Summertime… it’s almost here.
While I don’t look forward to the sweltering days this Texas summer will no doubt bring, I’m thrilled that it’s the time of the year where I can step outside and be engulfed by the smell of a grill firing up and cooking all kinds of delightful meats and veggies. I’m also thrilled that it’s now acceptable to hang out outdoors for unspecified amounts of time, sipping your summer drink of choice as you hear the ice clinking against the side of your glass.
It’s a fabulous time of year, and this recipe fits right in for the summertime.
It combines two of my favorite things: barbecue and burgers. And it’s pretty darn healthy, too, adapted from Lindsey Catarino’s 10-Day Shakeology Challenge from last summer.
Here’s how you make an individual burger… and this recipe can be doubled, triples or quadrupled easily:
Saucy, delicious BBQ Turkey Burgers are topped with roasted onions and homemade barbecue sauce and served up on a toasted bun. This turkey burger is the perfect more healthy burger option for summertime grilling months.
- 2 lbs. lean ground turkey breast
- 6 tablespoon BBQ Sauce
- 2 tablespoons BBQ dry rub
- Salt and pepper, for seasoning
- 6 hamburger buns, toasted
- BBQ sauce
- Cheddar cheese
- Caramelized onions
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment and set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the ground tureky with the BBQ sauce, BBQ dry rub, salt and pepper until well mixed. Shape the mixture into a burger patty and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the burgers are cooked through. (Their internal temperature should reach 165°F.)
- Serve on top of a toasted bun with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 burger
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 457Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 118mgSodium: 823mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 2gSugar: 14gProtein: 55g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate.
What are you looking forward to the most about this summer?