These slightly sweet, slightly tart Greek Yogurt Cut Out Sugar Cookies are the perfect sugar cookie for making with the family during the holiday season or throughout the year. Makes 3 dozen cookies.
We couldn’t finish off this week without a sugar cookie recipe, right?
I won’t lie to y’all. I’m a big sugar cookie fan… but I’ve tried so many recipes that were simply too sweet for me. (Strange, I know, especially since I love all kinds of sweets!)
This recipe strikes the perfect balance: a fluffy, slightly crunchy and slightly tart cookie, topped with glorious simple powdered sugar icing. (You could also use Easy Lemon Icing if you’re feeling fancy!)
Other cut out cookie recipes we love: All-Butter Tea Cake Cookies / Chocolate Wafer Cookies with Mint Chocolate Ganache / Lemon Tea Cakes / Sweet Potato Sugar Cookies with Fluffy Marshmallow Icing / Pumpkin Spice Sugar Cookies
This recipe is adapted from one my mother gave me entitled ‘Sour Cream Cut Outs.’ Unfortunately, I don’t keep sour cream around the house, and while looking at recipes for this week, I thought it might be fun to substitute in some Greek yogurt in place of the sour cream, as I already had some at my home.
These sugar cookies are a crowd pleaser, and they are perfect for all kinds of holiday get-togethers. And if I see you at one, there’s a good chance I’ve brought some of these to share the holiday cheer.
These slightly sweet, slightly tart Greek Yogurt Cut Out Sugar Cookies are the perfect sugar cookie for making with the family during the holiday season! The dough, which is made creamier with Greek yogurt, comes together quickly before chilling in the fridge. Roll out and cut into fun, holiday shapes before baking and decorating with simple powdered sugar icing. These cookies are sure to be a hit this season!
- ¼ cup vegetable shortening
- ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 3 ¼ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
Make the Dough
- In a large bowl, cream the shortening, applesauce, sugar, egg and vanilla extract together until incorporated and lightened slightly. Then add the Greek yogurt and mix until combined.
- In another bowl, sift together the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda and salt.
- Slowly, mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients until all have been incorporated.
- Chill the dough for at least an hour.
Bake the Cookies
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- On a heavily-floured surface, roll out the dough to a 1/4" thickness and create the cookies using cookie cutters.
- Place the cookies on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet, and bake for 8 minutes or until cookies have risen slightly and browned on top.
- Allow to cool completely, then ice with powdered sugar icing.
Makes 3 dozen cookies, depending on the size of your cookie cutters.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 cookie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 80 Total Fat: 2g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 1g Cholesterol: 6mg Sodium: 68mg Carbohydrates: 14g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 6g Protein: 2g