Cinnamon Pork Chops

by Erin on January 14, 2013

in entrees, fruit, meats, vegetables

Cinnamon Pork Chops. // The Speckled Palate

Macaroni and cheese.

Grilled cheese and tomato soup.

Bread and butter.

Bacon and eggs.

Pork and apples.

They’re classic combinations. And it wouldn’t surprise me if we all had nostalgic moments with these pairings.

For example, I have distinct memories of eating a spicy, glazed pork tenderloin with applesauce as a kid. And then topping that applesauce with some cinnamon to give it a little uumph. (And to this day, I will eat a big bowl of unsweetened applesauce topped with ground cinnamon because I love it.)

So when Lindsey shared a variation of this recipe on Facebook, I knew I had to try it. In fact, I ended up making it the same night that I saw the recipe. It blew my mind because I love pork and apples paired together so much. The added touch of carmelizing the apples and onions together with the pork is nothing short of perfect, and for me, this is the wonderful kind of weeknight meal that’s simple to make, hearty and delicious without being out-of-control unhealthy.

4.0 from 1 reviews
Cinnamon Pork Chops

Cook time

Seared pork chops, topped with sweet, caramelized apples and onions. The perfect kind of sweet and savory week night meal.
Recipe type: Entree
Cuisine: American
  • 2 large apples
  • 1 onion
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 lb. bone-in, locally pastured pork chops
  • ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • ½ teaspoon sea salt
  • ¼ teaspoon black pepper
  • ½ cup dry white wine
  1. Chop the apples and onion into bite-sized pieces.
  2. In a skillet over medium heat, heat a tablespoon of olive oil, then cook the apples and onion for 10 minutes.
  3. Remove the apples and onion from the heat, and add the other tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet.
  4. Season the pork chops on both sides with the cinnamon, sea salt and black pepper.
  5. Sear the pork chops over medium-high heat until browned on the outside, then add the wine to the skillet, cooking it down.
  6. Once the wine has cooked down, add the apples and onion back into the pan with the chops and cook until caramelized.
  7. Serve warm, and enjoy!

Cinnamon Pork Chops. // The Speckled Palate

What is your favorite food pairing?

Natalie January 14, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Those pork chops look extremely tasty! Love the cinnamon and apples addition!

Erin January 14, 2013 at 5:27 pm

Thanks, Natalie. I think the apple and cinnamon addition just makes the dish! Please let me know if you give this a try!

Sunnie@ModernGirlNutrition January 14, 2013 at 5:01 pm

These look delicious! So happy I found your blog!

Erin January 14, 2013 at 5:26 pm

Thanks so much, Sunnie! These really are a treat, and I was so happy when my friend sent me the inspiration recipe. I could honestly eat this once a week easily.

Jessica January 14, 2013 at 7:27 pm

I have to say, when I saw this title, I was unsure, but then I got to thinking about it and the cinnamon would be such a lovely pairing! Bring a little sweetness and mix it up. YES! I love it!

Erin January 16, 2013 at 6:49 pm

Thanks, Jess! If you give this a try, PLEASE let me know. It’s delicious, and I agree: I love the sweetness added in with the pork. It’s a good combination.

Jayne January 14, 2013 at 8:10 pm

Such a short list of ingredients but I can already imagine the burst of flavours! I’m just wondering what kind of apples did you use? The sweet variety or the more tart kind?

Erin January 16, 2013 at 7:02 pm

Jayne, I used Fuji apples. They aren’t crazy sweet, but they aren’t crazy tart, either. That’s one of the reasons I love them so much.

Maria @powerpeanutlife January 15, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Wow! That looks so amazing. I love the coconut chicken I’m eating…but this dish puts it to shame.

Have you tried pork and figs? Also a favorite of mine. I’m obsessed with figs.

Erin January 17, 2013 at 10:40 am

Maria, thanks! I’ve never had coconut chicken, and THAT sounds fabulous.

And I’ve sadly never tried pork and figs together. I wish I had thought about that this past summer. We lived in a house with a HUGE fig tree, and we could have easily made so many dishes with the two. Hmm. I must try it sometime this coming summer!

Fletcher January 21, 2013 at 9:12 am

How long is the last phase of cooking, “until caramelized”? Usually caramelization requires high temp, and with the chops in the pan, they would end up getting very well done (I prefer my chops cooked to the new standard of 145, where they remain slightly pink and juicy.) Or do you mean cook until the liquid is reduced?

Erin January 21, 2013 at 10:34 am

Fletcher, guess I should have specified a little better. I cook the apples and onions down first… and then when I put them back in the pan, I cook them until they’re caramelized with the pork in the pan. I haven’t had problems with the pork overcooking, but you could easily just cook the apples and onions until caramelized on their first step instead, then add them back in with the chops and wine until it reduces, then serve up hot.

I hope that helps!

Fletcher January 21, 2013 at 7:58 pm

Yes, thanks. I’ve got a couple of blade chops from our local farmers’ market that I’ll try soon.

Erin January 23, 2013 at 11:04 am

You’re welcome! Please let me know how they turn out!