Dark chocolate, raspberry and bourbon, oh my! This Boozy Stracciatella and Raspberry Gelato is the perfect combination of decadent flavors and scoops up beautifully for a summer dessert. Not a bourbon fan? Skip it completely or add spiced rum for a different flavor!
*sports announcer voice* Iiiiittttttttttttt’s Ice Cream Sundae Week!
Are you excited?
You should be!
I’m teaming up with eighteen — yes, 18! — other bloggers to bring you some new and innovative ice cream recipes this week, as well as a fabulous ice cream lover giveaway! (More on this a bit further into the post.) Needless to say, I am thrilled to be sharing this recipe because, well, it’s got a story.
Nine years ago, I spend my summer studying art in Italy. I lived in a small Etruscan town; the one where Under the Tuscan Sun was filmed; and spent my days making portraits, painting still lifes, studying art history and walking up and down a ginormous hill, which my fellow students and I lived atop.
It was a glorious summer. It was a summer of learning; it was a summer of rekindling my love for portraiture; it was a summer of indulgence.
When I say I ate gelato every day, I legit mean EVERY. day.
The little gelateria in town served the best stracciatella gelato, and I normally purchased my daily quantity after dinner.
Stracciatella means “a little shred” in Italian and is used to describe three different foods. The stracciatella I’m talkin’ about is the milk-based gelato that is filled with fine chocolate flakes.
That was my jumping off point for Ice Cream Week.
Then when I was purchasing ingredients for this gelato, I stumbled upon a really good raspberry deal and couldn’t not purchase a few pints of the summer berries.
So it was going to be dark chocolate and raspberries infused in this gelato.
Aaaaaaaand then I got home and thought it might be delicious to add bourbon. As one does.
So, basically, I bastardized a traditional Italian gelato, and it could’ve gone either way. Except it turned out to be really ridiculously delicious.
It’s also versatile.
If you’re not a bourbon fan, sub spiced rum instead for a different flavor.
If you’re not into alcohol at all, just add a tablespoon or two of bourbon or vodka to the ice cream base to help it freeze smooth.
And if you’re into boozy ice cream? Let me tell ya exactly how I made this:
Dark chocolate, raspberry and bourbon, oh my! This Boozy Stracciatella and Raspberry Gelato is the perfect combination of decadent flavors and scoops up beautifully for a summer dessert.
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 oz. bourbon
- 6 oz. dark chocolate chips, melted
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon bourbon
- 1 pint raspberries
- 5 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ¼ cup water
The day/night before
- In a large saucepan, whisk the milk and 1/2 cup of the heavy whipping cream together. Add the sugar. Turn on the heat to medium-low, and stir slowly. Do not turn the heat up, as you do not want to scald the milk in this stage!
- Separate the egg yolks from the egg whites. Toss the egg whites. Place the egg yolks in a bowl, and add the additional 1/2 cup of heavy whipping cream. Using a whisk, stir until combined.
- When the milk and cream are just bubbling around the sides of the saucepan and the middle has a faint ripple, temper the egg yolk mixture.
- Once the yolks are tempered, begin whisking the mixture on the stovetop and slowly pour the yolk mixture in. Whisk constantly until the mixture has thickened.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat, and stir in the vanilla and whiskey, whisking until incorporated.
- Using a fine mesh strainer, strain the custard base to remove any lumps from the mixture. Pour into a glass or metal container to store overnight, and place a piece of plastic wrap on the surface of the custard. (Do not stretch it over the bowl, as a film will form on top of the custard.)
- Refrigerate the custard overnight.
The day of
- In the microwave, melt the dark chocolate with the butter. Stir every 30 seconds until smooth. Pour in the bourbon, then set aside.
- On the stovetop, make the raspberry swirl. Bring the raspberries, water and sugar to a boil. When the sugar has dissolved, pour the mixture into a mixer. Mix until combined, then strain with a fine mesh strainer to remove all seeds.
- Pour half the raspberry mixture into the chocolate mixture. Set aside.
- Make the ice cream: Follow your ice cream maker's manufacturer's instructions.
- When the ice cream has thickened, slowly drizzle in half of the chocolate mixture. Be sure to do this slowly and with a light drizzle, as you don't want big chunks of chocolate in the ice cream.
- When the ice cream is finished in the ice cream maker, pour half of the mixture into a frozen loaf pan.
- Drizzle the raspberry mixture, then the chocolate mixture over it.
- Cover these with the other half of the ice cream, and top with more raspberry drizzle.
- Use a knife to swirl the raspberry into the ice cream.
- Finish the ice cream with the rest of the dark chocolate mixture drizzled on top of it.
- Cover well with plastic wrap, and freeze for 4-6 hours, or until it is frozen solid.
- Serve cold, and enjoy!
And now, who’s ready for that spectacular ice cream giveaway?!
I teamed up with 18 other bloggers to share innovative ice cream recipes with you and to bring you a delectable ice cream making giveaway. We’re using the hashtag #weekofsundaes on social media this week. Check out our blogs to see all of our ice cream recipes throughout the week:
Ashley at Spoonful of Flavor // Ashley at Cookie Monster Cooking // Madison at Wetherills Say I Do // Erin at The Speckled Palate // Julia at Tag & Tibby // LeAndra at Love & Flour // Molly at Hey There Sunshine // Nick at Macheesmo // Meredith at Meredith Noelle // Heather at Sugar Dish Me // Linda at Brunch with Joy // Katie at Twin Stripe // Erica at Crumby Cupcake // Beth at bethcakes // Meghan at Cake ‘n Knife // Dan at The Food in my Beard // Bethany at Bethany Grow // Cate at Chez CateyLou // Susannah at Feast + West
One lucky winner will get this BIG ice cream making prize pack that’s worth more than $265! See the Rafflecopter below to enter to win this amazing set. The prize pack includes:
- A Cuisinart Pure Indulgence 2-Quart Automatic Frozen Yogurt, Sorbet and Ice Cream Maker with double-insulated 2-quart freezer bowl // $165 value
- A Chef’s Choice Waffle Cone Express Ice Cream Cone Maker // $70 value
- Set of four 6-ounce Tovolo Mini Sweet Treats Tubs // $13 value
- A Zeroll Original Ice Cream Scoop // $19.95 value
- Enter the giveaway through the Rafflecopter widget below. Everyone gets a free entry! You can enter multiple times, up to 20 additional entries by following the ice cream week contributors on social media. (If you’ve followed in the past, that counts! Just enter the info as prompted.) All entries will be verified. No purchase is necessary to win.
- The giveaway is open until Monday, Sept. 7, 2015 at 10 a.m. EST. One winner will be chosen at random and emailed within 48 hours. Winners must claim prize within 48 hours of initial contact. The retail value of the prize is $265. Prizes shown in the graphic are the only ones available.
- Open to U.S. residents with a valid shipping address only. Must be 18 years of age as of Aug. 17, 2015.