Fluffy, light and flavorful, dairy free Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread makes a tasty fall breakfast OR dessert! This simple pumpkin bread, is full of pumpkin flavor and studded with dark chocolate chips. With a few simple ingredients, this bread comes together quickly and infuses the entire house with fall scents as it bakes. Moist and delicious, Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread is sure to become a family favorite that’s enjoyed year after year!
This post contains affiliate links. If you were to make a purchase through one, I would receive a small commission. For more information about the affiliate programs The Speckled Palate participates in, please refer to my disclosure page.
After making Michelle’s delightful pumpkin pancakes last year, I had a little pumpkin leftover and no idea what to do with it. And as someone who has always been a little wary of pumpkin — not on purpose, of course, but because of bad pumpkin pie experience due to my dislike of copious (or even small) amounts of nutmeg, it was a struggle to figure out what needed to be done with the rest of the tasty veggie.
Yes, I know. You’re probably all thinking, “Wow. For a food blogger, this girl has a lot of things she doesn’t like.” And while I’ll admit that your statement is true, I’d like to throw out there that I will try anything once. And I will certainly try something again if I didn’t like it initially because of another extraneous factor.
So, back to my story: I sat down and wondered about this pumpkin puree that was probably going to go bad in my fridge if I didn’t do something with it. I decided to be brave, and I whipped up some pumpkin bread after looking at various pumpkin recipes online. While I was tinkering with the batter, I told myself that instead of going the traditional route, I was going to shake things up… clearly I’m not a nutmeg or clove fan and because I like chocolate. Especially dark chocolate.
And, just like that, this Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread recipe was born.
This year, things have been a little different. Instead of trying a pumpkin recipe here or there this fall, I have been rejoicing in the wonderfulness of all kinds of pumpkin. This includes the four sugar pumpkins sent home with us one week for our CSA that I baked, pureed, and froze for later use, and that other pumpkin that I coaxed into a soup after fighting with its skin for nearly an hour.
Long story short: It was ripe enough, and I baked the thing almost whole, then scooped the innards — yes, innards — out once it had cooked through and pureed it into a delicious curried soup.
But that’s neither here nor there.
Back to the bread and the delicious breakfast it made for Winston and me this past weekend. And let me tell y’all: I’m glad I decided to be brave last year. The payoff is delicious. Once again, I’m still learning about foods I like and don’t. Turns out, I just have to use the ingredient on my own terms to enjoy it like it should be.
Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread Recommended Tools/Products
- You must have a bread pan! I love, love, love my USA Pan Bakeware Aluminized Steel Loaf Pan and use it for all kinds of bread baked goods. If you’re looking for something a little different, I think this Camp Chef Home Seasoned Cast Iron Bread Pan would make fabulous bread, too. 🙂
- Spring for good dark chocolate chips. I particularly love Ghirardelli Bittersweet Chocolate Baking Chips and eat them straight out of the bag.
Looking for more pumpkin breakfast recipes? Check out my Mini Pumpkin Chip Muffins, Pumpkin Waffles with Cinnamon Maple Syrup, Pumpkin Brown Butter Streusel Muffins and Gluten Free Pumpkin Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Bread.
Let’s bake, friends!
Fluffy, light and flavorful, dairy free Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread makes a tasty fall breakfast OR dessert! This simple pumpkin bread, is full of pumpkin flavor and studded with dark chocolate chips. With a few simple ingredients, this bread comes together quickly and infuses the entire house with fall scents as it bakes. Moist and delicious, Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread is sure to become a family favorite that's enjoyed year after year!
- ¾ cup pumpkin puree
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 ½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup semisweet (or dark) chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Spray a loaf pan with nonstick baking spray, and set aside.
- Whisk the pumpkin, eggs, sugar and applesauce together until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, sift and combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients, stirring until just combined.
- Add chocolate chips, and fold into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared bread pan.
- Transfer the pan into the oven. Bake for 50 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool for 15 minutes, slice and then enjoy!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 231 Total Fat: 4g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 47mg Sodium: 407mg Carbohydrates: 45g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 22g Protein: 5g