Combine two springtime favorites—mint chocolate chip ice cream and Guinness beer—to make a decadent Mint Chip Guinness Beer Float! These adult ice cream floats are the perfect dessert beverages to sip while celebrating St. Patrick’s Day. Makes 1 float, but can easily be doubled for a crowd.
Love beer float recipes? Don’t miss this Salted Caramel Guinness Float and Chocolate Guinness Milkshakes with Irish Whiskey Cream!
Two years ago on March 9, our lives changed forever. After keeping us waiting on pins and needles, our daughter was born eight days late.
And in celebration of her birthday… I’ve made something she can’t enjoy.
Look, kiddo, I adore you. And in 19 years, I will happily make one of these beauties for you. But for the meantime, I’ll just scoop you up a bowl of mint chocolate chip ice cream, and I’ll drown my matching scoop in Guinness.
These Mint Chocolate Chip Guinness Beer Floats remind me of the root beer float that I insisted upon when we got to the recovery wing after Lady A’s arrival. (Fun story: I was terribly swollen from labor and delivery, and when I smiled, my cheeks basically caused my eyes to close. I’ve included photographic proof below.)
Why I love this recipe:
These beer floats right here are a boozy twist on that fateful float I enjoyed a day after our child arrived. And they’re perfect for St. Patrick’s Day festivities.
Minty ice cream combined with the stout flavors of Guinness make a perfectly harmonious dessert. It’s not too sweet, nor is it too bitter. This float is easy to make for yourself OR a crowd, and just requires 3-4 ingredients, depending on what you want to garnish them with.
So if you’re a stout skeptic like I once was, give these floats a try and see if the combination works for you… because it totally works for me.
Other St. Patrick’s Day dessert ideas: Chocolate Chip Irish Cream Pound Cake | No Churn Guinness Brownie Ice Cream | Chocolate Guinness Cupcakes with Bailey’s Frosting | Irish Cream Biscuits with Boozy Chocolate Ganache
Need more St. Patrick’s Day inspiration? Head on over to my St. Patrick’s Day recipe index for food ideas!
What you need to make Mint Chip Guinness Floats
The Speckled Palate participates in affiliate programs. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases. Please refer to my disclosure page for more information about these affiliate programs.
- Ice cream soda glasses (or another larger parfait cup to hold the ice cream and Guinness mixture)
- Ice cream scoop
- Bistro ice cream spoons
- Festive paper straws (and these ones in black and gold)
In addition to these tools, you need a few ingredients, too.
- Hot fudge sauce
- Mint ice cream
- Guinness draught (or another stout beer)
- Sweetened whipped cream (or your favorite whipped topping)
How to make a Mint Chip Guinness Beer Float
First and foremost, drizzle the warmed hot fudge sauce inside the parfait glasses, creating patterns on the glass. Have fun with this; it doesn’t need to be perfect or uniform.
Scoop in the mint chocolate chip ice cream, then pour the Guinness (or your stout beer of choice!) over the ice cream slowly so the float does not overflow. Fill it to the top.
Finish with sweetened whipped cream and additional hot fudge, and enjoy immediately!
Erin’s Easy Entertaining Tips
St. Patrick’s Day is a fun party to host at home, especially if you’ve got little ones in the house and don’t foresee yourself spending time out bar hopping like you used to. 😉
After all, minty, chocolatey ice cream combined with the dense deliciousness of Guinness is heavenly. Your St. Patrick’s Day party totally calls for these floats.
You’ll need more than these beer floats, so here are some ideas for St. Patrick’s Day Party Food. Also, here are a few tips and tricks to making boozy ice cream floats en masse:
- Purchase more than enough supplies. That means getting extra ice cream and Guinness (or your stout beer of choice.)
- Make it an ice cream float bar! This would be especially fun to let guests decorate and make their own. Keep in mind that if kids are in the house, though, that you’ll want to keep the beer separate. I’d make a regular mint chip float for the kids and let adults grab a Guinness from the fridge to make theirs off.
- Keep the ice cream cold. If you’re having a float bar, situate the ice cream in a champagne tub or a cooler to ensure it doesn’t melt.
Frequently Asked Questions
A beer float is a dessert that combines beer and ice cream. It’s like the traditional root beer float, but with your favorite beer. (In this case, we’re using Guinness for St. Patrick’s Day!)
YES! While beer and ice cream might not something you might consider as a good combination, they work super well together.
Yes, they do! And we use them together in this beer float recipe!
Sure! While we love mint chip, I know that’s not everyone’s favorite. Vanilla would work beautifully, as would chocolate.
Scroll down to learn how you can make them…
Combine two springtime favorites: mint chocolate chip ice cream and Guinness Draught into decadent Mint Chip Guinness Floats! These adult ice cream floats are the perfect dessert beverages to sip while celebrating St. Patrick's Day! Drizzle your favorite hot fudge sauce into the glasses, and then scoop in the ice cream. Pour in the Guinness, and finish with more hot fudge sauce and whipped cream. Enjoy these sweet, stout boozy floats immediately!
- 1 tablespoon hot fudge sauce, warmed
- 2-3 scoops mint chocolate chip ice cream
- 6 oz. Guinness
- Whipped cream and additional hot fudge sauce, for finishing
- Drizzle the warmed hot fudge sauce inside the parfait glasses, creating patterns on the glass.
- Scoop in the mint chocolate chip ice cream.
- Pour the Guinness over the ice cream, pouring in slowly so the float does not overflow. Fill to the top.
- Finish with fresh whipped cream and additional hot fudge, and enjoy immediately!
To make several floats all together, drizzle in the hot fudge of all the glasses, then scoop the ice cream into each of them. Finish with the Guinness, then the optional finishing options, and enjoy immediately.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1184Total Fat: 55gSaturated Fat: 33gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 18gCholesterol: 179mgSodium: 523mgCarbohydrates: 147gFiber: 5gSugar: 114gProtein: 18g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate.