I hail from a place where pork is king when it comes to barbecue.
I now live in a state where beef is celebrated in barbecue.
And for the Super Bowl this year, I’m making chicken.
Yes, I know. I don’t know what’s even gotten into me.
Let’s say it’s a pregnancy thing?
Whatever the case may be, these Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Sandwiches with Mustard Coleslaw are all kinds of delightful and the perfect dish to feed a hungry crowd on a game day… or at a party, assuming your guests don’t mind sticky fingers as they devour these.
This barbecue sauce, which comes together in the slow cooker as the chicken cooks in it, is just a wee bit sweet with a touch of spice. We both thought the balance of the sauce was divine, then combined with the fall-apart chicken and the equally balanced coleslaw, these Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Sandwiches with Mustard Coleslaw were meant to be.
Needless to say, this meal has been added to our rotation, as slow cooker meals are my current faves.
Here’s how you can make your own for this weekend’s big game:
Prepare for the big game by whipping up this easy and delicious entree. These Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Sandwiches with Mustard Coleslaw are sure to wow your guests without causing additional stress as you prepare for the party.
- 4 large chicken breasts
- 8 Hamburger Buns, buttered
Slow Cooker BBQ Sauce
- 1 cup ketchup
- ½ cup unsalted chicken stock
- 4 tablespoons salted butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 ½ teaspoons onion powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 16 oz. bag of shredded green cabbage and carrot coleslaw
- 3 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 4 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 2 ½ tablespoons BBQ sauce (from the slow cooker!)
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- ¾ teaspoon celery seed
- In the slow cooker, measure in the chicken stock, melted butter, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, honey, soy sauce, hot sauce, mustard, onion powder, garlic powder and salt. Whisk together until smooth.
- Nestle the chicken breasts into the sauce.
- Cook the chicken on LOW for at least six hours. (You can open the slow cooker up occasionally to shred the chicken and see how it's cooking, though you certainly don't have to do this.)
- When the chicken has cooked through in the sauce, prepare the coleslaw.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the Greek yogurt, honey, mustard, BBQ sauce, apple cider vinegar and celery seed. Whisk together until smooth.
- When ready to serve, brush the buns with additional salted butter and toast on a griddle or in a toaster oven.
- Toss the cabbage and carrot coleslaw into the mustard mixture. (The cabbage will become wilty in the mustard sauce, so don't toss the coleslaw until it's time to serve! We keep ours separate in the fridge and will just throw in the amount needed.)
- Layer the chicken and slaw on the toasted buns. Serve warm, and enjoy with your favorite barbecue side dishes.
This recipe can be easily doubled or tripled for a crowd.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 sandwich
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 372Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 53mgSodium: 1121mgCarbohydrates: 54gFiber: 3gSugar: 28gProtein: 26g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate.
What kinds of dishes do you like to prepare for a Super Bowl (or sports-watching) party?
Are you making anything special for this weekend’s game?