Cool down on a hot summer’s day with Spiced Rum Horchata Pops! Dairy free and refined sugar free, these popsicles make the perfect adult dessert. Made with cashews, white rice and water, the homemade horchata blend of this pop is seasoned with cinnamon, vanilla and maple syrup. Mix in the rum, then freeze in popsicle molds. These cinnamon-y and creamy popsicles make a delicious afternoon or evening treat!
This post contains affiliate links. If you were to make a purchase through one, I would receive a small commission. For more information about the affiliate programs The Speckled Palate participates in, please refer to my disclosure page.
It’s POPSICLE WEEK!
*does the Snoopy happy dance*
*claps my hands*
*shuffles to the computer screen to actually write about these gorgeous pops after expending entirely too much energy dancing and clapping*
Yeaaaaaaaah. So I’m a bit excited about all the beautiful popsicles that are being shared around the blogosphere this week, and I’m thrilled to be a part of it.
Today, I’ve got a fun spiked (!) vegan (!) popsicle for y’all that’s naturally sweetened. Because everyone deserves a creamy, spiked popsicle on a hot day. Lord knows it’s been hot recently.
What is horchata?
Horchata is a beverage that’s popular Spain, Latin America and the United States. Every region has its own variation, meaning you’ll see horchata made with ground almonds, rice or other grains. Some is dairy-free, others include dairy. Horchata can be served warm or cold.
What if I don’t want to add the rum to these popsicles?
Leave it out! These Spiced Rum Horchata Pops can be made alcohol-free by leaving the booze out and adding a bit more cinnamon for additional spice. A booze-free horchata popsicle would be perfect for kids to enjoy on a sweltering summer day.
What supplies do I need to make Spiced Rum Horchata Pops?
I’m not sure if I’ll like these Spiked Horchata Popsicles. Do you have something else I might enjoy?
- Pimm’s Pops
- Peach Julep Popsicles
- Blueberry Cheesecake Popsicles
- Patriotic Paleo Popsicles
- Peaches and Cream Popsicles
- Blackberry and Strawberry Yogurt Popsicles
Still interested in these?
Here’s how you can make ’em:
Cool down on a hot summer's day with Spiced Rum Horchata Pops! Dairy free and refined sugar free, these popsicles make the perfect adult dessert. Made with cashews, white rice and water, the homemade horchata blend of this pop is seasoned with cinnamon, vanilla and maple syrup. Mix in the rum, then freeze in popsicle molds. These cinnamony and creamy popsicles make a delicious afternoon or evening treat!
- 1 cup cashews, raw and unsalted
- 1/3 cup white rice, uncooked
- 2 ¼ cups warm water
- 1 cinnamon stick, (about 5" long)
- 2/3 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1/3 cup spiced rum, (or a bit more, to taste, if that's your thing!)
- In a large bowl, measure out the cashews, white rice and warm water. Add the cinnamon stick on top. Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning, pour the soaked ingredients and soaking liquid into the base of a blender. Remove the cinnamon stick.
- Add the maple syrup, vanilla extract and additional water to the mix.
- Blend on high until the mixture is smooth.
- Using a cheesecloth or a fine mesh strainer, strain the popsicle base. (Doing this more than once will ensure your popsicles aren't gritty. I strained mine twice, and mine turned out pretty smooth.)
- Once the popsicle base is strained, add the rum, stirring until well incorporated.
- Pour the popsicle mix into a popsicle mold. Transfer to the freezer, and freeze for one hour before adding the popsicle sticks.
- Freeze for an additional 6 hours, or until the popsicles are solid.
- Enjoy cold!
Serving Size:1 popsicle
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 116 Total Fat: 5g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 67mg Carbohydrates: 15g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 10g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 2g