppings are done cooking through.
I don’t have a grill. Can I still make this Grilled BBQ Chicken Flatbread?
Yes! You could very easily make this Grilled BBQ Chicken Flatbread in a grill pan or in the oven.
In the oven, preheat to 450°F. Place a baking sheet or a pizza stone in the oven as it preheats. When the oven is ready, remove the baking sheet/pizza stone, and assemble the flatbread on it. Bake for 4-8 minutes, or until the crust is crispy and the cheese has melted, then remove and slice. Easy peasy!
What’s the difference between flatbread and pizza crust?
Before brainstorming up this post, I didn’t know the answer to this question. But flatbread is typically unleavened, unlike pizza dough, which oftentimes calls for yeast.
What do I need to make these flatbreads?
- Grill (or if you don’t have this, a grill pan or an oven)
- Baking dish or gallon-sized plastic bag (for marinating the chicken)
- Kitchen mallet
- Baking sheet
- Kitchen thermometer
- Pizza cutter
What are some other dishes I can serve at this outdoor gathering?
- Grilled Peach Bruschetta
- Caramelized Onion Guacamole
- Grilled Zucchini Rollatini
- Grilled Hawaiian Pizza (use some of your flatbread instead of pizza dough for this!)
- Roasted Strawberry Cheesecake Popsicles
Now who’s ready to whip up some of this goodness for their guests?
Scroll on down to see how I made this flatbread…
Fire up the grill this weekend and host friends and family for a backyard barbecue! Grilled BBQ Chicken Flatbread makes the perfect centerpiece for an outdoor party. Studded with various fresh summer veggies and grilled barbecue chicken, this scrumptious flatbread serves a crowd. Elevate the dish and gathering by pairing it with Coppola Diamond Collection cans. This premium wine comes in three varietals: Chardonnay, Pinot Grigio and Sauvignon Blanc.
- 1 lb. chicken breasts, , boneless, skinless, pounded flat
- ½ cup barbecue sauce (store-bought or homemade are both OK)
- 4 flatbreads (8" x 10")
- ½ cup pizza sauce (store-bought or homemade are both OK)
- 8 oz. mozzarella pearls
- Barbecue Chicken, recipe above, sliced thin
- 1 zucchini, ribboned or sliced very thin
- ½ red onion, sliced thin
- 1 purple bell pepper, sliced thin (can use green if you cannot find purple!)
- Basil leaves, for topping
Marinate + Grill the Barbecue Chicken
- Place the chicken breasts into a baking dish or a plastic bag.
- Measure in the barbecue sauce.
- Transfer the dish/bag into the refrigerator, and let the chicken marinate for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Near the end of the marinating time, preheat the grill to 450°F.
- When the grill is at the proper temperature, turn off the fire on one side. This is where the chicken will cook. (If you don’t do this and leave the flame on, there’s a very real chance your chicken will get burnt to a crisp because the barbecue sauce will catch fire.)
- Cook the chicken until it reads 165°F on the inside. (Ours took 10-15 minutes.)
- Remove from the grill, and chop into thin strips.
Make the Flatbreads
- Once the chicken has cooked, cover the grill, and let the heat continue to circulate while you make the flatbreads. Leave one section of burners off so you don’t risk burning the flatbread, too.
- In a glass bowl, combine the pizza sauce and barbecue sauce. Stir until combined, then set aside.
- Place a flatbread on a baking sheet.
- Spread some of the pizza sauce-barbecue sauce mixture on top of the flatbread.
- Add the mozzarella pearls on top of the sauces.
- Add the sliced BBQ chicken, ribboned zucchini, red onion slices and sweet purple bell pepper slices.
- Transfer the flatbread to the preheated grill.
- Grill for 5-10 minutes on the side without the flame.
- When the cheese has completely melted, remove from the grill.
- Sprinkle with torn basil leaves.
- Slice the flatbread, and enjoy warm!
- Repeat three more times for more flatbread, and enjoy!
If you don’t have a grill, you can very easily make this Grilled BBQ Chicken Flatbread in a grill pan or in the oven. Preheat the oven to 450°F. Place a baking sheet or a pizza stone in the oven as it preheats. When the oven is ready, remove the baking sheet/pizza stone, and assemble the flatbread on it. Bake for 4-8 minutes, or until the crust is crispy and the cheese has melted, then remove and slice.
Serving Size:1 8-inch x 10-inch flatbread
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1077Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 153mgSodium: 2130mgCarbohydrates: 144gFiber: 7gSugar: 21gProtein: 73g