Oven Fried Okra: Enjoy this Southern classic appetizer/side dish, made a little healthier by simply baking it in the oven. No frying necessary!
Please note that some of the links listed in this post are affiliate links, meaning if you were to make a purchase through one, I would receive a small commission. Thanks for your support of The Speckled Palate!
We’ve established that I am a Southern girl… and I’m about to prove it again with a story of my childhood in the South.
When I was a kid, we’d occasionally drive to Mississippi for fried catfish. Growing up in Memphis, we were close to the border, and it was certainly easy enough to make a trip.
We trekked south for special occasions, taking backroads for some fried catfish. Whenever we enjoyed this Southern delicacy, we would also order hushpuppies, fried pickles and fried okra.
We’d sometimes get dessert, too, assuming we weren’t stuffed to the gills when our meal was over. Because if you’re driving any distance for a meal, you might as well have a decadent sweet, too. (I’ll take two slices of the strawberry cake, mmkay?)
I’ve been obsessed with fried okra since my childhood. It’s a guilty pleasure, and something I crave for no reason other than it is delicious.
It because it reminds me of my childhood, plain and simple.
Fast forward to adulthood.
As someone who tries to eat a balanced diet, I don’t fry food at home. If I want something fried, I order the dish at a restaurant, and I view it as an indulgence.
Because of this, I’ve never actually technically fried anything at home.
ALSO, I’m terrified of accidentally setting my beautiful kitchen on fire. Ever since the incident where the grill went up in flames, I’ve been wary.
This okra recipe is the exception to my whole frying rule, and since it’s technically fried in the oven, it’s a lot less stressful than babysitting a pot of oil. It’s also a lot less messy.
A word to the wise, though: This okra feeds a crowd, so make sure you’ve got some friends or family members over to help you eat!
Erin’s Recommended Tools/Products for Oven Fried Okra
Here’s how you make this delightful dish:
Oven Fried Okra
- 2 cups fresh okra , sliced
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 475°F.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Pour the olive oil onto a baking sheet, and make sure all surfaces are covered. Sprinkle the oil liberally with seasoned salt and black pepper before setting aside.
- Combine the flour, cornmeal, salt and pepper in a bowl. Pour the buttermilk into another bowl.
- Working in small groups, transfer okra into the buttermilk, allowing a few moments to soak before moving into the flour and cornmeal mixture. Coat the okra pieces completely in the mix, then move to the baking sheet.
- Continue this process until all of the okra has been breaded and placed on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then remove the okra from the oven, flipping with a spatula.
- Place back in the oven for an additional 10 minutes (or until cooked through.)
- Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate, and serve warm with ketchup and hot sauce.