Surprise friends, teachers and neighbors with this Peppermint Hot Chocolate Mix in a jar for the holidays! Calling for just three ingredients, this pepperminty hot cocoa mix is a great easy DIY gift for sharing this time of year. Simply tie the cocoa’s instructions to the jar with a festive ribbon, and this homemade gift is good to go!
The Best Jarred Hot Cocoa Mix recipe
If you’re in the market for great gift ideas, this post is for you.
I love the idea of homemade gifts (because homemade gifts are great gifts!), but I never seem to have a ton of time on my hands to make them.
Whether you’re looking for teachers, friends, neighbors, family or anyone in between, this Peppermint Hot Chocolate recipe in a jar is PERFECT for sharing throughout the holiday season and during the winter months.
Why I love this recipe:
Well, if you’re searching for a tasty, homemade present, you’ve come to the right place.
I highly recommend mixing up a few Peppermint Hot Chocolate in a Jar for the folks you want to personalize a present for. These mason jar gifts just feel special!
- All you need are three simple ingredients, and one of them is NOT dry milk powder. We’re using real food ingredients.
- Read your ingredients, but this *should* be naturally gluten free and vegan.
- You can make a large batch of this hot cocoa mix to divide between various mason jars.
Peppermint Hot Cocoa is a great gift idea. The cocoa is rich without being cloyingly sweet, and the peppermint adds delicious flavor. In fact, you could add more crushed candy canes if you wanted because it’s so tasty!
It’s just as simple to mix up as the store-bought kind, except it’s so much tastier.
And who doesn’t love this kind of stuff during the holidays?
What you need to make this recipe:
The Speckled Palate participates in affiliate programs. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases. Please refer to my disclosure page for more information about these affiliate programs.
Let’s talk ingredients!
In addition to the tools above, you’re going to need some ingredients to make this recipe, too! Chances are, you might already have some of them in your fridge or pantry. Scroll down to the recipe card for the full measurements and instructions.
Here’s what you need for your shopping list:
- Dutch processed cocoa powder—or regular unsweetened cocoa powder, if you prefer that. I really like the color that the Dutch processed cocoa powder adds.
- Granulated sugar—also known as white sugar, this sweetens the cocoa powder.
- Candy cane pieces—you can purchase crushed candy cane pieces in bags or you can grind your own in a food processor! This will give our cocoa its peppermint flavor.
This recipe makes enough for one 8 oz. mason jar, but you could very easily double, triple or quadruple the recipe to make a larger batch. I have more information on that below to make more DIY Christmas gifts.
What to use to garnish this peppermint hot chocolate recipe in a jar:
- Mini marshmallows
- Peppermint candy, like Andes
- Mini candy canes
- Sweetened whipped cream
How to make Peppermint Hot Chocolate Mix in a Jar
Measure the cocoa powder, granulated sugar and candy cane pieces into a small mason jar.
Shake the jar until the ingredients are combined.
Store in a cool, dark place until all the cocoa mix has been used.
Please note that you can mix this in the jar itself, or if you’re making a double or triple batch, you can very easily combine the dry mix in a large bowl. Just make sure to mix contents well.
How to make a mug of the Peppermint Hot Cocoa
Heat 6 oz. of milk in the microwave in 20 second bursts until warm. You may use cow’s milk or nondairy milk, like almond milk. Both work with this homemade hot chocolate mix.
Measure 2 teaspoons of the homemade cocoa mix into the milk.
Stir until the hot cocoa mix dissolves into the milk.
Top with whipped cream, mini marshmallows and a candy cane and enjoy immediately!
How to share this jarred hot cocoa mix:
We love making a large batch of this mix and stashing it in the pantry for when we’re ready to share it. You can keep it in an airtight container or a larger mason jar, like a pint or even a quart jar.
When we want to share it (or realize we need a perfect gift for someone last minute), we do the following:
- Hand write the instructions or type them up and print them out! (All they need to do is heat 1 cup of milk with a tablespoon of the mix.)
- Wrap a bow around the jar or attach a candy cane to it with string!
- Divide the jarred cocoa mix between several small plastic bags. Tie a ribbon around them and place into mugs for sharing.
Now who’s ready to make some Peppermint Hot Cocoa Mix in a Jar for some folks they adore?
Here’s how you can do it:
Surprise friends, teachers and neighbors with this Peppermint Hot Chocolate Mix in a jar for the holidays! Calling for just three ingredients, this pepperminty hot cocoa mix is a great easy DIY gift for sharing this time of year. Simply tie the cocoa's instructions to the jar with a festive ribbon, and this homemade gift is good to go!
- 5 tablespoons Dutch processed cocoa powder
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 5 tablespoons candy cane pieces
Make the Hot Cocoa Mix
- Measure the cocoa powder, granulated sugar and candy cane pieces in an 8 oz. mason jar.
- Shake the jar until the ingredients are combined.
- Store in a cool, dark place until all the cocoa mix has been used.
Make a mug of the Hot Cocoa
- Heat 8 oz./1 cup of milk (or non-dairy) milk in the microwave in 20 second bursts until warm.
- Measure 1 tablespoon of the hot cocoa mix into the warm milk.
- Using a spoon, stir until the mix dissolves into the milk.
- Top with marshmallows, garnish with a candy cane and enjoy immediately!
You may double or triple this recipe to make a larger batch of this hot cocoa mix.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 27Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 1mgCarbohydrates: 6gFiber: 0gSugar: 5gProtein: 0g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate.