Celebrate fall flavors and cooler temperatures by baking a Spiced Apple Upside Down Cake with Bourbon Caramel Glaze! Apple-filled and bursting with cinnamon, ginger and allspice, this boozy cake is sure to be loved when served to family, friends or guests. Makes 1 bundt cake.
This post contains affiliate links. If you were to make a purchase through one, I would receive a small commission. For more information about the affiliate programs The Speckled Palate participates in, please refer to my disclosure page.
Imagine it with me: You’re hosting friends for a casual dinner party.
After clearing the table from the entrée course, you whisk away into the kitchen to smell the sweet scent of baking apples and caramel.
“What’s next?” one of your guests calls.
“It smells like fall!” another announces.
And when you bring out the straight-from-the-oven piece de resistance—this Spiced Apple Upside Down Cake with Bourbon Caramel Glaze—your guests swoon.
It’s a good vision, right?
I think it’s something we should all do this season—host some friends we adore for dinner and treat them to a good meal… and finish said meal with this decadent, fall-flavored whammy of an upside down cake.
Obviously, I’m all about fall flavored baked goods, and this cake? Well, it’s a riff off last year’s wildly popular Praline Pumpkin Upside Down Cake.
And let me tell you, if you’re an apple fan, a whiskey fan, or a baked good that smells like the season fan? Well, you’re gonna ADORE this cake.
This Spiced Apple Upside Down Cake with Bourbon Caramel Glaze is lovely and slightly boozy and moist and incredibly flavorful.
The best news? You can make it in a little more than an hour.
And I’ve teamed up with my pals Madison and Meghan to bring y’all boozy desserts today! Because autumn deserves some boozy desserts. (Scroll on down to get their recipes, along with mine!)
Spiced Apple Upside Down Cake with Bourbon Caramel Glaze Essentials
Get the look!
- Gold dot dessert plates (Similar from 8 Oak Lane.)
- Palais Glassware® Elegant Glass Cupcake or Cake Stand.
- Oneida Countess Servingware.
Apples are so wonderful this time of year that this lends itself so various occasions and would be absolutely delightful for all of them.
Because every gathering this time of year should include a dessert that highlights some of he season’s best flavors.
Celebrate fall flavors and cooler temperatures by baking a Spiced Apple Upside Down Cake with Bourbon Caramel Glaze! Apple-filled and bursting with cinnamon, ginger and allspice, this boozy cake is sure to be loved when served to family, friends or guests. Perfect for a dinner party, a holiday shindig or even the showstopping Thanksgiving dessert, this Spiced Apple Upside Down Cake with Bourbon Caramel Glaze is a cake the whole family can love.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- 2 oz. bourbon
- A pinch of kosher salt
- 1 apple, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, , melted
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 oz. bourbon
- 1 ¼ cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ¾ teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 apple, diced into ½” cubes (about 1 cup)
Make the Topping
- Spray a bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray, and set aside.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-heat on the stovetop.
- Melt the butter, then add the brown sugar. Sprinkle in a pinch of salt, too.
- When the brown sugar begins to bubble, add the bourbon.
- Stir constantly until the bourbon has cooked off, then remove from the heat.
- Pour the topping into the prepared bundt pan. Arrange the apple slices in a pattern you’d like for the top of the cake. (There does not have to be any rhyme or reason, so have fun with this!)
- Set aside.
Make the Apple Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large glass bowl, melt the butter in the microwave.
- When the butter is melted, add the applesauce to the mixture. Whisk together until smooth and combined.
- Pour in the sugar, and whisk until combined.
- Add the eggs, vanilla and bourbon, whisking until smooth.
- In another glass bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger and allspice.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, stirring until smooth and combined. The batter will be thick, so use a rubber spatula or a wooden spoon to mix at this point.
- Toss in the ½” diced apples, and stir until mixed into the batter.
- When the batter is complete, pour onto the prepared topping in the bundt pan.
- Smooth out the batter until it's evenly distributed in the pan.
- Place the pan in the oven, and bake for 50-55 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. The cake will be a dark golden brown color.
- When the cake has baked through, remove from the oven, and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Place a heatproof cake plate on top of the bundt pan, and carefully flip the cake to remove it from the pan. Some of the apples may have gone astray, so you can rearrange them.
- Let the cake cool before serving.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar, then serve and enjoy!
Adapted from my Praline Pumpkin Upside Down Cake recipe.
Please note total time does NOT include the amount of time it will take the cake to cool off.
Serving Size:1 slice
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 256 Total Fat: 9g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 67mg Sodium: 340mg Carbohydrates: 37g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 25g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 3g