Cream Biscuits and White Sausage Gravy

by Erin on January 8, 2014

in baking, breakfast, meats

Southern Biscuits and Gravy // The Speckled Palate

Oh, you’re looking for a decadent breakfast to cook for family and friends?

Look no further than this recipe, y’all.

Before I launch into a story, though, I have to admit that this was originally meant for my Southern style and fashion blog, Delightfully Southern. Due to life and other circumstances, posting has since stopped over there, and I figured there would be nothing wrong in sharing this with y’all, as I’ve heard somebody loves the sound of it and really wants to learn how to make this. And I’m sure there are others of y’all out there, too.

Southern Biscuits and Gravy // The Speckled Palate

So.

Biscuits and Gravy.

It’s a Southern breakfast staple, and it is absolutely delicious, decadent and kind of ridiculous. And if you’re going to make this dish? Don’t try to cut calories and use low fat sausage.

Why, you ask?

It messes up the gravy. Once upon a time, I thought that would be a good idea, and it wasn’t. Oh, it absolutely was not.

Take my word for it, friends, and learn from my mistakes.

If you’re whipping up this brunch favorite, dedicate yourself to going all out in the making of it and follow the principle I’ve learned in recent years: Moderation.

After years of doing it wrong, I now know that biscuits and gravy are all about moderation for me — loading up one biscuit (instead of the three I was eyeing) with just enough gravy and then savoring those flavors throughout breakfast and not going back for seconds or thirds like I used to.

I love them, and I think y’all will, too, especially if you keep the same mindset because nobody wants to be a Biscuits and Gravy zombie after they’ve just eaten half a pan of both… (Trust, y’all.)

Southern Biscuits and Gravy // The Speckled Palate

Interested in taking a walk on the Southern side for breakfast?

Here’s how you can make your own:

5.0 from 3 reviews
Southern-Style Biscuits and Gravy

Cook time

Recipe type: Breakfast
Cuisine: American
  • For the Cream Biscuits (from Southern Biscuits by Nathalie Dupree and Cynthia Graubart)
  • 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1½ teaspoons baking powder
  • 1¼ cups heavy whipping cream
  • Unsalted butter for finishing
  • For the White Sausage Gravy
  • 1 16 oz. package breakfast sausage (full fat)
  • 2½ tablespoons unsalted butter
  • ¼ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
  • 2¼ cups skim milk
  • ¾ cup heavy whipping cream
  • ½ teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
  • Hot sauce (to taste, if you're into that kind of thing)
  1. To make the Biscuits: Preheat the oven to 450°.
  2. Select your baking pan. Nathalie and Cynthia recommend the following: “For a soft exterior, select an 8- or 9-inch cake pan, pizza pan, or oven-proof skillet where the biscuits will nestle together snugly, helping each other tay tender but rise while baking. For a crisp overall exterior, select a baking sheet or other baking pan where the biscuits can be placed wider apart, allowing air to circulate and creating a crisper exterior, and brush the pan with butter.”
  3. Whisk your flour, salt and baking powder together until incorporated. This is your homemade self-rising flour!
  4. Pushing the dry ingredients up against the sides of the bowl, form a hole for pouring the wet ingredients into, and pour in a cup of the heavy whipping cream, and stir with a rubber spatula, using circular motions to pull the flour into the cream. Mix until the dry ingredients are moistened and the dough begins to pull away from the bowl. (If the mixture still has lots of flour remaining, pour in your reserved ¼ cup of heavy whipping cream in by the tablespoon until all the flour has been incorporated into the dough. You don’t want your dough to be too wet, so do this slowly and try not to overmix your batter.)
  5. Lightly sprinkle a board or another clean surface with flour. Turn the dough out onto the dough and cover lightly with flour. Using floured hands, fold the dough in half, and pat it out into a ½″ thick round. Flour again if necessary, as you don’t want your biscuits sticking to the surface, then fold in half again, reforming into another round.
  6. Using a biscuit cutter, cut out the biscuits, starting at the outside edge and cutting close together, being careful not to twist the cutter. Transfer the biscuits to your baking sheet. (Using the scraps, you can pull together another round for more biscuits, though these will be less fluffy.)
  7. Bake the biscuits for 10-14 minutes or until golden brown on top.
  8. Remove from the oven and lightly brush with butter. Turn the biscuits out upside down on a plate to cool, then serve warm!
  9. To make the Gravy: While the biscuits are cooking, make your gravy!
  10. In a medium-sized pan, brown the sausage over medium-high heat.
  11. Once the sausage has cooked through, remove from the pan while leaving the grease (this is SO IMPORTANT, y'all!), and add the butter.
  12. After the butter is melted and combined with the fat from the sausage, sprinkle in the flour, mixing the fat and flour together into a roux. Stir constantly until light brown.
  13. Lower the heat to medium-low, and whisk in the milk and heavy whipping cream. Cook until thickened.
  14. Season the roux and milk mixture with black pepper, then add back in the sausage.
  15. Simmer for 12-15 minutes, then enjoy warm over homemade biscuits.

