Planning to picnic this spring and summer? Bring Strawberry Romaine Salad in a Jar along as a seasonal side dish. Romaine is layered into a mason jar, followed by fresh, sliced strawberries. The lettuce and fruit are topped with toasted pecans and feta cheese, then tossed in a homemade lemon vinaigrette to complete the dish!
I know. I know.
We’ve all heard of the salad in a jar phenomenon.
I’m so late to the party.
However, when I was plotting out our Earth Day picnic, I wanted to use products that were eco-friendly. So instead of making these salads in disposable containers, I went into my kitchen cabinets and found some mason jars.
I’m fairly positive this isn’t really considered “up-cycling.” We’re not turning these mason jars into something else… but we’re using something we already had to make this side dish portable! And we didn’t have to purchase anything!
And they’re easy to bring along, assuming your child doesn’t try to wreak havoc in the picnic basket like mine did above. (Oops.)
Turns out, 13-month-olds are into jarred salads and all their ingredients!
This salad is super easy to pull together, and it’s the perfect thing to make last minute for a picnic or any other get-together.
First, you throw the romaine in a mason jar. Next, you add the chopped strawberries. Then you add the toasted pecans. And then the feta. Seal the jar up until it’s time to eat… then make the lemon vinaigrette.
And when it’s time to eat, pour that vinaigrette into the jar, close it up, and shake it with all your might. I can see this being a really good activity for a kid under parental supervision because we don’t want broken glass at the picnic.
Then enjoy this spring-y, tart, crunchy salad!
Strawberry Romaine Salad in a Jar
- 1 1/2 cups romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cup fresh strawberries , sliced
- 2 tablespoons pecans , toasted
- 1 tablespoon feta cheese
- 1/2 tablespoon freshly-squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Salt and pepper , to taste
Prepare the salad in a mason jar
- Layer the ingredients into the jar.
- First, measure in the romaine.
- Next, add the sliced strawberries.
- Top the strawberries with the cooled, toasted pecans.
- Add the feta cheese on top.
- Screw on the jar top, and place in the picnic basket (or in the fridge) until it's time for the picnic.
Make the vinaigrette
- In a small mason jar, measure in the lemon juice, white wine vinegar, olive oil and honey.
- Season with salt and pepper, then place the cap on the jar, and mix vigorously.
- Store at room temperature before placing in the picnic basket for the picnic.
Prepare the salad
- Once at the picnic, open the salad jar, and pour the desired amount of vinaigrette in.
- Screw the cap back onto the salad jar, and shake until the vinaigrette coats the salad.
- Serve immediately, and enjoy!