Spiced Apple Cider is the perfect warm drink for a chilly fall evening and especially for Halloween! All you need are a handful of ingredients and spices, as well as about 30 minutes to make this easy apple cider recipe. Makes 8 servings.
Happy Halloween, y’all! (Or, as I’ve said several times today to my husband, my sister and my dog, ‘Happy Howl-o-ween!’)
Yes, I’m that person. Let’s just embrace it, mmmkay?
Today, I wanted to share a favorite recipe of mine for this time of year…
Why I love this recipe:
This easy hot Apple Cider recipe was concocted on Halloween night 2012, when I wanted something warm to hold while I opened the door time and again to the various trick-or-treaters.
If you’re looking for a super easy, delicious win for any fall entertaining occasion (or just to make for yourself or your family), this apple cider recipe is for you.
It’s not totally from-scratch cider, which would be excellent, though I lack the foresight and planning to do that. (So if that’s what you are looking for, this is sadly not the recipe for you.)
Also, if you want to transform this into an adult beverage, I can confirm the mulled cider pairs nicely with bourbon and rum. We’ve spiked ours several times, and it’s absolutely delicious.
Looking for more cocktail inspiration? Head on over to my Drinks Recipe Index for more ideas.
What you need to make this recipe:
The Speckled Palate participates in affiliate programs. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases. Please refer to my disclosure page for more information about these affiliate programs.
- A large pot or a Dutch oven, like a Le Creuset 5-Quart Enameled Cast-Iron Oval French (Dutch) Oven
- Wooden spoon or rubber spatula for stirring
Let’s talk ingredients!
In addition to the tools above, you’re going to need some ingredients to make this recipe, too! Chances are, you might already have some of them in your fridge or pantry. Scroll down to the recipe card for the full measurements and instructions.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Apple cider — this unfiltered apple goodness packs so much flavor and deliciousness into this drink. If you can’t find cider, you may use apple juice.
- Spices — we’re using a combination of cinnamon sticks and whole cloves. You could also throw in a few star anise, too, if you have those!
- Brown sugar — I’m a fan of dark brown sugar for this recipe for the additional molasses flavor, but you can use light brown sugar if that’s what you have.
Please note that we are spicing this apple cider ourselves, so you do not need to purchase Spiced Apple Cider from the store.
How to make easy apple cider
Pour the store bought apple cider into a large saucepan or a Dutch oven.
Add the cinnamon sticks, whole cloves and brown sugar.
Warm over medium-low heat. Stir occasionally and bring the cider to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer the cider for an additional 30 minutes.
Remove the cloves and cinnamon sticks. You may strain through a fine mesh strainer, if desired.
Serve or save for up to two weeks in the refrigerator and reheat in the microwave when you want a cup of cider.
Frequently Asked Questions
We’re making this apple cider easy by purchasing some classic cider from the store and adding our own spice blend and sweeteners! If you want to make apple cider from scratch, check out this recipe.
It depends on what you like, but I love to pair caramel with apple cider. I also love to add bourbon, whiskey and rum to cider.
This will keep in the refrigerator for about 2 weeks.
Quick tips and tricks to the easiest spiced apple cider recipe
- Double or triple the recipe. This is great for a crowd and so simple to make!
- Keep it warm in the slow cooker or crock pot. If you want to serve this for a gathering, the slow cooker is a must! Set out mugs and garnishes beside the slow cooker and let guests serve themselves.
- Store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. Chances are, it won’t last that long! Reheat in a microwave-safe mug in the microwave when you want individual glasses.
Armed with this information, are y’all ready to make these beauts?
Here’s how you make it…
Spiced Apple Cider is the perfect warm drink for a chilly fall evening and especially for Halloween! All you need are a handful of ingredients and spices, as well as about 30 minutes to make this easy apple cider recipe.
- 8 cups apple cider
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons whole cloves
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- Pour the apple cider into a large saucepan.
- Add the cinnamon sticks, whole cloves and brown sugar.
- Heat over medium-low heat, and bring to a boil.
- Once the ingredients have come to a boil, lower the heat and simmer the cider for an additional 30 minutes.
- Serve immediately, or save for up to two weeks in the refrigerator and reheat in the microwave when you want a cup of cider.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 129Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 14mgCarbohydrates: 32gFiber: 1gSugar: 27gProtein: 0g
Nutrition facts are an estimate and not guaranteed to be accurate.
The photos and recipe for this Spiced Apple Cider were originally published on October 31, 2013. The photographs, along with the text of this blog post, were updated on October 31, 2016.