Add some sweetness to your morning with these Vegan Blueberry Muffins, loved by vegans and non-vegans alike. This is a simple muffin recipe that packs a sweet and slightly tart punch.
Please note that some of the links listed in this post are affiliate links, meaning if you were to make a purchase through one, I would receive a small commission. Thanks for your support of The Speckled Palate!
Back when I was a newspaper photographer in Mississippi, I spent a significant amount of time driving around the Southern portion of the state, covering everything from monster truck throwdowns to sporting events and political rallies to festivals.
One of the festivals I had the opportunity to cover was the Blueberry Jubilee in Poplarville, Miss. I’ve been obsessed with these lovely blue fruits ever since.
Not only did I bring home the most delectable blueberry cobbler I have ever consumed, but also I scored some great deals on blueberries and took them all home, freezing a majority to make baked goods, smoothies and anything else I could think of.
In fact, I’d love to see if there is some sort of festival like this around Dallas that I could check out in the spring or summertime.
I was grocery shopping last week and stumbled upon a fabulous organic blueberry sale, so I snatched up a few containers of them and brought them home, thrilled to have a little blueberry sweetness during the wintertime. After much waffling, I decided to make some muffins…
This blueberry breakfast treat harkens back to my galley kitchen in Mississippi, and as if that wasn’t enough, they’re vegan, to boot.
Erin’s Recommended Tools/Products for Vegan Blueberry Muffins
Now who’s ready to make these beauties?
Vegan Blueberry Muffins
- 2 cups fresh blueberries + 1 tablespoon unbleached all-purpose flour.
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar + 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a muffin tin with baking cups, then spritz with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Coat the blueberries in 1 tablespoon of flour. Set aside.
- Mix dry ingredients -- flour, baking powder and sea salt -- together, whisking until combined. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar, oil and applesauce until light and fluffy using a hand mixer.
- Add vinegar and baking soda mixture, then the vanilla, stirring until incorporated.
- Sprinkle in the dry ingredients and almond milk, stirring until just mixed.
- Fold in the flour-coated blueberries, stirring until incorporated into the batter.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared baking cups.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown, then enjoy warm!