Last Updated on
Chewy Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies are studded with chocolate chips and gingerbread goodness are sweet and decadent for the holidays. Makes 24 cookies.
There is nothing better in the world than a gooey cookie straight out of the oven. Particularly one that fulfills my incessant dark chocolate cravings and served with a side of ice cold milk… and scarfed three at a time.
… Just me?
This recipe fulfills these needs for me, and I would gladly stand over the still-warm baking sheet and consume cookie after cookie, not bothering about burning my fingertips and simply enjoy the fantastic combination of dark chocolate and gingerbread. These cookies are soft in the middle and crunchy on the outside, and they best served warm.
I can’t get enough of them… and I think this might be my favorite recipe from this year’s Christmas Cookie Week. Honestly.
Christmas Cookie Week continues with this twist on a seasonal favorite: Chewy Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies! These chocolate cookies that are studded with chocolate chips and gingerbread goodness are sweet and decadent for the holidays.
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened (1 stick)
- 1 tablespoon ginger, fresh, grated and peeled
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup unsulfured molasses
- 1 ½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1½ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons boiling water
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- Line one large baking sheet with parchment paper or a nonstick baking mat.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, ground ginger, cinnamon and cocoa.
- In a stand mixer fit with the paddle attachment (or with a handheld mixer), cream the softened butter and fresh ginger together until lightened.
- Add the brown sugar to the butter/ginger mixture, and mix until smooth.
- Add the molasses to the butter and sugar mixture. Stir on medium speed until combined.
- In a small bowl, dissolve the baking soda in the boiling water.
- Beat half the flour mixture into the wet ingredients, mixing until combined, then pour in the baking soda mixture. Pour in the rest of the flour mixture, and mix until combined.
- Add the chocolate chips, and stir in with a spoon.
- Pat the dough into a round on plastic wrap, and chill in the refrigerator for two hours.
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Roll the dough into 1" balls in the palm of your hand, and roll in the granulated sugar. Place on the parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Chill for 20 minutes in the freezer.
- Once cookies have chilled, bake for 12 minutes or until browned around the edges but gooey in the middle.
- Let cool for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire racks to complete drying.
Makes about 2 dozen cookies.
These cookies are best consumed immediately, but they can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 cookie
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 153 Total Fat: 6g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 11mg Sodium: 59mg Carbohydrates: 24g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 16g Protein: 1g
Do you have a recipe like this, where you would gladly burn your fingers just to eat bite after bite of just-baked goodness?