Pumpkin season is in full-swing, and we should celebrate with these decadent Pumpkin Brown Butter Streusel Muffins with Maple Cream Cheese Glaze. The muffins are fluffy, the streusel is crumbly and the glaze is tart, culminating in a delicious breakfast or brunch confection that everyone is bound to adore. Makes 12 muffins.
It finally! feels like autumn! (It might not tomorrow, but we’re livin’ it up while it’s gorgeous here in Texas.)
And it’s the day of the great #virtualpumpkinparty!
Oh, you haven’t heard of the #virtualpumpkinparty?
Let me explain.
Several bloggers and I have come together to all post pumpkin-centric recipes for y’all this morning.
Let me tell you, it’s going to be a delicious day, because we’ve got pumpkin involved in all kinds of recipes. Sweet or savory, we’ve got you covered! And I’ve got a list of all the goodies beneath my recipe, so keep scrolling down to check ’em all out.
My recipe, these Pumpkin Brown Butter Streusel Muffins with Maple Cream Cheese Glaze, are a new favorite in our household.
However, I burned the browned butter, umm, four times, before I got it right when making these one morning.
Note to self: Multi-tasking in the kitchen can sometimes be dangerous. Pay attention to the butter browning and don’t get sidetracked because nobody likes burned butter.
That said, once the butter is browned and cools just slightly, you’re good to go, and these muffins bake up beautifully! I even made ’em for Lady Baby’s playgroup a few weeks back, and they were well-loved.
The muffins are light and fluffy. The streusel topping is delightfully crumbly and tastes of browned butter, sweetness and oats. And the maple cream cheese glaze just sends these breakfast confections over the edge.
Here’s how I made them:
Pumpkin season is in full-swing, and we should celebrate with these decadent Pumpkin Brown Butter Streusel Muffins with Maple Cream Cheese Glaze. The muffins are fluffy, the streusel is crumbly and the glaze is tart, culminating in a delicious breakfast or brunch confection that everyone is bound to adore.
- ¾ cup + 2 tablespoons pure pumpkin, (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, , browned
- 2 eggs
- 1½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, , browned
Maple Cream Cheese Glaze
- 1.5 oz . cream cheese, , softened
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Set cupcake tins into your cupcake pan, and spray with cooking spray.
Make the Streusel Topping
- In a small bowl, combine the rolled oats, flour, sugar, cinnamon and salt. Using a fork, mix them together until combined.
- Add the browned butter to the mixture. Stir until the topping appears streusel-like and slightly clumpy. (This is what you want!)
- Set aside until the muffins have been made.
Make the Pumpkin Muffins
- In a large mixing bowl, stir the pumpkin, sugar, applesauce, browned butter and eggs together until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Stir until combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, folding the ingredients together until just combined.
- Using a cookie scoop or a 1/4 cup measuring spoon, dollop the batter into the prepared muffin tin.
- Sprinkle the streusel topping on top of the muffins.
- Transfer the pan into the preheated oven, baking 20-25 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool for 10-15 minutes, then enjoy warm!
Make the Maple Cream Cheese Glaze
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the cream cheese, maple syrup, powdered sugar and vanilla extract.
- Beat until smooth, then set aside. (Can be refrigerated for up to two weeks, though it shouldn't last that long!)
- When the muffins have cooled slightly and are ready to be eaten, drizzle on top of the muffins.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 245Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 50mgSodium: 249mgCarbohydrates: 40gFiber: 1gSugar: 21gProtein: 4g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate.
And now, here are all my fellow bloggers’ recipes!
- Pumpkin Ginger Cookies with a Vanilla Glaze
- Pumpkin Buttermilk Pudding
- Dark Chocolate Pumpkin Seed Toffee Bark
- Pumpkin Slice and Bake Cookies
- Pumpkin Pie White Chocolate Brownies
- Pumpkin Spice French Macarons
- Cinnamon Swirl Pumpkin Pound Cake
- Pumpkin Spice Japanese Cheesecake
- Pumpkin Ale Cake
- Pumpkin Almond Cake with Almond Butter Frosting
- Whole Wheat Pumpkin Sugar Cookies
- Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream
- Pumpkin Pound Cake
- Pumpkin Gingersnap Pie
Savory Pumpkin Dishes
- Pumpkin & Goat Cheese Macaroni
- Harissa-Spiced Pumpkin Gnocchi
- Pumpkin Spice Almond Butter
- Roasted Pumpkin and Pork Stuffed Shells
- Pumpkin Pork Burrito Bowls
- Gluten Free Pumpkin Flatbread with Gruyére and Crispy Sage
- Pumpkin & Caramelized Onion Galette
- Creamy Pumpkin Polenta
- Thai Pumpkin Curry with Shrimp and Bok Choy
- Pumpkin-Stuffed Turnip-Ravioli with Pepita Pesto
- Roasted Pumpkin with Tamarind and Coriander Chutney
- Creamy Vegan Pumpkin Risotto with Sweet & Spicy Roasted Pepitas
- Roasted Pumpkin Risotto with Crispy Prosciutto
- Lentil-Stuffed Acorn Squash, Crispy King Oyster Bacon + Aged Goat Cheese
- Japanese Pumpkin Temaki with Ginger Kale Chips
- Creamy Pumpkin and Chorizo Pasta Bake, Cheese Tortellini, Sage-Mascarpone Sauce, Toasted Hazelnuts
- Pumpkin Goat Cheese Polenta with Brown Butter Thyme Mushrooms & Kale
Pumpkin Breakfast Items
- Pumpkin Challah
- Yeasted Pumpkin Waffles with Candied Ginger
- Pumpkin Tea Bread
- Apple Cinnamon Pumpkin Muffins with Pepita Streusel
- Pumpkin Everything Bagels
- Pumpkin Pancakes
- Maple Pumpkin Butter Brioche Toast
- Caramelized Apple Pumpkin Muffins
- Grain-Free Pumpkin Spice Pancakes
- Pumpkin Beertail with Tequila and Spiced Rum
- Pumpkin Cinnamon Rimming Sugar
- Pumpkin Pie Martini with Coconut Cream + Homemade Pumpkin Spice Syrup