Grilling for friends this weekend for the Super Bowl? Whip up these Spinach and Artichoke Stuffed Turkey Burgers. They’re delicious and perfect for a group!
My friend, Rachel, and I were discussing running earlier this week. Rachel, two of our friends and I ran a half marathon together on New Year’s Eve.
Since then, we’ve all continued moving, and Rachel and I are working with coaches to achieve our 2014 running goals. (I’ll be sharing one of mine next week, and it is equally thrilling and terrifying.)
So we’re chatting running, then the topic shifted to nutrition and how it is important to pay attention to what you’re eating while you’re training for a race. Not only because what you consume fuels your training runs, but because a lot of newbie runners, myself included, initially think they can eat ALL THE THINGS just because they’re exercising. Which, sadly, is untrue.
So Rachel mentioned that she created a cheeseburger rule.
Yes, a cheeseburger rule.
She got to indulge in a cheeseburger after she completed any long run that was more than 5 miles if she felt like it… and I adopted the rule, too, because hi, cheeseburgers are awesome.
The thing is, we’re running 20+ miles per week these days, and a weekday 5-miler is a regular occurrence, so the cheeseburger rule has morphed a bit… and we’ve already discussed the possibility of eating cheeseburgers next Saturday after we finish a 15K (and additional miles because HI, training.)
Sooooo… these Spinach and Artichoke Stuffed Turkey Burgers.
They aren’t classic cheeseburgers, but they come pretty darn close, deliciousness-wise.
Bonus points: The filling is chock-full of vegetables and a little bit of cheese to add pizzazz to your usual turkey burger.
Additional bonus points: Lean protein (like turkey) is awesome when you’re in training. Here’s how you can make your own… and potentially serve this to guests at a SuperBowl party… or indulge just because!
Grilling for friends this weekend for the Super Bowl? Whip up these Spinach and Artichoke Stuffed Turkey Burgers. They're delicious and perfect for a group!
Spinach and Artichoke Stuffing
- 12 oz. artichoke hearts, drained and rinsed
- 3 cups fresh spinach
- 4 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 4 roasted garlic cloves
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 lbs. ground turkey
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 burger buns
- In a food processor, combine the ingredients for the stuffing -- artichoke hearts, spinach, cream cheese, roasted garlic cloves, salt and pepper -- and blend until incorporated.
- Fire up the grill, the form the burgers.
- Pat out 12 patties (instead of 6), and make them relatively thin. Dollop two tablespoons of the spinach and artichoke mixture onto the center of 6 of them, then top each with another patty and seal the edges.
- Grill the burgers over medium-high heat, flipping once until the turkey has heated to 165°.
- Serve in buns with garnishes, and enjoy immediately!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 619Total Fat: 35gSaturated Fat: 11gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 19gCholesterol: 179mgSodium: 598mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 4gSugar: 5gProtein: 46g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate.