This Chocolate Crispy Rice Treats recipe first appeared on Best Dessert Recipes, where I am a contributor.
Homemade Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats are the best no bake dessert for any chocolate lover. All you need are 6 simple ingredients to make these chocolate krispie rice treats. Learn how to make them your own here! Makes 24 treats.
My family and I rediscovered Homemade Rice Krispie Treats a few years back, and it has been delightful.
Not only are they incredibly simple to make, but they’re a fun recipe to make together.
This is a twist on the classic version, which we had a lot of fun taste testing these delicious treats.
We also discovered that cocoa crispy rice cereal is what makes this recipe and sends it over the top. Our initial tests involved classic Rice Krispies cereal, and those ones weren’t nearly as chocolatey or rich.
Why I love this recipe:
Chocolate Krispie Rice Treats are decadent and delicious. They’re wonderfully chocolatey and gooey and hard to stop eating once you start.
If you’re someone who loves chocolate like I do, this is the recipe for you because it does NOT skimp on the chocolate flavor. In fact, I’ll go as far to say that these no bake treats are FOR chocolate lovers!
We also stepped up the decorations by adding a chocolate drizzle AND chocolate sprinkles, but I have ideas for you below on how you can make these more colorful or make them your own, if desired.
You can also make them with kids! Depending on your kids’ ages, they can help at the stovetop.
If they’re too young, they can help with the measuring and the patting down (so long as you keep a watchful eye on them and are available to assist, if necessary, since these are hot when they come out of the pot.)
No matter how you slice them, these Chocolate Rice Crispy Treats are something I can see being a huge success at potlucks, backyard barbecues or even tailgate parties because they travel easily and are beloved wherever they go!
Got sweet teeth? Check out my Dessert Recipe Index for inspiration.
What you need to make this recipe:
The Speckled Palate participates in affiliate programs. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases. Please refer to my disclosure page for more information about these affiliate programs.
- Nonstick cooking spray
- Wax paper or parchment paper
- A large pot (like a 6-7 qt. Dutch oven large) or a large saucepan
- 9”x13” baking dish
- A large mixing bowl
- Rubber spatula
- Metal spatula
Let’s talk ingredients!
In addition to the tools above, you’re going to need some ingredients to make this recipe, too! Chances are, you might already have some of them in your fridge or pantry. Scroll down to the recipe card for the full measurements and instructions.
Here’s what you need:
- Cocoa Krispies (or your favorite chocolate crispy rice cereal) — I recommend seeking this out because it adds extra cocoa flavor that I could not get into these bars otherwise. There are several brands available, so purchase your favorite since you’ll have some leftover after making this recipe.
- Butter — you can use salted or unsalted butter. If using salted butter, don’t add the salt. If using unsalted butter, you need a little extra sprinkle of salt. I have more details about this below so you know how much to add, promise. If you’re adding a chocolate drizzle, you’ll also need a bonus tablespoon of butter for that.
- Kosher salt — only to be added if you’re using unsalted butter!
- Vanilla extract — this adds just a little more flavor, in my opinion, and the combination of vanilla with marshmallow and butter is simply divine.
- Marshmallows — miniature marshmallows melt best and easiest! Make sure they’re fresh.
- Chocolate chips — I used semisweet miniature chocolate chips for both the cocoa crispy treats and the drizzle on top of it, but you can use your favorite type of chocolate here. Milk chocolate chips or mini chocolate chips work!
How to jazz up Rice Krispy Treats
Look, you can make Rice Krispie Treats for any occasion or celebration. All you need is a vision and some additional products to make ‘em happy.
We’ve used candy melts, as well as sprinkles and chocolate-coated candies to decorate our rice krispie treats to elevate them for holidays.
Here are a few more ideas:
- Dip in white chocolate or dark chocolate on top to make Dipped Rice Krispie Treats. You could also do this with colorful candy melts.
- Add some color. Instead of a chocolate drizzle, melt candy melts or white chocolate for a different color. You could also add rainbow sprinkles as a decoration, too.
- Swap out the cereal. Use Cocoa Pebbles for a fun twist!
- Add frosting! These treats paired with White Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting would create a stunning black-and-white effect.
