Baked Gnocchi with Chicken
Baked Gnocchi with Chicken is cheesy, hearty and all kinds of comforting. This one-pot pasta recipe is ready in 45 minutes and a simple meal to serve to the whole family any night of the week! Makes 6 servings.
Love easy dinner recipes? You’ve got to try Italian Chicken Meatloaf and Slow Cooker BBQ Pulled Pork.
A while back, I asked my Instagram friends to suggest dishes for me to make.
One friend wrote back, “A gnocchi bake!”
It took me several months to get it right, but we’re here, and this easy gnocchi recipe is delicious for the whole family, as well as for sharing!
Why I love this recipe:
I love an easy dinner that’s cooked and on the table in less than an hour.
This Gnocchi Bake recipe is the kind of comfort food I can get behind all year long, but especially when the days are getting shorter and the weather is getting cooler.
Chock full of shredded chicken (from a rotisserie chicken for ease or from leftover baked chicken, your call) and tomato sauce, this chicken and gnocchi recipe is creamy, cheesy and delicious.
The cheese gets nice and crunchy on top and super gooey beneath, so every bite is just a dream.
It’s also a one-pot recipe, so that’s something, too!
Other easy dinners to make this season: Slow Cooker Baked Potato Soup | Dutch Oven Chicken and Dumplings | Cinnamon Apple Pork Chops | Instant Pot Red Beans and Rice | Ground Beef Tacos | Steak Alfredo
Need more mealtime inspiration? Check out my Dinners Recipe Index for ideas.
What you need to make this recipe:
The Speckled Palate participates in affiliate programs. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases. Please refer to my disclosure page for more information about these affiliate programs.
- Oven-safe skillet (like this Le Creuset 3.5 qt. braiser, as shown in the photos)
- Wooden spoon
- Sharp knife and cutting board
- Box grater
- Garlic press
Let’s talk ingredients!
In addition to the tools above, you’re going to need some ingredients to make this recipe, too! Chances are, you might already have some of them in your fridge or pantry. Scroll down to the recipe card for the full measurements and instructions.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Extra virgin olive oil—or another neutral oil. Avocado oil is another one I would use.
- Onion—you can use a yellow or white onion. You’ll need a large one. Dice it finely.
- Garlic—we need a lot of this. While you can use the pre-minced kind, I’ve found that fresh garlic yields a lot more flavor.
- Shredded chicken—you can make a whole roasted chicken and shred it or simply grab a rotisserie chicken from the store. If you prefer chicken breast, use that. If you like thighs, use those or a combination.
- Tomato puree—grab a can from your favorite brand. Tomato puree is not the same thing as tomato sauce, so please read the label. This is going to form the base of our homemade marinara sauce.
- Chicken stock—you could also use chicken broth.
- Gnocchi—I purchased the shelf-stable kind from the store, but you could easily use fresh gnocchi, too.
- Cheeses—we’re going to use a combination of shredded mozzarella (fresh or store-bought) and parmesan cheese to add some cheesiness.
- Herbs and spices—you’ll need some kosher salt (I use a medium grain kosher salt), as well as black pepper and fresh basil.
How to make Baked Gnocchi with Chicken
Preheat the oven to 400°F. It’s important to do this first because we’ll be throwing the gnocchi recipe into the oven to warm through and crisp up.
Heat the oil in an oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat.
Add the chopped onion. Season with ½ teaspoon of salt. Cook until soft, about 5-6 minutes.
Measure in the garlic. Cook until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
Add the shredded chicken. You want this to warm through. It’ll take about 2-3 minutes tops.
Measure in the tomato sauce and chicken stock. Season with 1 teaspoon of salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
Add the gnocchi, and stir.
Sprinkle on the mozzarella cheese and the parmesan, then transfer to the preheated oven.
Bake for 25 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbly.
Let cool for 5-10 minutes before serving and enjoying!
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! This gnocchi warms through and cooks in the sauce as it bakes instead of boiling on the stovetop.
Gnocchi pairs with so many things! We love it paired with this chicken and tomato sauce and cheese. You could also easily toss it in an alfredo sauce or a pesto sauce, too.
Gnocchi is a potato pasta, so it is traditionally made of cooked potatoes. Ricotta gnocchi is also popular, as is sweet potato gnocchi.
Gnocchi is a pillow soft potato pasta. It’s served in various ways and can be cooked up boiling, pan frying or baking, as shown here.
Quick Tips and Tricks for the best baked gnocchi
- Use a heavy hand with the cheese. It adds awesome creaminess to the pasta dish!
- Customize it to your tastebuds. Use a different style of gnocchi. Swap out the shredded mozzarella for fresh mozzarella.
- How to store: Let the leftovers cool, and transfer to an airtight food storage container. Keep chilled in the refrigerator for up to a week.
More pasta recipes to serve for a weeknight:
- Tortellini Butternut Squash Pasta with Pancetta and Spinach
- Hatch Green Chile Macaroni and Cheese
- Lemon Shrimp Pasta
Now who’s ready to make this gnocchi? Scroll on down for the recipe…
Baked Gnocchi with Chicken
Baked Gnocchi with Chicken is cheesy, hearty and all kinds of comforting. This one-pot pasta recipe is ready in 45 minutes and a simple meal to serve to the whole family any night of the week!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped (2 cups, chopped)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 lb. shredded chicken
- 2 cups tomato puree (500g)
- 1 cup chicken stock (200g)
- 16 oz. gnocchi
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella (120g)
- ½ cup shredded parmesan (50g)
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- Black pepper, to taste
- Fresh basil, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Heat the olive oil in an oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat.
- When warm, add the chopped onion. Season with ½ teaspoon of salt. Cook until soft, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add the garlic. Cook until fragrant, about 1-2 minutes.
- Add the chicken, and warm through, about 2-3 minutes.
- Measure in the tomato puree and chicken stock. Season with 1 teaspoon of salt and pepper.
- Add the gnocchi, and stir to coat.
- Cover with the cheeses.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes, or until golden brown and bubbly.
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.
How to store: Let the leftovers cool, and transfer to an airtight food storage container. Keep chilled in the refrigerator for up to a week.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 448Total Fat: 16gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 94mgSodium: 674mgCarbohydrates: 44gFiber: 4gSugar: 7gProtein: 32g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate.