Small-batch Strawberry Cupcakes with Strawberry Cream Cheese Icing are the perfect sweet for a celebration. Made with fresh strawberry puree instead of strawberry-flavored ingredients, these flavorful cupcakes are topped with a decadent strawberry cream cheese icing!
Today’s an important day.
Five years ago, I married an incredible guy.
Five years later, so much has changed in our lives, but our relationship is as strong as ever. We have a beautiful daughter (and our sweet furbaby, too!) We live in Texas (and spent a year in Louisiana, too, between now and then.) We’re settling our roots, and it feels good. All of it feels really good.
On our wedding day, we cut into a cake that was tiered with white, chocolate and strawberry layers at our wedding reception.
It was pretty spectacular. I mean… LOOK at that cake! And while you’re looking… check out how young we are, too. We. Were. Babies. (Not really. But goodness, we look it.)
Four years ago, we devoured the top of our cake — another strawberry layer because the strawberry was my favorite at the tasting, and it didn’t disappoint.
And this year? I’m makin’ these Small-Batch Strawberry Cupcakes with Strawberry Cream Cheese Icing to commemorate our anniversary.
I cannot tell y’all how many times I have tried and failed to make cupcakes using actual strawberries instead of strawberry jello or strawberry extract. The texture can get gloopy if not done right, and until this past weekend, I hadn’t found the right balance.
And this past weekend, I gave it another go… and lightning struck.
These cupcakes, which only use actual strawberries for flavoring, are delightful! They don’t taste artificial. The strawberry flavor is subtle, the cake is fluffy and the icing, which is made with more strawberry puree, sings.
The added bonus is that this recipe makes just six cupcakes. The icing is for six cupcakes. And you won’t have the chance to overindulge as much as you would with a recipe that makes 18-24 cupcakes.
It’s a win-win… especially if you’re celebrating an occasion with just two people!
I’m so pleased with this here recipe, and I’m even happier to share it with y’all today on our anniversary. It’s only fitting.
We’ll be celebrating in style with these cupcakes that tastes like our wedding cake. Happy anniversary, Winston!
Small-Batch Strawberry Cupcakes with Strawberry Cream Cheese Icing
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil , melted and cooled slightly
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons strawberry puree (made from fresh or frozen strawberries)
- 1/2 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- A pinch of salt
Strawberry Cream Cheese Icing
- 2 oz . cream cheese , softened
- 8 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons strawberry puree (made from fresh or frozen strawberries)
Make the Cupcakes
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place six cupcake liners in a cupcake pan, and spray lightly with baking spray. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg whites and granulated sugar.
- Measure in the coconut oil, vanilla extract and strawberry puree. Whisk until all the wet ingredients are combined.
- Add the flour, baking powder and salt. Whisk until the ingredients are combined and smooth.
- Measure the batter into the prepared cupcake liners.
- Bake for 10-13 minutes, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow 30 minutes to cool before icing.
Make the Icing
- While the cupcakes are baking, cream the cream cheese, powdered sugar and strawberry puree using a hand mixer.
- When the icing is smooth, chill in the refrigerator until icing the cupcakes.