Homemade Taco Seasoning

by Erin on April 15, 2013

in meats, vegetables

Homemade Taco Seasoning // The Speckled PalateI never thought I’d become the cook who makes everything myself.

As a matter of fact, I always found those people kind of annoying.

We’ve all been there: You go over for dinner, and you are munching on a delicious something that usually seems incredibly intimidating to make at home, and you ask the cook where they got it… and they say in a proud tone, “Oh, I made it myself.” Like it’s no big deal that they whipped up phyllo dough for their grandmother’s baklava recipe, then put it all together successfully, and it was the most delicious thing you ever ate.

It’s frustrating but kind of awe-inspiring at the same time, right?

Let’s be clear: I’m not making fun of these people. I am one of these people. And as much as I’ve fought it, I have finally given in and jumped on the most-everything-from-scratch bandwagon. And while it certainly takes more TLC, I’m enjoying it, assuming I have the time to pull it all together.

The more I learn about food, the more I want to make everything at home. The food industry scares me, y’all, and I’d rather be 100% certain what is going into my meals by controlling how I make them from scratch. Which basically means I’m going to eventually be that mom who tells her children that she’ll make them their own WonderBread instead of saving myself time and stress by just buying a damn loaf at the store. I’m calling it now. (And should my future children someday read this post, I’m sorry I’m not sorry, kiddos.)

So, that being said… this recipe is one of those seemingly hoity-toity made-from-scratch ones.

And even though you’ll feel a little obnoxious telling your friends you made the seasoning when they come over for a fiesta, this mix is good enough to feel a little obnoxious. And the bonus is that it’s super simple to pull together, doesn’t require any complex kitchen skills, and it comes together in 10 minutes or less.

That’s a win-win in my book!

Homemade Taco Seasoning

A smoky and spicy seasoning blend perfect for taco meat and all kinds of vegetables.
  • 2 tablespoons chili powder
  • ½ teaspoon garlic powder
  • ½ teaspoon onion powder
  • ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • ½ teaspoon sea salt
  • 2 teaspoons black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon cumin
  • ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
  1. Measure ingredients into a small bowl.
  2. Combine ingredients thoroughly.
  3. Enjoy on top of meat or veggies!

Homemade Taco Seasoning // The Speckled PalateHave you made your own seasoning blends before?

Do you make a lot of things at home like I now do?

Ashley // Our Little Apartment April 15, 2013 at 9:28 am

I go through cycles – sometimes life throws me curveballs and I am stressed and buy more than I make (TJ’s has the least amount of extra crap in their packaged food). Other times, I want to save money and make everrrrything from scratch.

I like the idea of homesteading and being self-sufficient and all of that – not to feel superior, but because it feels GOOD.

Love this recipe! It seems like it would keep for a long time – yeah?

Kelly @ Hidden Fruits and Veggies April 15, 2013 at 9:36 am

This is definitely something I want to make! Have you ever read the list of ingredients of stuff in taco seasoning? It’s ridiculous — there shouldnt be anything other than what you’ve listed! I bought ENORMOUS jars of taco seasoning I’m still working through, but then this!

Michelle April 15, 2013 at 1:13 pm

I think I’m gonna end up being one of those Moms too… except I’ll be the even weirder mom how won’t let her kids have wonderbread homemade or not because of the “evils” of wheat. LOL. Let’s hope I get over that phase before I have kids for my kids sake!

Yet, I haven’t started making taco seasoning. Trader Joe’s taco seasoning has only spices and salt as the ingredients so I feel content using that. But if I do get the whim to make my own seasoning – I’ll be using your recipe!

Jayne April 15, 2013 at 9:46 pm

haha… I know what you mean. Those people that make their own tofu, cheese, ferment their own kim chi. Some people here say they proudly grind spices for their curries when all I do is purchase a premix packet. But I get you. I make my own stuff all the time too and it’s always comforting to know that in my bowl of ramen, there is no added MSG or too much salt. Though I don’t really make tacos here, I think this seasoning will go super well in pasta sauces or even roast chicken! Will be making this soon. :-)

courtney April 17, 2013 at 9:52 am

I’m with you in a lot of ways, in that I trust very little about the food industry these days. And I have made my own taco seasoning on many an occasion (I make enough to keep in an empty spice bottle so I can just keep using it til its gone!) but usually with taco seasoning (as opposed to say, baking a loaf of bread), I’m doing it out of laziness. I almost always have enough stuff laying around to make a taco salad, but I never think to keep taco seasoning packets stocked, and who wants to run to the store for just a packet of seasoning?

It’s necessary in other cases, like Chinese five spice or curry powders, unless the international market is on your regular stop route, or you really don’t mind driving clear across town for spices. I do.

Natalie April 18, 2013 at 8:19 am

I stick to easy recipes for the most part but I do want to try some more challenging recipes, people that make their own cheese especially always make me want to gag, but in a good way because they have drive and talent lol I blame it on my small kitchen, maybe if it was bigger I would get a little more daring? At least I can make this taco seasoning and impress my friends with it. :P