Add some sweetness to your morning with these Vegan Blueberry Muffins, loved by vegans and non-vegans alike. This is a simple muffin recipe that packs a sweet and slightly tart punch.
Updated to add: I have made this recipe with eggs and without… and I had fun making these vegan last weekend. However, I didn’t change the recipe to reflect the vegan ingredients. Thanks to Amanda, Neeka, Rachel and Theresa for pointing this out to me. I have updated the recipe, and it is now 100% vegan. Sorry about the confusion, y’all.
Back when I was a newspaper photographer in Mississippi, I spent a significant amount of time driving around the Southern portion of the state, covering everything from monster truck throwdowns to sporting events and political rallies to festivals.
One of the festivals I had the opportunity to cover was the Blueberry Jubilee in Poplarville, Miss., and I’ve kind of been obsessed with these lovely blue fruits ever since. Not only did I bring home the most delectable blueberry cobbler I have ever consumed, but also I scored some great deals on blueberries and took them all home, freezing a majority of them to make delightful baked goods and smoothies and anything else I could think of. In fact, I’d love to see if there is some sort of festival like this around Dallas that I could check out in the spring or summertime.
I was grocery shopping last week and stumbled upon a fabulous organic blueberry sale, so I snatched up a few containers of them and brought them home, thrilled to have a little blueberry sweetness during the wintertime. After much waffling, I decided to make some muffins…
This blueberry breakfast treat harkens back to my galley kitchen in Mississippi, and as if that wasn’t enough, they’re vegan, to boot.
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar + 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Coat the blueberries in 1 tablespoon of flour. Set aside.
- Mix dry ingredients -- flour, baking powder and sea salt -- together. Set aside.
- Stir together the sugar, oil and the applesauce until light and fluffy. Add vinegar and baking soda mixture, then the vanilla, stirring until incorporated.
- Sprinkle in the dry ingredients and almond milk, stirring until just mixed.
- Fold in blueberries.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until golden brown, then enjoy warm!