No time to prep dinner at night? Get your start the morning of with this delightful, easy and delicious Slow Cooker Turkey Meatloaf. Browned before it’s placed in the slow cooker with classic tomato soup, this meatloaf has great texture and flavor for a fast weeknight meal!
This recipe is the ultimate quick morning recipe / you have someplace to be in about 30 minutes and need to put on dinner so you can eat SOMETHING after you finish work later in the evening.
Needless to say, this recipe is one from my newspaper photographer days, and it’s still a gem, even though I generally don’t find myself leaving the house at a moment’s notice to cover a variety of breaking news.
I was basically the queen of dishes like these in Mississippi, especially since my days had a habit of starting a little earlier than expected, and this dish, first introduced to me by my mother and then tinkered with by me throughout the years, has remained a household favorite ever since because it is quick, it’s easy, and it is delicious and perfect for a comforting meal after a long day.
I even found a way to expedite the process, especially if I didn’t have the time in the morning to make up the meatloaf. So I would either mix the meatloaf ingredients the night before and let them hang out in the fridge until the morning, or I would even freeze loafs, then remove one from the freezer, toss it into a pan to brown the sides — an essential part, folks! — and then throw it in the the slow cooker to hang out with a can of tomato soup all day.
The end result is a crunchy on the outside, utterly smooth and delicious on the inside slice of meatloaf, topped with its own juices and tomato soup and served atop mashed potatoes.
Slow Cooker Turkey Meatloaf
- 1 lb . ground lean turkey
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 egg
- 10 Saltine crackers , crushed
- 1/2 cup onion , diced
- 1 garlic clove , chopped fine
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Mural of Flavor (or other salt-free poultry seasoning)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 can of Tomato Soup , plus 1 can of water (or make your own)
- Preheat the olive oil in a large nonstick saucepan over medium-high heat.
- In a large bowl, combine the the turkey, egg, crackers, onion, garlic and seasonings.
- Using your hands, mix the the ingredients together until combined, then form into two rounds.
- Gently place the loafs in the preheated saucepan, browning all sides until thoroughly browned and crispy.
- Once each loaf has been browned, transfer to the slow cooker.
- Top the meatloaves with tomato soup.
- Cook on slow for 8 hours.
- Once cooked through, remove from slow cooker, and slice into pieces. Top each piece with the tomato soup.
- Enjoy warm with a side of mashed potatoes (or rice) and green beans!
Do you have a go-to slow cooker recipe that has served you well over the years? What is it?