This post is sponsored by Bonne Maman. As always, all opinions and recipes are my own.
Lemon Blueberry Coffee Cake makes a delicious breakfast in bed for that special person in your life! This simple coffee cake makes a delicious Mother’s Day breakfast or a brunch centerpiece. Makes one 9″ coffee cake.
I don’t have many Mother’s Day memories from when I was a kid, but I know that my sister, my dad and I always worked together to make something for Mom for dinner or dessert.
The only memory that comes to mind without fail is centered around a Key Lime Pie. A failed one.
My mom loves Key Lime Pie. But key limes are hard to find. And since the rest of us were just so-so on the pie, she never made one for herself.
One Mother’s Day, we decided to go all in and baked a Key Lime Pie to show how much we love and appreciate her.
We baked a gorgeous pie – complete with a homemade crust – and when we took our first bite of it after our special Mother’s Day dinner, everyone cringed.
Bitter faces all around.
Turns out, we forgot to add the sugar to the pie, making it inedible.
Say it with me now: BAKING FAIL.
Other Mother’s Day brunch recipes are adore: Chocolate Raspberry Overnight French Toast Casserole / Vegan Banana Muffins / Gluten Free Broccoli Quiche Lorraine Bites / Princess Violette Cocktail / Sage Browned Butter Homemade Home Fries
Looking for more brunch ideas in general? Check out my Breakfast and Brunch landing page.
Whenever I think of Mother’s Day, that pie comes to mind, as well as how we wanted so badly to make Mom something she loved.
The thought was there, even if our execution was off.
In the years since, I’ve worked on my execution of baked goods. While I still fail on occasion, I’ve gotten more consistent.
And I’ve gotta say: This Lemon Blueberry Coffee Cake turned out dreamy, even though it’s not the failed dessert we once served.
What do I need to make Lemon Blueberry Coffee Cake?
Disclaimer: The links below are affiliate links. If you click through and take action, I will receive a small commission. Please refer to my disclosure page for more information about the affiliate programs The Speckled Palate participates in.
How do I make this springtime coffee cake?
Make The Streusel Topping
In a medium-sized glass bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour and chopped pecans. Use a fork to mix them togehter.
Add in cubes of chilled butter and vanilla. Use a pastry blender or that same fork to combine the mixture until it’s the texture of wet sand. (I prefer the pastry blender for this step since it can get the streusel topping mixture a bit finer.)
When the streusel reaches the correct texture, pop the bowl in the refrigerator until time to bake.
Make The Coffee Cake
Preheat the oven, and spray a round cake pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
In a large bowl, sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together.
In another bowl, cream the softened butter and sugar together using a hand mixer. (You can use a stand mixer if you’ve got one of those, too, and I suppose you could do this by hand, too, though I do not recommend it.)
When the butter and sugar are light and fluffy, add the lemon zest, yogurt and eggs to the mixture. Blend until smooth.
Sprinkle the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, mixing until just combined, and then pour the batter into the prepared round cake pan.
Using a tablespoon measure, dollop the Bonne Maman Wild Blueberry Preserves on top of the batter. Personally, I like to space mine out and give each dollop a little breathing room since we’re going to swirl these preserves into the batter.
Run a butter knife through the preserves, swirling them into the batter. Obviously, you can do as much or as little of this as you’d like. I recommend trying to swirl evenly, so every bite has a little blueberry goodness.
Sprinkle the cold streusel topping on top of the batter, and transfer the cake pan to the preheated oven and bake.
Once baked through, remove from the oven, cool, remove from the pan and serve with your favorite breakfast beverage.
Why did you work with Bonne Maman to make this coffee cake?
Simply put, Bonne Maman makes my favorite preserves in the whole world, and I definitely wanted to work with them to make a sweet treat for Mom for breakfast in bed.
Bonne Maman preserves with natural ingredients that anyone can find in their pantry. The Non-GMO Project Verified preserves have no high fructose corn syrup, artificial flooring or added preservatives.
You can always find a jar in our fridge, and you’ll find them starring in this Lemon Blueberry Coffee Cake, adding the blueberry goodness to balance out the tart-sweetness of the lemon!
Because we don’t want another Key Lime Pie situation. 😉
Erin’s Easy Entertaining Tips and Tricks
- Make this Lemon Blueberry Coffee Cake the night before. That way, you don’t have to wake up earlier than your mama. And that way, you can simply reheat it in a 200°F oven before it’s time to serve.
- Don’t have yogurt? Use sour cream instead!
- Don’t like pecans? Leave ’em out, and have your coffee cake be nut free.
What can I pair with this Blueberry Coffee Cake?
Now who’s ready for a slice of this gorgeous cake?
Scroll on down to learn how to make this beauty of a breakfast to surprise your mom with…
Lemon Blueberry Coffee Cake makes a delicious breakfast in bed for that special person in your life! Elevate traditional coffee cake base with a ton of lemon zest. Then once the batter is poured into the pan, dollop Bonne Maman Wild Blueberry Preserves in for blueberry goodness. Sprinkle on the crumbly pecan streusel topping, then bake until golden brown. This simple coffee cake makes a delicious Mother's Day breakfast or a brunch centerpiece.
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ tablespoons lemon zest (about 2 lemons worth)
- ½ cup plain Greek yogurt (nonfat or whole fat OK)
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 10 tablespoons Bonne Maman Wild Blueberry Preserves
- 6 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- ½ cup pecans, roughly chopped
- 1/3 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold and cut into ½” cubes
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Make the Streusel Topping
- In a medium-sized glass bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour and chopped pecans.
- Using a fork, mix the ingredients together until they’re incorporated.
- Add in the ½” cubes of chilled butter and the vanilla, using a pastry blender (or the same fork) to combine the mixture until it’s the texture of wet sand.
- When the streusel is the correct texture, pop the bowl in the refrigerator until time to bake.
Make the Coffee Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Spray a 9” round cake pan with nonstick cooking spray, and set aside.
- Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, cream the softened butter and sugar together using a hand mixer.
- Add the lemon zest, yogurt and eggs to the mixture, and blend until smooth.
- Slowly sprinkle the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, mixing until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared round cake pan.
- Using a tablespoon measure, dollop the Bonne Maman Wild Blueberry Preserves on top of the batter. (I like to space mine out, as we’re going to incorporate the blueberry preserves into the batter using a knife.)
- Run a butter knife through the preserves, swirling them into the batter. (You can do as much or as little of this as you'd like. I recommend trying to swirl evenly, so every bite can feature some blueberry goodness.)
- Sprinkle the cold streusel topping on top of the batter, and transfer the cake pan to the preheated oven.
- Bake 45-55 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven, cool, and remove from the cake pan, then serve slightly warm or at room temperature with your favorite breakfast beverage.
Adapted from my Vanilla Bean Coffee Cake Muffins recipe.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 447Total Fat: 24gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 93mgSodium: 196mgCarbohydrates: 54gFiber: 2gSugar: 29gProtein: 7g