This post is sponsored by Jennie-O. As always, all opinions and recipe are my own.
Healthy lunches don’t have to be boring. Turkey Shawarma Wraps make a flavorful, healthy lunch to enjoy in the new year! Season Jennie-O Extra Lean Ground Turkey Breast with curry powder, cumin, salt and pepper, and cook with garlic, spritzing with fresh lemon when finished. In a whole wheat tortilla wrap, layer a salad tossed in homemade Greek dressing, then add the turkey. Wrap like a burrito, secure with toothpicks, cut in half, and enjoy!
I don’t know what it is about lunch, but I have the hardest time making myself healthy, wholesome meals around mid-day.
It’s not because I work outside of the home and don’t have time to pack lunch.
No. I work from my house. I have access to my kitchen 24/7, and yet, most days, I struggle.
One of my goals for 2017 is to actively eat a healthier, balanced diet while stepping up my fitness game.
And these Turkey Shawarma Wraps? They’re exactly what I need to succeed.
You know how healthy food is sometimes flavorless? These wraps actively work to combat that stereotype. And they call for shawarma flavors, which are some of my all-time favorites.
Jennie-O Extra Lean Ground Turkey Breast serves as the base for this wrap. Then we add lots of garlic and seasonings. I lived in South Louisiana for years, and if you order shawarma there, you’ll leave the restaurant happy and with maaaaaajor garlic breath. (And no, it’s not a bad thing because it’s so tasty.) If you’re not into garlic, feel free to use less.
Layer the Ground Turkey Shawarma on top of an impromptu Greek salad… then we’ll roll ‘em all together in a whole wheat wrap. Basically shawarma salad in wrap form.
This wrap’s versatility is part of its beauty. You can add a variety of different vegetables if that makes you happy. Add a drizzle of homemade tzatziki or just a schmear of Greek yogurt if you’re feelin’ wild, too.
Are you battling the lunchtime blues? Does this wrap sound delicious?
Scroll down to learn how you can make your own for the week…
Healthy lunches don't have to be boring. Turkey Shawarma Wraps make a flavorful, healthy lunch to enjoy in the new year! Season Jennie-O Extra Lean Ground Turkey Breast with curry powder, cumin, salt and pepper, and cook with garlic, spritzing with fresh lemon when finished. In a whole wheat tortilla wrap, layer a salad tossed in homemade Greek dressing, then add the turkey. Wrap like a burrito, secure with toothpicks, cut in half, and enjoy!
Ground Turkey Shawarma (Makes 4 Servings)
- 1 lb. Jennie-O Extra Lean Ground Turkey Breast
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon mild curry powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- ½ cup unsalted chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
Turkey Shawarma Wrap Dressing (Makes enough for 1)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- Pinch of kosher salt and black pepper
Turkey Shawarma Wrap (Makes 1)
- ½ cup Ground Turkey Shawarma
- 1 cup romaine lettuce
- ¼ cup cucumber, chopped
- 1 tablespoon feta cheese
- 1 Whole wheat tortilla wrap, (at least 8” around)
Cook the Ground Turkey Shawarma
- First, heat a skillet over medium-high heat. When warm, measure in the olive oil.
- Add the ground turkey and break into smaller pieces with a wooden spoon. Add the garlic, then season with curry powder, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Move the meat and garlic around the pan as they cook, about 5-7 minutes
- When the meat begins browning and is no longer pink, pour in the chicken stock and deglaze the pan. Cook for 2-4 minutes, or until the chicken stock cooks out.
- Remove the skillet from the heat, then season the turkey with lemon juice, and set aside.
Make the Turkey Shawarma Wrap
- Measure the olive oil, red wine vinegar and lemon juice into a medium-sized bowl, then season with salt and pepper, and whisk.
- Add the romaine lettuce, cucumber and feta directly on top of the dressing. Toss until every piece of lettuce has been coated in the dressing.
- Place the whole wheat tortilla wrap on a flat surface. Layer the salad in the middle of the wrap, then add Ground Turkey Shawarma on top.
- Fold in the sides of the wrap, and roll slowly like a burrito. Secure the wrap with toothpicks, cut in half, and refrigerate until time to eat.
Please note that the Ground Turkey Shawarma makes enough for 4 wraps, but the wrap ingredients/instructions are just for one.
If you want to add more vegetables, like red onions or tomatoes, to the salad, feel free! Just keep in mind that the more vegetables, the harder the wrap will be to roll.
If you eat a dairy free diet or are avoiding dairy, don’t add feta cheese.
Serving Size:1 wrap
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1463Total Fat: 60gSaturated Fat: 17gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 35gCholesterol: 276mgSodium: 1436mgCarbohydrates: 121gFiber: 11gSugar: 6gProtein: 106g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate.
Do you struggle with lunches, too?
Would you like to try a Turkey Shawarma Wrap?
Erin Parker is a Southern gal living in Texas with her husband and two daughters. She started The Speckled Palate to share what she was cooking as a newlywed… and over the years, it’s evolved to capture her love for hosting. Specifically, the EASIEST, lowest key entertaining because everyone deserves to see their people and connect over good food. Learn more about her…