Celebrate fall flavors with a Pumpkin Whiskey Smash! This 3-ingredient pumpkin cocktail highlights your favorite whiskey, a homemade pumpkin spice syrup and lemon juice! Come learn how to mix up this smash cocktail recipe that makes a small pitcher! Makes 4 drinks.
‘Tis the season for all things pumpkin, and I am here for it!
I’m especially here for pumpkin spice cocktails, which I feel are such a fun and unique way to use one of the beloved spices of the season.
This cocktail, specifically, is incredible with wonderful pumpkin flavor.
But first, let’s talk about the type of drink this is…
Whiskey Smash variations:
There are no hard and fast rules to making any cocktail a “smash” drink, so we get to pick and choose what we like as we go!
My friend Chrissie breaks this down a lot more eloquently in her post about a Peach Whiskey Smash.
Basically, a smash cocktail needs fruit, a base spirit/alcohol, a splash of another non-alcoholic liquid like a club soda or ginger ale, mint or other herb and a sweetener, like simple syrup, maple syrup, agave nectar, honey or even sugar.
The beauty in this Pumpkin Whiskey Smash cocktail is that it’s simple and it makes 4 drinks, which are perfect for sharing.
(If you’re interested in more smash cocktails, let me suggest Cherry Smash with Honeysuckle Vodka.)
Why we love this recipe:
It’s hard not to love this recipe, to be honest, because it just calls for three ingredients and one of ‘em is a mainstay in our fridge throughout this entire season.
- It’s quick to make! Assuming your syrup is made (and I have a recipe for you if you need to make it!), you only need two more ingredients to make this happen!
- You can make it in advance. Just don’t ice the pitcher if you’re gonna chill it for a while or your drinks will become diluted.
- It’s great for a crowd! Seriously—who wouldn’t love to share this kind of pitcher drink with their people on a chilly fall evening?
Need cocktail inspiration? Check out my Drink Recipe Index for some ideas!
What you’ll need to make this recipe
The Speckled Palate participates in affiliate programs. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases. Please refer to my disclosure page for more information about these affiliate programs.
Let’s talk ingredients!
In addition to the tools above, you’re going to need some ingredients to make this recipe, too! Chances are, you might already have some of them in your fridge or pantry. Scroll down to the recipe card for the full measurements and instructions.
Here’s what you need:
- Whiskey — use whatever whiskey you’ve got on hand, but please, don’t use the really nice sipping whiskey.You can also use bourbon (which is a type of whiskey) or rye. Personally, we loved Bulleit Rye in this cocktail.
- Pumpkin spice syrup — yes, like the stuff in your pumpkin spice latte. We’re going to make it at home. This is essentially a spiced, fancier version of classic simple syrup.
- Lemon juice — squeeze it fresh from lemons, please. You can get 2-3 tablespoons of juice out of a single lemon, so you’ll need 2-3 total for this 4-drink pitcher.
- Garnish ideas — lemon wedges, star anise, cinnamon sticks, fresh mint or rosemary sprigs
How to make this Pumpkin Whiskey Smash recipe
Make the pumpkin spice syrup. This is a combination of sugar, water, pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie spice. I detail how to make it in this post over here.
Make sure to chill it before adding it to your cocktail, so I suggest making this in advance.
Make the pitcher. Combine your whiskey with freshly squeezed lemon juice and pumpkin spice syrup. Stir to combine.
Serve. Rim glasses with sugar or cinnamon-sugar. Add ice. Pour the pumpkin cocktail into the prepared glasses, and garnish.
You may use lemon wedges, star anise, cinnamon sticks, mint or even rosemary sprigs to garnish this cocktail.
Erin’s Easy Entertaining Tips
This Pumpkin Whiskey Smash is the perfect fall entertaining drink around. I can envision sitting around a fire pit with friends, sipping from our drinks and catching up around the fire.
This would also be great for an at-home happy hour or even a tailgate party at your house, too.
Here are a few tips and tricks to make it as easy as possible:
- Prep the ingredients in advance. Make your Pumpkin Spice Syrup up to a week in advance. Juice the lemons before guests arrive. You can purchase cold pressed lemon juice from the store in the refrigerated section. Basically, make it as easy as possible on yourself to make and serve this recipe.
- Create a Pumpkin Whiskey Smash Bar. Print out the recipe, and set out the ingredients in labeled bowls and pitchers. Set out a jigger, some old fashioned glasses and a bucket of crushed ice, and let guests make and garnish their own pumpkin cocktail.
- Double or triple the recipe to make a large pitcher. If you’re serving a large crowd, a pitcher is the way to go. Just don’t add ice to the pitcher itself, and you can let this goodness chill overnight in the fridge.
Frequently Asked Questions
A smash cocktail needs fruit, a base spirit/alcohol, a splash of another non-alcoholic liquid like a club soda or ginger ale, mint or other herb and a sweetener, like simple syrup, agave nectar, honey or even sugar.
So many things mix well with whiskey. This pumpkin spice syrup combined with lemon juice makes a tart-sweet cocktail.
Quick tips and tricks for making the best whiskey smash
- Double or triple the recipe! If you’re hosting folks for any kind of gathering and think they’ll want more do that!
- Make the pumpkin spice syrup in advance. Keep it in the fridge and nice and cold!
- Use fresh squeezed lemon juice. It really makes a difference in the taste, and the shelf-stable stuff isn’t the same.
More pumpkin cocktail recipes:
Looking for some more unique pumpkin drinks to mix up?
If you want a mocktail, try out Cranberry Pumpkin Cold Brew Coffee Drink.
Want to make this one?
Here’s how you make this fall-flavored drink:
Celebrate fall flavors with a Pumpkin Whiskey Smash! This 3-ingredient pumpkin cocktail highlights your favorite whiskey, a homemade pumpkin spice syrup and lemon juice! Come learn how to mix up this smash cocktail recipe that makes a small pitcher!
- 1 cup (8 oz.) whiskey
- 1 cup (8 oz.) pumpkin simple syrup
- ¼ cup (2 oz.) lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- Ice, for serving
- Lemon wedges, star anise, cinnamon sticks, fresh mint or rosemary sprigs, for garnish
- In a pitcher combine the whiskey, pumpkin simple syrup and lemon juice. Stir until combined. This can be done hours in advance, if you want to chill the pitcher in the fridge.
- Rim glasses with sugar and fill with ice.
- Pour into the prepared glasses, and enjoy!
This recipe can be doubled or tripled for a large crowd!
Fun garnish ideas: Rim the glasses with sugar. Add lemon wedges, star anise, cinnamon sticks, fresh mint or rosemary sprigs for extra beautiful garnishes.
Make ahead tip: Make the pitcher the night before, and keep it in the fridge until it’s time to serve. Just be sure to not add ice because that will dilute it.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 cocktail
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 162Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 12mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 1gSugar: 40gProtein: 0g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate.