Celebrate with vegan, healthy Chocolate Banana Ice Cream! Instead of using heavy cream and whole milk, freeze a banana, then blend it until smooth with cocoa powder and pure vanilla extract. This creamy, dreamy “ice cream” is the perfect dessert to enjoy for a birthday!
One year ago today, our lives changed indefinitely.
One year ago today, we finally got to meet and hold our little girl.
It’s a big day, and while Lady Baby doesn’t know the significance of this day, I want to celebrate!
The thing is… while I’m making cupcakes for her party this coming weekend (strawberry, because she’s her mother’s daughter), we wanted to do a little something for her today.
Enter this Chocolate Banana “Ice Cream.”
Lady Baby and I flew solo while Winston was out of town for work last week. While he was gone, I may or may not have allowed her to eat a few bites of my ice cream.
Unsurprisingly, she was a big fan.
So to celebrate her first birthday today, I thought it would be lovely to make her some healthier “ice cream.” Because even though she and I both love the real stuff, I really don’t want to give her too much sugar. Which is why she’s only had a few spoonfuls of actual ice cream and why the cookies she’s devoured were not given to her by us. (Yes, she took the cookies herself. Because she intrinsically knows cookies are something she wants to eat. Smart kid.)
And even though I have a banana allergy, my baby girl l-o-v-e-s bananas these days, so I knew this recipe is going to be a new favorite of hers.
I cannot wait to give this treat to Lady Baby tonight!
Here’s how I made it:
Chocolate Banana "Ice Cream"
- 3 ripe bananas , sliced and frozen
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Place the frozen bananas in the bowl of a food processor.
- Measure in the cocoa powder and vanilla extract, then turn on the food processor.
- Blend until the bananas are completely smooth. This may take upwards of 5 minutes, so don't fret if it's running for a while.
- Once smooth and blended, transfer to a freezer-safe container, and freeze overnight.
- Scoop when it's time to celebrate (or enjoy dessert!), and enjoy.