Last Updated on
Finish your summertime patriotic feast on the lighter side with Berry Pound Cake, full of blueberries and strawberry puree, then topped with homemade whipped cream and fresh berries. This pound cake, which is completely dairy free, makes a perfect dessert for a warm summer’s day.
This post contains affiliate links. If you were to make a purchase through one, I would receive a small commission. For more information about the affiliate programs The Speckled Palate participates in, please refer to my disclosure page.
Berries are my favorite, and I knew I wanted them to play a part in my July 4th dessert this year.
The question was how to make a recipe that was simple, easy to make in advance and refreshing but not as simple as serving fresh berries in a bowl and calling it a day.
I found the answer in this ultra-moist pound cake, which is dairy free. (High-five for dairy free desserts!)
… Then I went and served with homemade whipped cream.
Once again, my mother was called in to help make this because, as previously discussed, whipped cream is not my forte. However, if you’re avoiding dairy products, I suggest chilling a can of coconut cream and whipping it up to make whipped coconut cream. Use the same technique and add the powdered sugar, and you’ll be set.
Berry Pound Cake Essentials
Get the look!
Here’s how I made this dessert:
Berry Pound Cake
- 1 cup fresh blueberries , tossed in 1 tablespoon unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Blueberries and Strawberries , sliced
- 1 cup strawberries , blended
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- A pinch of kosher salt
Make the strawberry puree
- In a blender, combine the strawberries and the sugar. Blend until pureed and smooth. Set aside.
Make the pound cake
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a loaf pan with baking spray, and set aside.
- In a small bowl, measure the flour, baking powder and salt. Stir until incorporated. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg and sugar together until smooth.
- Pour in the almond milk, olive oil and the vanilla extract, whisking until well incorporated.
- Sprinkle the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, folding them into the batter until smooth.
- Pour the strawberry puree into the batter, folding it until the mixture is combined.
- Add the blueberries to the mixture, folding the berries into the batter until just mixed in.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan.
- Bake for 1 hour, then insert a knife or a toothpick to check the doneness. Bake for an additional 30 minutes, checking every 10, until the pound cake is cooked through.
- Let the pound cake come to room temperature.
Make the whipped cream
- In a medium-sized glass bowl, whip the heavy whipping cream with a hand mixer at a high speed.
- Sprinkle in the powdered sugar and the salt as the cream is being whipped.
- When it reaches the desired consistency, stop the hand mixer. Serve immediately, or cover with plastic wrap until time to serve.
Serve the pound cake
- Slice the room temperature pound cake.
- Serve with a dollop of whipped cream and fresh berries sprinkled on top.
To make this recipe completely dairy free, whip cold coconut cream with a hand mixer.