This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #GiveThanksBeFull #CollectiveBias
Want to make the ULTIMATE Friendsgiving appetizer? Crunchy Green Bean Casserole Bites with a Creamy Dipping Gravy is the recipe you’re looking for! Transform traditional green bean casserole ingredients – Del Monte® Blue Lake® Cut Green Beans, Campbell’s® Cream of Mushroom Soup and Swanson® Chicken broth – into a handheld appetizer and dipping gravy that are sure to wow. Ready in less than 50 minutes, these easy bites are scrumptious!
‘Tis the season for FRIENDSGIVING!
And I don’t know about y’all, but I’m always lookin’ for some quick, delicious dishes to share with my friends.
So if you’re one of those people? And you’re hosting and/or attending a Friendsgiving celebration? Have I got the recipe for you!
Green Bean Casserole is a classic recipe for Thanksgiving… so how ‘bout we take that classic and turn it on its head?
I’ve got the perfect EASY appetizer to make for a crowd that’s prepped, cooked and on the table in less than 50 minutes.
There’s a restaurant in Dallas that serves fried green beans, and I’d be lying if I said those weren’t an inspiration for this recipe.
The thing is… I hate frying in my own home. Every time I’ve done it in recent memory, my house has smelled like oil and whatever food I cooked in said oil for days.
So today? We’re cooking these faux-fried green beans in the oven to make ‘em a little lighter.
We’re also making a delightfully easy “gravy” to dip them in.
And it’s so, so, so good. Between my husband, my daughter and I, we ate half the batch after they came out of the oven, dunking the Crunchy Green Bean Casserole Bites into the Mushroom Gravy I whipped up to go along with them. 😉
I headed on down to Target to pick up ingredients to use for this spin on the traditional green bean casserole.
First, I picked up some Campbell’s® Cream of Mushroom Soup, which I planned to use to make a simple “gravy” for this dish. (I found this by the entrance of the store in the grocery section with tons of other Thanksgiving-centric foods. It’s also down the soup aisle!) Campbell’s soup has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember, and the easy-to-make soups not only provide an awesome base for many dishes, but they can be eaten as a meal by themselves and nourish the entire family.
I also grabbed a carton of Swanson® Chicken broth. (I found this by the entrance of the store in the grocery section, too! It’s next to the soup on the soup aisle, as well.) This 100% natural broth is made from simple ingredients. As an added bonus, there are NO added artificial flavors or preservatives.
Then I picked up the pièce de résistance: the Del Monte® Blue Lake® Cut Green Beans. (They were also proudly displayed by the entrance of Target’s grocery section with the other Thanksgiving-centric food, but I spotted some cans down the canned veggie aisle, too.) These high quality green beans are canned simply with water and a dash of sea salt. I’ve relied on cans of Del Monte® green beans many, many times to add a quick, nutritious veggie to our dinner, and my whole family loves them.
After grabbing those essential parts of this appetizer, I picked up some eggs in the dairy section, parmesan by the cheese, and panko breadcrumbs down the baking aisle.
Quite honestly, Target has all the goods to make your Friendsgiving (or Thanksgiving!) super tasty… and they’ve made it easy on us with these displays by the grocery entrance for this twist on green bean casserole. It makes for a quick, easy shopping stop with no fuss.
So I had my ingredients. Now it was time to make the appetizer!
Quite honestly, the most arduous part of this process is the prep. Coating green beans in egg wash, rolling them in breadcrumbs, then going back to the egg wash and back to the breadcrumbs again? It’s kind of messy. Be kind to yourself by using forks or spoons in the egg wash and using a spider strainer to get the beans out of the breadcrumbs. Just be careful, as the breading is delicate.
If the breading doesn’t stick to the green beans well, you can coat them as best as possible, then sprinkle the leftover breading on top of the beans before they bake. It might not be super pretty, but food doesn’t have to be super pretty to be utterly delicious.
Now who’s salivating over these Crunchy Green Bean Casserole Bites and their Mushroom Gravy?
Let’s cook ‘em up:
- 2-14 oz. can Del Monte® Blue Lake® Cut Green Beans
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup milk
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 10.5 oz. can Campbell's® Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 cup Swanson® Chicken broth
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and set aside.
- Drain the water and sea salt from the Del Monte® Blue Lake® Cut Green Beans by placing them in a colander. (Please note that they do not need to be rinsed.) Set aside.
- In a large bowl with high sides, crack the eggs. Break the yolks with a fork, and stir in the milk. Set aside.
- In another large bowl, measure out the panko breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese. Season with the black pepper. Set aside.
- Take a handful of the Del Monte® Blue Lake® Cut Green Beans and place them in the egg wash. Coat, then transfer them to the breading.
- When coated, carefully transfer them back into the egg wash. Coat the green beans again, then transfer to the breading mixture.
- When the green beans have been dipped and breaded twice, place them on the prepared baking sheet.
- Work in batches, coating the green beans in the egg wash before they go into the breading. Do this twice with each batch, and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- When all the green beans have been breaded, transfer the baking sheet into the preheated oven.
- Bake the green beans for 20 minutes, or until the breading begins to brown and crisp up.
- Remove the green beans from the oven, and store in a warm place until ready to serve. (They’re best served hot, so while the Crunchy Green Beans bake, make the gravy!)
- In a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat, pour in the Campbell's® Cream of Mushroom Soup and the Swanson® Chicken broth.
- Whisk occasionally while heating, cooking until the mixture is bubbling and combined.
- Serve immediately with the warm Crunchy Green Beans!
Pick up your Campbell’s® Cream of Chicken, Swanson® Chicken Broth in a Can (or Swanson® Chicken Broth in a Carton), Campbell’s® Cream of Mushroom and your Del Monte® Green Beans at Target before Thanksgiving!
Get recipe inspiration from Swanson, too!