Instead of milk and cookies for Santa, leave him a glass of Vegan Bourbon Pecan Milk Punch this Christmas. This twist on the classic New Orleans cocktail is VEGAN. Homemade pecan milk, made with pecans, rice, cinnamon and maple syrup, serves as the base of the drink. Combine the pecan milk with bourbon, amaretto, maple syrup and a little vanilla extract before shaking to combine. Serve cold with a favorite cookie throughout the chilly winter months.
First and foremost: Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays! This is my final post before this weekend’s holiday festivities, and I’m going out with a bang. Specifically, a vegan bang that pairs so well with cookies that you’re gonna want to make this for yourself, whether or not you’re vegan/dairy-free. Please enjoy this drink, have a lovely holiday weekend, and I’ll see y’all back here Monday for some New Year’s Eve goodness.
One of our favorite Southern spots in Dallas makes a de-freaking-lightful Bourbon Milk Punch. To make it an even sweeter deal, they serve it up with homemade warm, gooey chocolate chip cookies that melt in your mouth.
It’s basically the most comforting dessert you’ll ever tried… but that’s assuming you can enjoy a copious amount of dairy.
Unfortunately, I can only take a sip or two of traditional Bourbon Milk Punch before my stomachache begins. While I’ve come to terms with my new reality, my lactose intolerance is especially heartbreaking because I drink a glass of ice-cold milk every evening, especially when I had a cookie on hand.
But I’ve found a way for those of us who can’t/don’t eat dairy products to enjoy this drink… and it’s deceptively simple and utterly delicious!
Unsurprisingly, New Orleans is known for a ton of cocktails and libations. Bourbon Milk Punch is one of my more recent finds in the city.
A few years back, I unexpectedly ran into some of my friends while visiting the city for the wedding of another friend. My husband was in the wedding party, so he was busy doing wedding-related things. In the past, I’ve wandered the streets of New Orleans, popping into boutiques and my favorite restaurants to grab a bite to eat. But when I ran into these friends, who I’d made in Baton Rouge before we moved to Texas, they invited me along for their girls day.
I’d never had one before, but I was all for it. (HI, have you met me? Bourbon is one of my faaaaavorite things.)
We caught up as we sipped the strong bourbon drinks and quite honestly, it was a perfect way to spend the afternoon. Whenever I think about Bourbon Milk Punch, I’m reminded of the Baton Rouge girls who introduced me to it.
Cookies and milk are one of my all-time favorite comfort foods, but I can no longer drink a glass of milk.
So what’s a girl to do?
She makes homemade pecan milk (!!!) and then mixes that with bourbon, amaretto, a little maple syrup and some vanilla extract to make a VEGAN Bourbon Milk Punch that’s darn delicious.
While it takes a little longer than opening a jug of milk in the fridge, it’s well-worth the wait. Also, you could sub almond or cashew milk for the pecan milk if you don’t have time to make your own.
I highly recommend Vegan Bourbon Pecan Milk Punch. Rest assured that I’m going to be drinking it all winter long.
Erin’s Recommended Tools/Products for Vegan Bourbon Pecan Milk Punch
Please note that some of the links listed below are affiliate links, meaning if you were to make a purchase through one of these links, I would receive a small commission. Thanks for your support of The Speckled Palate!
- Essentials: Blender. Glass Pitcher.
- Get the look: Metallic Lace Dessert Plate. Gold plaid glasses. (Similar from Bed Bath and Beyond and Williams-Sonoma.) Red patterned napkins (Similar from John Robshaw.) Wooden cheese board. (Similar from The Well Appointed House.)
Now, who’s ready to whip up some Vegan Bourbon Pecan Milk Punch for this weekend’s festivities?
Here’s how you can do it:
Vegan Bourbon Pecan Milk Punch
Pecan Milk (Makes ~3 cups)
- 1 cup raw pecan pieces
- 1/3 cup uncooked white rice
- 2 ¼ cup warm water
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- ½ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 ½ cup water , chilled
Vegan Bourbon Pecan Milk Punch (Makes ONE cocktail)
- 4 oz . pecan milk
- 1 ½ oz . bourbon
- ½ oz . pure maple syrup
- ½ oz . amaretto liquor
- ¼ oz . pure vanilla extract
Make the Pecan Milk
- In a large refrigerator-safe bowl, measure out the pecans, white rice and warm water. Add the cinnamon sticks. Cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate 1-2 nights.
- In the morning, pour the soaked ingredients into the base of a blender. Remove ONE cinnamon stick.
- Measure in the maple syrup.
- Blend on high until the mixture is smooth.
- Using a cheesecloth or a fine mesh strainer, strain the pecan milk.
- When the mixture has strained, add an additional 12 oz. of water.
- Transfer the pecan milk to a pitcher that has a lid, and refrigerate until time to use.
Mix the Vegan Bourbon Pecan Milk Punch
- Place a handful of ice in a cocktail shaker.
- Pour the bourbon, amaretto, pecan milk, maple syrup and vanilla extract into the cocktail shaker.
- Shake until ice cold, and serve in a chilled old fashioned glass. Enjoy immediately!
Recipe NotesPlease note the total time does not include soak time or the straining time for the pecan milk.
If you don’t want to make homemade pecan milk, you can substitute it with cashew milk or almond milk. Don’t mix the maple syrup into the drink until you’ve had a taste, as the sweetness of these store-bought nut milks can vary. Sweeten according to your tastebuds.