This Avalanche Cookie recipe first appeared on Savory Experiments, where I am a contributor.
Avalanche Cookies are the ultimate easy treat to make any time of the year! This 4-ingredient no bake cookie recipe is sweet, salty, crunchy and perfect for sharing. Makes 58 cookies.
No Bake Avalanche Cookies
If you’re in the market for a no bake cookie recipe that tastes amazing and comes together quickly, these Avalanche Cookies are calling your name!
While I’m unsure where they get their name (and quite honestly, I’ve done a lot of searching), they are an avalanche of deliciousness and an easy, no bake treat for the whole fam.
Whether you want to share them in a cookie gift box (or a cookie tray) at the holidays or want an easy no bake treat for any occasion or time of year, this recipe is SOLID.
Why I love these cookies:
It’s hard NOT to love a no bake cookie like these Avalanche Cookies.
A few things we love about them include:
- They come together FAST! The piece of this recipe that takes the longest is the cooling of the cookies themselves.
- This no bake cookie recipe is so simple to make. Chances are, you’ve got its simple ingredients in your pantry already.
- Our kids can make them on their own… with a little safety oversight.
- They can be easily customized with mix-ins and toppings.
- They can be made gluten free, for those who need a gluten free cookie. (Pro tip: Not all crispy rice cereal is gluten free. Read the ingredients on the box.)
No matter what you want to make these cookies for, they’re a delicious treat, and this recipe makes more than enough to share!
The hardest part is honestly letting them cool off before diving in!
More easy sweet treats to try: Homemade Brownie Skillet with Oreos | Cheesecake Dip | Valentine’s Day White Chocolate Chex Mix | Peanut Butter Pretzel Bites | Oreo Rice Krispie Treats | No Bake Peanut Butter Bars with Pretzels
Got sweet teeth? Check out my Dessert Recipe Index for inspiration.
What you need to make this recipe:
The Speckled Palate participates in affiliate programs. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases. Please refer to my disclosure page for more information about these affiliate programs.
- Baking sheets
- Parchment paper, wax paper or a Silpat mat
- Large microwave-safe bowl
- Smaller mixing bowl
- Rubber spatula
- 1-tablespoon scoop for cookies
Let’s talk ingredients!
In addition to the tools above, you’re going to need some ingredients to make this recipe, too! Chances are, you might already have some of them in your fridge or pantry. Scroll down to the recipe card for the full measurements and instructions.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- White chocolate melts – or you can use high-quality white chocolate chips, if you’d prefer those.
- Peanut butter – creamy peanut butter is my favorite, though I know chunky peanut butter would add interesting texture.
- Crispy rice cereal (AKA Rice Krispies Cereal) – use your favorite brand. I used a brown rice kind that is gluten free so I could share these with a neighbor who has celiac.
- Mini marshmallows – make sure yours are fresh! Chewy marshmallows clump together and will not mix into the cookies evenly like soft marshmallows will.
- Peanut butter allergy or dislike? Swap it for almond butter or cookie butter spread.
- Instead of white chocolate, use the same amount of candy melts (also known as white candy coating) or even white almond bark.
Mix-ins for no bake peanut butter cookies:
This no bake cookie base is perfect for adding in more ingredients if you feel like it!
I’m sure you can tell from these photos that my family ALWAYS feels like adding fun ingredients into these.
I recommend stirring in ½ cup to ¾ cup of the mix-ins and seeing how the cookies look and feel before scooping them. You can always add more on top.
Here are some of our go-to mix-ins:
- Salted peanuts
- Mini chocolate chips
- Mini white chocolate chips
- Butterscotch chips
How to make Avalanche Cookies
Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
Combine the crispy rice cereal and marshmallows in a large bowl. Mix with a rubber spatula until combined.
Melt the white chocolate melts in the microwave in 30-second intervals. Stir after each round until smooth and completely melted.
You could also do this in a saucepan over low heat on the stovetop.
Add the peanut butter to the melted white chocolate, and stir until smooth.
Pour the warm white chocolate-peanut butter mixture over the crispy rice cereal mixture. Stir until completely coated.
Add any mix-ins, if desired, and stir until incorporated.
Use a 1-tablespoon cookie scoop to scoop the cookies onto the prepared cookie sheets. They will be sticky!
Add extra toppings, if desired.
Refrigerate for 30-45 minutes, or until the white chocolate mixture is set.
How to store these no bake treats
Once the cookies are chilled, transfer to an airtight container for storage.
If layering the cookies, place a sheet of wax paper between the layers.
Store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
Frequently Asked Questions
Avalanche Cookies are easy no bake cookies that can be easily made gluten free. They are delicious and wonderful for sharing!
I’ve detailed it above, but we like to customize this recipe with fun mix-ins, be they peanuts, M&Ms, mini chocolate chips, etc. You could also swap the peanut butter for another creamy nut butter if you cannot enjoy peanut butter.
Quick Tips and Tricks for making the best no bake cookies
- Make sure to plop them onto a parchment or wax paper-lined baking sheet. This will prevent them from sticking.
- Have fun with the mix-ins. My kids love having the option to add what they want to their bowl of cookies. You can add in whatever makes you happy. Just don’t add too much!
- Make them gluten free by reading the ingredients on the crispy rice cereal box. Not all crispy rice cereal is gluten free, though some brands are.
Other no bake desserts to try:
Avalanche Cookies are the ultimate easy treat to make any time of the year! This 4-ingredient no bake cookie recipe is sweet, salty, crunchy and perfect for sharing.
- 10 oz. white chocolate melts (or white chocolate chips)
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter (275g)
- 4 cups crispy rice cereal (160g)
- 1 cup mini marshmallows (95g)
Additional mix-ins (add ½ - ¾ cup total)
- Mini chocolate chips
- Salted peanuts
- M&Ms or other miniature chocolate candies
- White chocolate chips
- Butterscotch chips
- Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Combine the crispy rice cereal and marshmallows in a large bowl. Mix with a rubber spatula until combined. Set aside.
- Melt the white chocolate melts in the microwave in 30-second bursts. Stir after each round until smooth and completely melted. (Mine took about 2 minutes. Keep an eye on it because you do not want them to burn.)
- Add the peanut butter to the melted white chocolate, and stir until smooth.
- Pour the warm white chocolate-peanut butter mixture on top of the crispy rice cereal mixture. Stir until completely coated.
- Add any mix-ins, if desired, and stir until incorporated.
- Scoop the cookies onto the prepared baking sheets with a 1-tablespoon cookie scoop or a spoon. They will be sticky and messy, and this is OK.
- Add extra toppings, if desired.
- Refrigerate for 30-45 minutes, or until the white chocolate mixture is set.
How to store: Once chilled, transfer to an airtight storage container. If layering the cookies, place a sheet of wax paper between the layers. Store in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 101Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 41mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 0gSugar: 8gProtein: 2g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate.