Combat afternoon hunger by munching on a handful of Crispy Taco Spiced Chickpeas! These vegan, gluten-free chickpeas, which are tossed in a lightly salted homemade taco seasoning with extra virgin olive oil, then baked until crunchy, make a spicy afternoon pick-me-up snack that take little time to prepare. Flavorful, protein-packed Crispy Taco Spiced Chickpeas can be easily enjoyed on-the-go or by the handful when snack time is imperative.
This post contains affiliate links. If you were to make a purchase through one, I would receive a small commission. Thanks for your support of The Speckled Palate!
These days, I’m a snacker… but this wasn’t always the case.
My snacking habits changed when I was pregnant and hungry all the time. For those 10 months, I snacked throughout the day, grazing on my favorite items, and it seemed to work quite well.
I continued doing so after we had Lady A, and I was feeding her at all hours.
And even now, I still snack like a champion.
But snacking isn’t always easy when you’re a food blogger. (Please feel free to roll your eyes at this transition and at the unintentional drama of it. I did.)
If you’ve been around these parts recently, you know my feed has been inundated with St. Patrick’s Day boozy DESSERTS.
Which is awesome because these desserts are super tasty.
But unfortunately, I cannot live on dessert alone. It’s actually dangerous to have all kinds of desserts in my house… because I’ll choose those to snack upon instead of something better for me.
Which is why I started making these chickpeas.
These chickpeas are full of protein and bursting with flavor. You can’t go wrong with something like this as a quick afternoon pick-me-up.
Additionally, they’re super easy to make. Though it takes them a while to bake, they’re easily stored in the refrigerator for simple snacking throughout the week. And they’ve come in handy for me many, many times.
Because mid-afternoon hunger is no joke. And because I’m trying to NOT grab a cookie in a moment of weakness, and the best way to combat that is having a go-to snack like this on hand.
Essential Tools/Products for Crispy Taco Spiced Chickpeas
Get the look!
- Threshold White Mini Bowl with Gold Rim.
- Jelly Roll Pan.
- Blue and white plaid napkins (Similar from Etsy.)
- 8 oz. mason jar.
I just love the taco seasoning paired with the chickpeas, which crisp up so nicely in the oven. For this recipe, I used my homemade blend, which has very little salt, so if you’re conscious of your salt intake, I highly suggest whipping that up before you roast your chickpeas!
Here’s how you can make this snack for yourself…
Crispy Taco Spiced Chickpeas
- 2 15 oz . cans chickpeas
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons taco seasoning (store-bought or homemade)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a jelly roll pan (or a sheet pan with sides) with nonstick cooking spray, and set aside.
- Open the cans of chickpeas. Drain, then rinse thoroughly. Pat dry with a kitchen towel or paper towels, and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the olive oil and taco seasoning.
- Transfer the chickpeas into the bowl. Using your hands or a rubber spatula, stir them until all the chickpeas are coated with the topping.
- Pour the chickpea mixture onto the prepared jelly roll pan, and place in the oven.
- Bake for 45 minutes, then turn up the oven to 400°F, and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Turn off the oven. Leave the chickpeas inside for an additional 15-30, or until they’re crispy. When you shake the baking sheet, the chickpeas should sound crispy.
- When baked, cool completely and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two weeks.