Next week is July 4th… and we’re having a party here at The Speckled Palate to give y’all some good ideas for Independence Day food.
For the last few years, we’ve taken it easy on the Fourth, hosting a few friends and grilling before going to see fireworks. This year’s celebration will be a little different, as we are heading to Louisiana next weekend for one of my best bud’s weddings. However, we’re still planning on spending the day with friends and family, eating great food and imbibing delicious drinks.
And today’s recipe is one simple and delicious dish you can make for a group for July 4th.
My family has been making a version of this recipe for years, and I love it because it’s so light and easy.
Oftentimes, I find myself cooking heavy dishes for holidays, and when I was brainstorming of what would be good for this year, I gravitated toward this lighter side/appetizer, knowing some of the dishes I’ll be serving later in the week are on the heavier side.
Bonus points: This recipe can be made up to a day in advance. (I don’t recommend more because the cucumbers won’t be as crunchy and glorious if they sit for much longer.) And it’s super simple to throw together, assuming you’ve got some cucumbers and a stocked spice cabinet.
Here’s how you can make it for your own celebration:
Cucumber and Feta Salad
- 4 1/2 c cucumbers , peeled and thinly sliced (about 4 medium sized cucumbers)
- Greek Feta Dressing (adapted from All Recipes)
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse ground Dijon mustard
- 6 1/2 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Slice the cucumbers, then transfer to a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a mason jar, combine the ingredients for the Greek Feta Dressing. Once all measured in, place the lid on the mason jar, and mix vigorously.
- Pour the Greek Feta Dressing on top of the cucumbers, then stir with a spoon, ensuring all the cucumbers are coated, and serve immediately!
Recipe NotesIf you're making this in advance, store the cucumbers and dressing separate until it's time for serving.
What are your Independence Day plans?