Last Updated on
A fresh, green salad, jazzed up with traditional (and not so traditional) Cobb toppings. Get your homemade salad fix with this Avocado and Panko-Crusted Chicken Cobb Salad, which calls for crunchy baked chicken, avocados and lots of vegetables! Topped with a Creamy Honey Mustard Dressing, this salad is perfect for sharing.
I am embarrassed to admit to y’all that during the last year, I became obsessed with a certain fast food restaurant’s Chicken Cobb Salad. It is so delicious, and add in how convenient it is to pick up when driving from a certain direction back to our house, and you can surmise that I
probably definitely overindulged.
As someone who likes to eat whole, real foods, I feel less bad when ordering this salad as opposed my traditional fast food restaurant go-to: French fries… though I know in the back of my mind that the dish probably isn’t as good for me as I think it is.
So when I had a hankering for my favorite fast food salad the first week in January, I decided it was high time that I learned to make it for myself.
After all, nothing beats a homemade salad.
I had most of the ingredients I loved from the dish in the fridge already, so I decided to bake some chicken tenderloins with a panko breadcrumb crust, adding a crunch in their texture.
I chopped greens and various other vegetables and threw them into the bowl.
I added a sprinkling of cheese to the veggies.
I fried up a little bacon for good measure, too. Then I hardboiled some eggs.
I even topped it off with some sliced avocado. While it’s not a traditional Cobb Salad topping, it was just delightful. (Also, AVOCADO. So good.)
My mother, who was in town while this salad was being made, and I ate like queens that day… and I’ve been making a small rendition of this salad ever since because it’s the perfect lunchtime dish that simple to make, delicious and chock full of veggies.
Here’s how you can make your own:
A fresh, green salad, jazzed up with traditional (and not so traditional) Cobb toppings. Get your homemade salad fix with this Avocado and Panko-Crusted Chicken Cobb Salad, which calls for crunchy baked chicken, avocados and lots of vegetables!
- 3/4 lb . chicken tenderloins
- 1 egg, , beaten.
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 12 oz . romaine lettuce heads, , chopped
- 7 slices bacon, , fried and crumbled
- 2 green onions, , chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar, , shredded
- 4 hardboiled eggs, , sliced
- 1 ripe avocado, , sliced
Make the chicken
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Break the egg into a bowl and season with the salt and pepper. Sprinkle the panko breadcrumbs into another bowl.
- Dip the chicken into the egg wash mixture, then transfer to the panko, moving around until coated in the breadcrumbs.
- Place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and repeat until all the chicken tenderloins are coated.
- Bake at 375°F for 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven, and once cooled, slice up and set aside.
Make the Salad
- In a skillet over medium-high heat, fry the bacon until cooked to your level of liking. Remove from the heat, pat dry and let cool, then crumble and set aside.
- Hardboil the eggs. Once cooked, remove the shells, slice and set aside.
- Chop the romaine into bite-sized pieces, and transfer to a serving bowl.
- Chop the green onions, and sprinkle on top of the romaine.
- Wash the cherry tomatoes (if you haven't already), then sprinkle on top of the salad.
- Sprinkle the hardboiled eggs, bacon and panko-crusted chicken on top of the ingredients.
- Slice an avocado and top the salad with this.
- Serve individually, and let each person drizzle the amount of salad dressing they want on top of their salad. (Or dress the salad and then serve immediately.)