This post is sponsored by Sprouts Farmers Market. As always, all opinions, thoughts and recipes are my own.
Serve Shredded Applesauce Chicken Sliders with Brussels Sprouts Apple Slaw at your next tailgate or weeknight dinner! Made in the slow cooker, these chicken sliders are juicy and topped with an amazing homemade coleslaw. Gameday never tasted so good!
Love sliders for gameday or a family dinner? Don’t miss Hamburger Sliders with Bacon Cherry Compote, BBQ Chicken Burger Bites with Avocado Slaw and Pork Tenderloin Sliders with Red Wine Reduction Sauce!
This post contains affiliate links. If you were to make a purchase through one, I would receive a small commission. For more information about the affiliate programs The Speckled Palate participates in, please refer to my disclosure page.
Tailgating is a way of life down here in the South, and I like to think I learned from the best while attending LSU.
Not to toot our horn or anything, but gameday at LSU is something else, and it’s a delicious endeavor.
Not only are you fed by your friends and family, but as you walk around, strangers (and friends of friends of friends) happily invite you to partake in their tailgate festivities, offering food, drinks and company as you prepare for the game later in the day.
So when fall rolls around and football season begins, I always want to make tailgate recipes, whether or not we’re making the trek to Baton Rouge (or another locale) to cheer on our beloved Tigers.
And I got my first chance to do that this year when my friends at Sprouts approached me about creating a game day recipes with some serious fall flavor to celebrate their partnership with Amazon Prime Now for two-hour grocery delivery in select regions.
These Shredded Applesauce Chicken Sliders with Brussels Sprouts Apple Slaw are everything I want in a tailgate entrée.
They’re savory with a bit of sweetness.
They can be held easily (and not so messily) in hand for when you want to walk around.
And they taste like the fall.
When these beauties were cooking, my entire home smelled of fall flavors, and it made me so happy. Because even though it’s still warm outside here, fall will arrive. Eventually. 😉
I highlighted several of my favorite Sprouts apple products, including a sugar-free organic applesauce and a Gala apple juice varietal that’s delish!
Oh, and there are apple slices in that Brussels sprouts slaw. Because fresh apple goodness, on top of all the apple-y deliciousness in the chicken, just puts it over the top!
Shredded Applesauce Chicken Sliders with Brussels Sprouts Apple Slaw Essentials
Get the look!
Scroll on down to learn how to make this goodness for your next tailgate, homegate or even a weeknight dinner. Either way, it’s a wonderful meal!
Serve Shredded Applesauce Chicken Sliders with Brussels Sprouts Apple Slaw at your next tailgate! These sliders can be made in advance for an easy entertaining the day of. Chicken slow cooks with applesauce and other fall flavors before it's shredded. Reduce the cooking liquid to be used as a sauce, then shred Brussels sprouts and apples and toss in a yogurt-apple juice dressing. Serve the sliders on buns, and enjoy! Gameday never tasted so good!
Chicken + Sauce
- 1 cup Sprouts Organic Applesauce
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 2 ½ lbs.)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 12 Slider buns, halved and toasted
- 12 oz. Brussels sprouts, shredded
- 1 Granny Smith apple
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt
- ½ cup Sprouts Organic Gala Apple Juice
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon celery seed
Make the Sauce + Cook the Chicken
- In the base of the slow cooker, combine the applesauce, apple cider vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, maple syrup, hot sauce, garlic powder, cinnamon and salt. Whisk until combined.
- Add the chicken to the slow cooker, cover and turn on LOW.
- Cook for 4-5 hours, or until the chicken is pull-apart tender.
- When the chicken is done, remove from the slow cooker, and shred using a fork.
- Pour the juices into a saucepan. Heat over high heat on the stovetop.
- In a small bowl, measure out a few tablespoons of the sauce. Add the cornstarch, and whisk until smooth.
- Pour the cornstarch mixture into the saucepan, and simmer for 15 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened to the consistency of a barbecue sauce.
- Remove from the heat, pour into a mason jar, and set aside for later.
Make the Slaw
- Using a very sharp knife or a mandoline, shred the Brussels sprouts and apple.
- In a large glass bowl, measure out the Greek yogurt, apple juice and maple syrup. Whisk together, then season with salt, pepper and celery seed.
- Add the Brussels sprouts and apples into the sauce, and toss with tongs until everything is coated.
Prepare the Sliders
- Toast the slider buns.
- Layer some of the shredded chicken, then top with the chicken-apple sauce.
- Add the slaw on top of the chicken.
- Repeat as many times as necessary.
- Serve immediately.
This recipe can be made a day or two in advance for stress-free entertaining. Cook the chicken as directed. Once the chicken has been shredded, store in the refrigerator. Reduce the sauce, pour into a mason jar and store in the refrigerator, too.
The slaw will need to be made the day of so the Brussels sprouts and apples don’t become soggy. However, you can mix the wet ingredients and refrigerate overnight.
Don’t skip the sauce reduction step. While the sauce is delicious when it comes out of the slow cooker, it’s very thin. This could cause it to soak through the slider buns too quickly, making them soggy. The reduction allows for the chicken to sit on the buns for longer, allowing you more time to put these together and serve without worrying about the sliders turning to mush in someone’s hands.
Serving Size:1 slider
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 202Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 34mgSodium: 450mgCarbohydrates: 26gFiber: 3gSugar: 9gProtein: 18g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate.