Spiced Apple Cider is the perfect warm drink for a chilly fall evening and especially for Halloween! 100% apple juice, cinnamon sticks, whole cloves and a little brown sugar simmer together over low heat until the juice transforms into a spicy, seasonal favorite. Pour the Spiced Apple Cider into your favorite to-go mug, then sip slowly while trick-or-treating! This drink is also delicious with a splash of rum or bourbon if you’re feelin’ fancy.
This post contains affiliate links. If you were to make a purchase through one, I would receive a small commission. For more information about the affiliate programs The Speckled Palate participates in, please refer to my disclosure page.
Happy Halloween, y’all! (Or, as I’ve said several times today to my husband, my sister and my dog, ‘Happy Howl-o-ween!’)
Yes, I’m that person. Let’s just embrace it, mmmkay?
Today, I wanted to share a favorite recipe of mine for this time of year… and it’s a recipe that I actually concocted on All Hallow’s Eve 2012, when I wanted something warm to hold while I opened the door time and again to the various trick-or-treaters in our neighborhood.
It worked quite well, and I am happy to report that if you’re wanting to make this an adult beverage, it goes wonderfully with bourbon (honey or regular), and I bet rum would be quite nice in it, too.
Erin’s Recommended Tools/Products for Spiced Apple Cider
- A large, heavy-bottomed stockpot or a Dutch oven: Since this recipe calls for 8 cups of apple juice (and can easily be doubled), you need a pot that will be large enough to brew this cider in! The Nordic Ware 8-Quart Stockpot and the Calphalon 6-Quart Stainless Steel Stock Pot would both work well. If you want to invest in a Dutch oven, my Le Creuset 5-Quart Enameled Cast-Iron Oval French (Dutch) Oven has been a favorite since the day it arrived.)
- Cute cider mugs: The Latte Mug Set is precious, as are these Ceramic Enamel Mugs. If you’re taking this cider on-the-go, check out the Anthropologie En Route Travel Mug and the Kate Spade New York Dot Thermal Travel Mug.
Armed with this information, are y’all ready to make these beauts?
Here’s how you make it…
Spiced Apple Cider is the perfect warm drink for a chilly fall evening and especially for Halloween! 100% apple juice, cinnamon sticks, whole cloves and a little brown sugar simmer together over low heat until the juice transforms into a spicy, seasonal favorite. Pour the Spiced Apple Cider into your favorite to-go mug, then sip slowly while trick-or-treating! This drink is also delicious with a splash of rum or bourbon if you're feelin' fancy.
- 8 cups unsweetened apple juice
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons whole cloves
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- Pour the apple juice into a large saucepan.
- Add the cinnamon sticks, whole cloves and brown sugar.
- Heat over medium-low heat, and bring to a boil.
- Once the ingredients have come to a boil, lower the heat and simmer the cider for an additional 30 minutes.
- Serve immediately, or save for up to two weeks in the refrigerator and reheat in the microwave when you want a cup of cider.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 129Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 14mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 1gSugar: 27gProtein: 0g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate.
What are your Halloween plans?
The photos and recipe for this Spiced Apple Cider were originally published on October 31, 2013. The photographs, along with the text of this blog post, were updated on October 31, 2016.