Last Updated on
Toasted Pine Nut Green Beans make the BEST accompaniment for any weeknight meal! Steamed green beans are topped with toasted pine nuts and a diced shallot, then drizzled with olive oil. This vegan side dish is sure to be a winner at the dinner table.
We weren’t always super adventurous with our green beans, though.
Nor did we always purchase them fresh.
When Winston was a law student and I was a data manager in Nashville, we didn’t have a ton of leftover cash every month to purchase luxuries like fresh green beans, and we found ourselves eating canned green beans at least twice every week.
We never did anything fancy with them. We’d always just cook ’em on the stovetop, season them, then devour them alongside whatever our entree was.
It wasn’t until we moved to Dallas that we got to work on our green bean game.
There’s something beautiful about the simplicity of green beans. They don’t need much (or really anything) to taste delicious.
Even now, we simply steam our green beans, then toss them in salt, pepper and a little bit of butter and call it a day.
This dish, though?
And it was all Winston’s idea.
I purchased green beans to go alongside a pot roast last week. I didn’t have any grand plans to make an elevated side out of them, but when Winston came home from work and realized what we were having, he made a simple suggestion.
“Why don’t we toast some nuts to put on top of them?”
We both decided it was a great idea, and he found a bag of pine nuts in our freezer and a shallot in our pantry. Then he got to work as I wrote down exactly what he was doing… and created THIS dish.
Y’all. Words cannot describe how much I adore this side dish.
Not only is it incredibly simple to pull together, but the toasted pine nuts and the caramelized shallot just take the simple steamed green beans to a whole ‘nother level. And this is worth a try at least once if you want to fix yourself some “fancy green beans” on a weeknight.
Scroll on down to learn how to make them…
Toasted Pine Nut Green Beans
- 1 lb. green beans , washed and trimmed
- 2.25 oz. pine nuts
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 shallot , diced
- In a steamer basket, steam the green beans until crisp tender. When the green beans reach the desired consistency, remove from the heat, and set aside.
- While the green beans steam, toast the whole pine nuts in a skillet. Place the skillet over medium-high heat, and continually move the pine nuts around the pan using a wooden spoon. When all the pine nuts are golden brown, remove them from the skillet.
- Pour one teaspoon of olive oil into the already warm skillet, and cook the shallot until softened, then remove from the heat and mix into the pine nuts.
- Serve the green beans on a large plate, and top with the pine nut and shallot mixture.
- Drizzle with the additional olive oil before serving, and enjoy!