This post is sponsored by Sprouts. As always, all opinions and recipe are my own. Thanks for supporting the brands that support The Speckled Palate!
Add natural sweetness to breakfast or brunch by baking a Vegan Breakfast Apple Crisp this holiday season! This festive breakfast crisp, sweetened only with pure maple syrup, features tart apples and pomegranate arils. The fruits’ sweetness is offset with acidity from lemon and orange juice. Topped with a simple, gluten free crumble made from rolled oats, pecans, coconut oil, maple syrup and spices, this crisp is sure to become a favorite!
This post contains affiliate links. If you were to make a purchase through one, I would receive a small commission. For more information about the affiliate programs The Speckled Palate participates in, please refer to my disclosure page.
Thanksgiving Brunch rolls on today with a VEGAN, gluten free and naturally sweetened recipe!
Hip, hip, hooray!
While we aren’t vegans in our household, I always like to keep my friends and family in mind as we prepare for the holidays. Whenever I host an event—whether it’s a holiday meal, a homegate, an impromptu dinner—I sure there’s something for everyone who attends, whether or not we abide by their diet.
I like being considerate of my guests.
Also, I really appreciate it when people do the same thing for me, what with my occasional-lactose intolerance and my weird food allergies. (I’m lookin’ at you, bananas and pineapples.)
And with the holidays right around the corner, it’s important for us all to have enjoyable food to eat, right?
And that, my friends, is at the heart of this Vegan Breakfast Apple Crisp.
My friends at Sprouts Farmers Market challenged me to make a plant-based, family-style entrée for the fall. And this week, they have a variety of plant-based ingredients like Silk, So Delicious, Gardenburger, Vega and Amazing Grass on sale!
So head on down to your local store and pick up some, and then come home and make something delicious for your friends and family, too!
I took Sprouts’ challenge guidelines and ran with them, whipping up a naturally sweet breakfast crisp to feed to friends and family.
This recipe is simple and oh-so-delicious for everyone in your life, whether or not they’re vegan, eating a low sugar or gluten free diet. And that’s a win in my book because who would turn down a scoop of this goodness?
The apples are crisp and tart. The pomegranate arils add pops of brightness. The lemon and orange juices add some acidic sweetness, and when paired with the pure maple syrup? Dreamy.
Top with a crunchy crisp topping, and this breakfast/brunch entrée is absolutely golden.
Vegan Breakfast Apple Crisp Essentials:
Get the look!
Now who’s ready for a big serving of this family-style entrée?
Scroll on down to learn how to make this Vegan Breakfast Apple Crisp at home and wow guests with its deliciousness!
It’s so tasty that they won’t even notice there’s no added sugar or gluten!
Add natural sweetness to breakfast or brunch by baking a Vegan Breakfast Apple Crisp this holiday season! This festive breakfast crisp, sweetened only with pure maple syrup, features tart apples and pomegranate arils. The fruits' sweetness is offset with acidity from lemon and orange juice. Topped with a simple, gluten free crumble made from rolled oats, pecans, coconut oil, maple syrup and spices, this crisp is sure to become a favorite!
- 7 ½ cups Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced (about 8 apples)
- ½ cup pomegranate arils
- 2 tablespoons orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 lemon, juiced
- ¾ cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- ½ cup pecans, chopped
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
Preheat the Oven + Prepare the Filling
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a large baking dish with nonstick cooking spray, and set aside.
- In a large glass bowl, combine the sliced apples and the pomegranate arils. Toss with a rubber spatula until mixed.x
- Pour the orange juice, maple syrup and lemon juice over the mixture.
- Stir until every piece of fruit has been coated.
- Pour the fruit mixture into the prepared baking dish, and set aside.
Make the Topping
- In another large glass bowl, measure out the old-fashioned rolled, chopped pecans ground cinnamon and salt. Using a rubber spatula, toss until combined.
- Pour in the maple syrup and coconut oil, stirring until every piece of oatmeal and nut has been coated. (It should be pretty wet.)
- Using your fingers, pick up small pieces of the topping. Sprinkle the topping over the prepared apple-pomegranate mixture.
- Top with additional cinnamon.
Bake the Crisp
- Transfer the baking dish to the preheated oven, and bake uncovered on the middle rack for 45 minutes.
- Raise the temperature to 375°F, and bake for an additional 15 to crisp up the topping.
- Remove from the oven, and let cool before serving!
For this recipe to be TRULY gluten free, purchase gluten free rolled oats. (They will be clearly marked.)
Serving Size:1 serving
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 215Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 70mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 5gSugar: 21gProtein: 2g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate.