Last Updated on
Surprise your family and friends by baking these seasonal Pumpkin Blondies with a Caramel Cream Cheese Swirl this year! A twist on a traditional blondie, these treats sing of pumpkin-flavored goodness. Makes 24 blondies.
When I initially thought of creating these sweet little blondies, I envisioned them with a simple, decadent caramel swirl.
The problem was… when I added the caramel and swirled it in by itself, it transformed these blondies into something akin to bread pudding. #foodbloggerfail
Let me be clear–I’m not talking bad about bread pudding because bread pudding is awesome. But I didn’t want my blondies to be bread pudding blondies.
Because if you’re biting into a blondie, you want it to have a blondie consistency, yes?
So back to the drawing board I went.
The cream cheese keeps these blondies blondie-esque while allowing the caramel to be swirled into the batter.
Oh, and I salted it. Because OF COURSE I DID.
Unsurprisingly, it makes these blondies even more decadent and oh-so-perfect for the fall!
Looking for a fall dish, but don’t know where to start? Check out my Fall recipe collection for inspiration.
Tools and Products you need to make Pumpkin Blondies with a Caramel Cream Cheese Swirl
Disclaimer: The links below are affiliate links. If you click through and take action, I will receive a small commission. Please refer to my disclosure page for more information about the affiliate programs The Speckled Palate participates in.
How to Make Pumpkin Blondies
Make The Caramel Cream Cheese Swirl
In a mixing bowl, measure out your room temperature cream cheese, the caramel sauce and salt.
Pro tip: The cream cheese needs to be at room temperature and not cold so that it can mix well with these other ingredients. It will be clumpy if you don’t give it time to come to temp. Trust me.
Use a hand mixer to whip these ingredients together until smooth and combined. This will take 1-2 minutes, then you can set it aside to swirl into the blondie batter.
Make The Blondies
Preheat the oven, and line your baking pan with parchment paper. Spray it with nonstick cooking spray, too, to ensure that your pumpkin blondies don’t stick.
Combine the pumpkin puree and melted butter in a large mixing bowl. Whisk them together until smooth. Add the eggs to this mixture, as well as the sugar, and whisk until the ingredients are well incorporated and smooth.
In a medium-sized bowl, measure out the flour, cinnamon, ginger, allspice and salt. Whisk these together until combined. (This is so you don’t have clumps of spices or salt in certain areas of your blondies and not others. You want these to be evenly distributed.)
Gently pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Use a rubber spatula to carefully stir them together until just combined.
Pour the pumpkin blondie batter into the prepared baking pan, and smooth the top with the spatula.
Dollop the Caramel Cream Cheese mixture on top of the batter. I like to do this in 3-5 spots so that it’s distributed across the batter instead of one place.
Use a butter knife to swirl the mixture into the batter, dragging the knife from one side of the pan to the other until it has been swirled.
Transfer the pan into the preheated oven, and bake until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Let them cool before slicing and enjoying with a glass of your favorite beverage!
Frequently Asked Questions
What’s the difference between pumpkin puree and pumpkin pie filling? Pumpkin puree is just 100% pure pumpkin. Pumpkin pie filling includes spices and sweetener. Since we’re sweetening and spicing these pumpkin blondies ourselves, we don’t need the extra that the pumpkin pie filling adds.
How will I know these pumpkin blondies are done? When you think they’re done, push a toothpick into the middle of the blondies. Pull it out slowly. If there’s batter remaining on the toothpick, you need to bake it longer. If the toothpick is relatively clean or has crumbs on it, your blondies are done!
Other delightful pumpkin recipes you might enjoy…
- Pumpkin and Kale Risotto Arancini
- Pumpkin Pulled Pork Bowls
- Mini Pumpkin and Kale Mac n’ Cheese Pot Pie
- Dirty Chai with Pumpkin
Now who’s ready to make some of these PUMPKIN blondies?
Surprise your family and friends by baking these seasonal Pumpkin Caramel Cream Cheese Swirl Blondies this year! A twist on a traditional blondie, these treats sing of pumpkin-flavored goodness. Pumpkin puree mixes into the blondie batter, along with traditional pumpkin spices, then the autumn flavors are punched up a notch with the swirling of Caramel Cream Cheese into the batter. These gooey-in-the-middle blondies make a delicious fall dessert!
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and slightly cooled (1 stick)
- 3 eggs
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
Caramel Cream Cheese Swirl
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons caramel sauce
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
Make the Caramel Cream Cheese Swirl
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, measure out the cream cheese, caramel sauce and the salt.
- Using a hand mixer, whip the three ingredients together until smooth and well mixed. This should take 1-2 minutes.
- Set aside.
Make the Blondies
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 9x9 baking pan with parchment paper, then spray with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the pumpkin puree and the melted butter. Whisk together until smooth.
- Crack the eggs in a separate bowl, and pour into the bowl.
- Measure in the sugar.
- Using the whisk, beat until the ingredients are well incorporated and smooth.
- In another smaller bowl, combine the flour, cinnamon, ginger, allspice and salt. Whisk together until combined.
- Pour the dry ingredients into the bowl with the wet ingredients, stirring carefully with a rubber spatula until all the ingredients are combined.
- Pour the blondie batter into the prepared baking pan, smoothing out with the spatula.
- Dollop the Caramel Cream Cheese in 3-5 spots on top of the blondie batter. Use a butter knife to swirl the mixture into the batter by dragging the knife from one side to the other of the pan until the swirl has been created.
- Transfer the baking pan into the preheated oven. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and cool slightly before cutting into the blondies. Enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 blondie
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 123 Total Fat: 6g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 38mg Sodium: 100mg Carbohydrates: 15g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 8g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 2g
Tell me about a recent baking fail.
Have you ever made pumpkin blondies?
This Pumpkin Blondie post was originally published as a part of the #virtualpumpkinparty on October 24, 2016. The recipe and text of this blog post were updated on October 21, 2019.