Naturally sweetened popsicles are where it’s at during the summertime! Cool down with these tart and slightly sweet Blackberry and Strawberry Yogurt Popsicles.
It’s hot outside, y’all, and since this summer is slowly dragging on, I’ve been getting creative about not using the oven as much as possible to keep our home cool. These popsicles are an attempt at that, and I’d like to think they’re a pretty awesome one.
But first? I’ve got a story for y’all, and it kind of pertains to these popsicles.
A month ago, I learned that I am lactose intolerant. However, I’m not allergic to milk, so that’s good news. And all the other allergies I used to have minus cockroaches? Gone. The doctor thinks I’m “sensitive” to the environment, so that’s a nice surprise. Better to be sensitive than actually be allergic.
Since I learned this heartbreaking information, I’ve been trying my best to stay away from most dairy products, minus the occasional sprinkle of cheese. And when I find myself in a situation (read: at a pizza parlor needing a slice of cheese pizza) where dairy products are unavoidable, I’ve begun carrying dairy digestive pills around in my purse.
As a girl who used to drink a TON of milk in her younger years, this has been a major lifestyle change, and I have been having fun experimenting with non-dairy milks and basically am head-over-heels for any kind of almond milk I’m given.
So you must be wondering about this dessert, right?
Sadly, it is not dairy free. In fact, these popsicles call for Greek yogurt and were envisioned before my whole debacle with milk.
The good news? It’s not a ton of dairy, and the amount of yogurt found here doesn’t bother me. Woohoo! Small victories! (And for the next popsicles I make? Dairy free, y’all. Just because I think it’d be fun to experiment.)
Added bonus? These pops are sugar free, sweetened only with honey and the berries added to sweeten them. And Winston, who thought the popsicles I made last summer were too tart, gave this new recipe his seal of approval!
Here’s how you make them:
Blackberry and Strawberry Yogurt Popsicles
- 1 cup blackberries
- 1 cup strawberries
- 2 tablespoons local honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- Puree the blackberries and strawberries together in a food processor.
- Strain the berries into a bowl.
- In the bowl with the berry puree, add the honey and lemon juice.
- Pour a tablespoon of the puree into the bottom of the popsicle molds.
- In the bowl, combine the Greek yogurt with the puree, and stir until just combined.
- Fill the molds up the rest of the way, then put in the popsicle sticks.
- Pop in the freezer, freeze for 8+ hours, then enjoy on a hot summer afternoon!