Southern Biscuits and Gravy // The Speckled Palate

Have you ever eaten this decadent Southern breakfast? Were you a fan or not?

Jenn @ Party of One January 8, 2014 at 9:52 am

HOLY COW! These look AMAZING. I’ve pinned it for later because I’m so making these someday. YUM, YUM, YUM!

Erin January 13, 2014 at 6:34 pm

Please do, girl! This recipe is SO decadent but SO worth it! Enjoy!

Courtney January 8, 2014 at 12:42 pm

My mom recently taught me a trick for sausage gravy: Don’t remove the sausage/grease from the pan. Once it’s just about cooked through, you can thoroughly coat it in flour, let it cook another minute or so, and then cover the sausage in milk and stir til it thickens. I have to admit I’m a traditionalist and I was really skeptical of her cheating tactics, but I saw/tasted it in action, and it works. :-)

At any rate, you’ve really made me want to go home and eat biscuits and gravy for dinner!

Erin January 13, 2014 at 6:35 pm

That’s the way to go, Courtney, and the traditional way down here in the South. All that grease from the pan is what makes the gravy SO good!

And I really hope that you went home and ate biscuits and gravy for dinner the day you read this, haha.

NEATLY-PACKAGED January 8, 2014 at 2:24 pm

I want to spend like an entire week with you and be your official taste tester :) lol in the most non-creepy way possible! :)

Erin January 13, 2014 at 6:35 pm

Come on down, girl! I like the idea of having an official taste tester, haha!

Jennifer B January 8, 2014 at 7:17 pm

Great photos! The biscuits look so great!

Erin January 13, 2014 at 6:38 pm

Thanks so much, Jennifer! The biscuits are pretty divine…

John January 8, 2014 at 8:00 pm

Courtney:
Reference making the gravy with the sausage and grease in the pan. That is not cheating.
That is the real, authentic, traditional way to do it. I grew up in the deep south many years ago and that is the way everyone did it.

Nicky January 8, 2014 at 8:56 pm

Those look slack ya mama good! My husband loves biscuits and gravy. If I made them, he’d be one of those biscuits and gravy zombies you mentioned. Sadly I can’t make biscuits to save my life. They resemble hockey pucks instead of anything edible. Luckily, my son, can make them. SO I’m pinning this for him to make very soon.

Erin January 16, 2014 at 5:45 pm

Thanks, Nicky! I’m thrilled that your hubby’s a fan of biscuits and gravy. I hope you are, too!

Girl, I didn’t make biscuits until I was well into my 20′s because I was terrified about screwing them up. These biscuits are super simple to make, and a good recipe to start off with, if you’re willing to give it a go!

Let me know what y’all think of the recipe!

laurasmess January 10, 2014 at 12:14 am

I’ve read a lot about biscuits with gravy but I’ve never actually tasted them. We tend to call your style of biscuits ‘scones’ over here in Australia. Yummy… I can imagine how amazing they’d be with that rich sausage gravy. I really do need to acquaint myself with southern food Erin. You’ve got some of the yummiest stuff on the internet and I haven’t tasted ANY of it! xx

Erin January 16, 2014 at 5:51 pm

This sounds bad, but I promise it’s not, as I grew up in the Deep South where this dish is a staple. It amazes me when I meet folks who’ve never tried it before, though I know exactly why you haven’t, and it’s fascinating hearing everyone’s thoughts about it. And I think you should make some “Scones and Gravy” one of these days just to have a go at it. ;)

Aww, girl! You’re too sweet. Thank you! Southern food is awesome, and I totally recommend trying it out…

Jayne @ Tenacious Tinkering January 11, 2014 at 3:16 am

Oh my.. The flaky biscuits. The sauce. My heart. I really KNOW I’ll love this. I need to get some sausage and cream and you know this will be on the table soon enough. This looks like what my biscuits and gravy fantasies are made of. Lol! I promise I’ll report back once I get down on this. :-)

Erin January 16, 2014 at 5:53 pm

YESSSS! So excited that you’re going to make this decadent breakfast for yourself, Jayne, and I absolutely cannot wait to hear wait you think of it.

Beth Somers January 16, 2014 at 5:12 pm

I’m on a quest for the perfect biscuit, and yours look like they’re worth a try! Secretly, I hope this quest never ends. The more biscuits, the better.

Erin January 16, 2014 at 5:53 pm

I love that you’re on the quest for a perfect biscuit, Beth, and I hope that the quest never ends, too, because biscuits are just so. good. If you try this recipe, I’d love to know what you think!

Tylert January 30, 2014 at 7:13 pm

Biscuits and gravy is something I could eat every day of my life…