I hail from a place where pork is king when it comes to barbecue.
I now live in a state where beef is celebrated in barbecue.
And for the Super Bowl this year, I’m making chicken.
Yes, I know. I don’t know what’s even gotten into me.
Let’s say it’s a pregnancy thing?
Whatever the case may be, these Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Sandwiches with Mustard Coleslaw are all kinds of delightful and the perfect dish to feed a hungry crowd on a game day… or at a party, assuming your guests don’t mind sticky fingers as they devour these.
This barbecue sauce, which comes together in the slow cooker as the chicken cooks in it, is just a wee bit sweet with a touch of spice. We both thought the balance of the sauce was divine, then combined with the fall-apart chicken and the equally balanced coleslaw, these Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Sandwiches with Mustard Coleslaw were meant to be.
Needless to say, this meal has been added to our rotation, as slow cooker meals are my current faves.
Here’s how you can make your own for this weekend’s big game:
Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Sandwiches with Mustard Coleslaw
- 4 large chicken breasts
- Mini (or Regular) Hamburger Buns
Slow Cooker BBQ Sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup unsalted chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Sriracha sauce
- 1 tablespoon grainy dijon mustard
- 1 1/2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 16 oz . bag green cabbage and carrot coleslaw , shredded
- 3 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons spicy mustard
- 2 tablespoons grainy dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons BBQ sauce (from the slow cooker!)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon celery seed
- In the slow cooker, measure in the chicken stock, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, honey, soy sauce, Sriracha sauce, grainy dijon mustard, onion powder, garlic powder and salt. Whisk together until smooth.
- Nestle the chicken breasts into the sauce mixture.
- Cook the chicken on LOW for at least six hours. (You can open the slow cooker up occasionally to shred the chicken and see how it's cooking, though you certainly don't have to do this.)
- When the chicken has cooked through in the sauce, prepare the coleslaw.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the Greek yogurt, honey, spicy mustard, grainy dijon mustard, BBQ sauce, apple cider vinegar and celery seed. Whisk together until smooth.
- When ready to serve, heat up the buns, and toss the cabbage and carrot coleslaw into the mustard mixture. (The cabbage will become wilty in the mustard sauce, so don't toss the coleslaw until it's time to serve! We keep ours separate in the fridge and will just throw in the amount needed.)
- Enjoy warm with several napkins!
Recipe NotesThis recipe can be easily doubled or tripled for a crowd.
What kinds of dishes do you like to prepare for a Super Bowl (or sports-watching) party?
Are you making anything special for this weekend’s game?