How to make Homemade Chocolate Rice Krispies Treats
Prepare the pan. I like using a 9”x13” baking dish and lining it with wax or parchment paper. This will make removing the crispy treats easier. You can also give the paper a spritz with nonstick cooking spray to ensure your treats will remove easily. Set aside.
Measure out the cereal into a large bowl, and set aside. We won’t be mixing these in the bowl itself , but having this measured out before our marshmallow-butter mixture is melty is important.
Make the krispie treat base. Melt the butter over low heat on the stove top with the salt in a large pot.
Once the butter is melted, stir in the marshmallows.
Continually stir with a rubber spatula until the marshmallows have melted completely, then splash in the vanilla and stir.
Next, add the chocolate chips, and stir until they have melted.
Mix the treats. Turn off the heat, and pour the cereal into the pot with the marshmallow mixture.
Stir quickly until the cereal is completely coated.
Make the bars. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking pan.
Gently spread it into an even layer with a rubber spatula. If your spatula begins sticking, spritz with the nonstick cooking spray.
Do not be tempted to press down hard on the mixture because this will make your treats more compact.
Add decorations! I melted chocolate chips and a little butter in a bowl and then transferred them to a piping bag before drizzling it on the tops of these treats. I also sprinkled on some chocolate sprinkles, too!
Let the treats cool for about an hour, then cut into rectangles (or any shape you desire) with a sharp knife.
Frequently Asked Questions
Marshmallows are an integral part of krispie treats, so I do not recommend finding a substitute for them.
The treats harden as they cool, so it’ll take at least 30 minutes after they’ve been in the pan.
No. As marshmallows sit in the pantry, they lose moisture and their texture changes. They will have a harder time melting, and when they do, they will become more of a gelatinous blob. They run the risk of overcooking and making tougher krispie treats because you’ll need to cook them for longer.
Quick Tips and Tricks for the best crispy rice treats
- Use fresh marshmallows. They melt more easily and will provide a better texture for your treats. (How do I know this? I’ve attempted this recipe with older marshmallows, and they didn’t turn out quite right.)
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 2-3 days. After this point, the treats will begin to harden.
- Make the decorations even more fun! You can see that I added a drizzle of chocolate and chocolate sprinkles, but you could switch this up, if desired. Add a white chocolate drizzle or colorful sprinkles to decorate these more colorfully.
More rice krispie treat recipes:
- Classic Rice Krispie Treats
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Rice Krispie Treats
- Oreo Rice Krispie Treats
- Pumpkin Spice Rice Krispie Treats
- No Bake Banana Peanut Butter Cereal Bars
- Easter Rice Krispie Treats with Peeps
Homemade Chocolate Rice Krispie Treats are the best no bake dessert for any chocolate lover. All you need are 6 simple ingredients to make these chocolate krispie rice treats. Learn how to make them your own here!
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt (2g)
- 10 oz. mini marshmallows (about 6 cups, 285g))
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 cups cocoa crispy rice cereal (265g)
- ½ cup chocolate chips (110g)
- ¼ cup chocolate chips (55g)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Chocolate sprinkles, for garnish
- Line a 9”x13” baking dish with wax paper. This will make removing the crispy rice treats easy. Set aside.
- Pour the cocoa crispy rice cereal into the large bowl, and set aside.
- In a large pot, melt the butter over low heat. Add the salt when mostly melted.
- Stir in the marshmallows once the butter has melted. Continually stir until the marshmallows are completely melted.
- Add the splash of vanilla, and stir.
- Add the ½ cup of chocolate chips. Stir until melted.
- Pour the cereal into the marshmallow mixture. Stir quickly until the cereal is coated.
- Pour the cereal bar mixture to the prepared baking dish and gently spread the mixture into an even layer with a rubber spatula. (If the mixture begins sticking, spritz the spatula with the nonstick cooking spray.) Do not press down hard on the mixture, as your treats will be more compact.
- Optional: Melt the ¼ cup chocolate chips and butter together. Drizzle over the bars in a pattern. Sprinkle on the chocolate sprinkles.
- Let the treats cool completely, about 45 minutes-1 hour.
- Cut into squares with a sharp knife, and enjoy within 2-3 days.
I cut my treats into 2” squares. If you cut yours larger, you will have less.
How to store: Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 2-3 days. After this point, the treats will begin to harden.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 144Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 9mgSodium: 21mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 4gSugar: 3gProtein: 4g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate.