Last Updated on
Hey, y’all. I’m Michelle. I blog over here, and I also have an addiction to pancakes. And it’s fall, so pumpkin is ubiquitous. So the obvious thing to do was to combine the two. (I also have an addiction to coffee. So I combined coffee and pumpkin with a recipe for pumpkin spice syrup on my own blog today, too. Happy weekending!)
My favorite recipe for buttermilk pancakes is a slight adaptation from The Joy of Baking. And as far as I’m concerned, pancakes ought to be buttermilk. The tang and thickness that you get from using buttermilk in pancakes takes them from “oh, yeah. I like pancakes” to “mmmmm, pancakes.”
The key to this recipe, as with any pancake recipe, is to not overmix. And to keep the stove under medium at all times. Oh, and when you add the melted butter, make sure it’s cooled enough to not cook the eggs in the batter. Or you get scrambled egg pieces in your pancakes. Not ok.
This Buttermilk Pumpkin Walnut Pancakes recipe is a perfect remedy to fall doldrums. The result is a not-too-sweet, seriously fluffy pancake that is perfectly paired with maple syrup.
- 1 ¾ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled (plus more for the pan)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Handful of chopped walnuts
- Melt the butter first. Then let it cool while you're mixing everything else
- Mix all the dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl
- Mix all the wet ingredients together in a medium mixing bowl
- Look at the beautiful color of your wet ingredients.
- Whisk the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients. Do not overmix!
- Scoop by 1/3 cups onto a medium-heated frying pan with melted butter. Sprinkle walnuts. When edges are firm, turn the pancake and cook through.
1 teaspoon cinnamon makes these more "pumpkin pie"
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 489 Total Fat: 22g Saturated Fat: 8g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 13g Cholesterol: 118mg Sodium: 701mg Carbohydrates: 62g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 15g Protein: 14g