Iced Cocoa

by Erin on February 12, 2014

in dessert, drink

Iced Cocoa // The Speckled Palate

If you’re following me on Facebook, you might recall that I shared a photograph of the glass jar that went atop our blender after it fell over while drying and partially shattered.

This past weekend, we got a new blender, and I’ve been blending up all kinds of things ever since because I’m stupid excited about it.

Yes, I realize this is kind of sad, but when you haven’t had a good blender for a few weeks and have been forced to utilize the “blender” attachment of your food processor/blender duo that was unfortunately taken apart during the early days of your marriage and currently leaks like a sieve, you’d be thrilled, too.

Iced Cocoa // The Speckled Palate

And that, my friends, is where this drink comes in.

I thought it would be fun to make a sweet, easy treat before Valentine’s Day, and I feel like this Iced Cocoa would also work nicely for a viewing party of the Winter Olympics. Because, ya know, I’m sure some folks do that and be social as they cheer on the athletes and sob over some of the stories shared. (No? Just me?)

Also, on a semi-related note, I discovered that my dog adores marshmallows during this shoot. So much that she was stealing them off the bench where I was photographing the final product when I wasn’t looking… and then came to sit between my legs as I was shooting when she realized I was on to her.

My sweet pup is always looking for a treat, y’all, and these marshmallows fit the bill yesterday. So strange, especially since I don’t believe she’s ever eaten marshmallows before…

Iced Cocoa // The Speckled PalateHere’s how you can whip up this drink at your home:

4.7 from 3 reviews
Chilled Hot Cocoa

Recipe type: Dessert
  • 4 tablespoons bittersweet chocolate chips, melted
  • 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
  • Dash of cinnamon
  • 8 drops of liquid smoke
  • 1 cup milk (or non-dairy milk)
  • 2 cups ice cubes
  1. Measure all ingredients in the blender.
  2. Blend until just combined, and serve immediately.

Iced Cocoa // The Speckled Palate

Are you planning on hosting a party for the Olympics before its run is over?

Are you cooking for your Valentine on Friday?

Kathy February 12, 2014 at 9:11 am

Wow, I have never heard of liquid smoke before! Does it make the drink frothy? Our blender sucks so I hardly use it. (and now that I am old, I have sensitive teeth to cold things lol) I think we are spending Valentine’s with friends this year, which is nice. We usually don’t do anything because our anniversary is on the 19th. ;)

I am really intrigued about the liquid smoke, where would I find it?

Ashley February 12, 2014 at 11:52 am

I bought my liquid smoke on amazon! But in a drink…!? Erin, you aren’t leading us astray are you? ;)

Erin February 12, 2014 at 7:47 pm

I wouldn’t have thought to find Liquid Smoke on Amazon, Ash! … And I hope I’m not leading you astray! I love the flavor the little bit of Liquid Smoke adds to this drink… though I’m sure it’s not for everyone!

Erin February 12, 2014 at 7:46 pm

Kathy, Liquid smoke is something people will use in marinating meat/tofu or in BBQ. It doesn’t make the drink frothy, but it adds a nice smokiness and toastiness to the Iced Cocoa. I’ve always found it in the condiment aisle at my grocery near the BBQ sauce.

That’s disappointing about your blender (and your teeth, sad face!), but I think it’s love that you’re spending Valentine’s with your friends this year.

Dawn ~ Spatulas On Parade February 12, 2014 at 9:16 am

Okay, I’ve seen people use liquid smoke in their gravy, but a drink? What made you decide to add that and how did it affect the flavor? Inquiring minds NEED to know :)

Erin February 12, 2014 at 7:48 pm

So… I went to a coffeehouse a while back on a photo assignment, and I was chatting with the owner, and we got to talking about how I LOVE Iced Cocoa and how they had it on their menu. She mentioned to me that she likes to add some Liquid Smoke to hers when she’s making it for a punch of smokiness, and I’ve done it ever since!

The Liquid Smoke doesn’t affect the flavor. It’s still incredibly chocolate-y, and maybe the Liquid Smoke brings that out… but it adds a smokiness/toastiness to the drink that is divine.

Kita February 12, 2014 at 9:25 am

Never heard of this before I may need to try this but I need my hot stuff in this weather in GA lol

Erin February 12, 2014 at 7:49 pm

I don’t blame you one bit, Kita! It’s warmed up here, but I know y’all are in the middle of a snow storm! Stay safe and warm!

Tyler February 12, 2014 at 9:52 am

I was listening to the John Tesh radio show yesterday, and he was talking about cinnamon and all of the benefits it provides your body. So, the cinnamon is a nice touch.

Erin February 12, 2014 at 7:49 pm

All right! Cinnamon FTW! That’s really cool. :) And I love the flavor it adds to this, too.

Renee February 12, 2014 at 12:55 pm

YUM. How good does this sound?! I used to be obsessed with the frozen hot chocolates at Dairy Queen but I’ve since grown leery of their ingredients. I’m excited to try this!

Erin February 12, 2014 at 7:51 pm

I know, right?! Like you, I was kind of obsessed with frozen hot chocolates, then became skeptical of the ingredients used… so I made it at home. And it’s super easy and wonderful! So I look forward to hearing what you think of it if you make it!

Adie February 12, 2014 at 1:10 pm

This looks refreshing and delicious. May be trying this tonight. :-)

Erin February 12, 2014 at 7:51 pm

Thanks, Adie! It’s pretty wonderful, so I look forward to hearing what you think of it!

Jamie February 12, 2014 at 3:17 pm

You got me in the pantry, looking for my unopened bottle of liquid smoke. I’m intrigued!

Erin February 12, 2014 at 7:52 pm

Yesssssss! Give this a shot, Jamie! The Liquid Smoke adds a bit of smoke to the cocoa, and it works wonderfully!

neatly-packaged February 12, 2014 at 4:23 pm

This looks excellent! This is the perfect drink now that it is warming up a bit for us Texans! And your dog is adorable :)

Erin February 12, 2014 at 7:52 pm

Thanks, lady! And it really is, huh? Granted, I made it on a day when it was sleeting… but this will be enjoyed at our home for months to come. And thank you! She IS pretty cute…

Eileen February 12, 2014 at 4:25 pm

PUPPY!!1! Er, ahem. That is a handsome dog. :) And this cocoa sounds really interesting–liquid smoke? I would never have thought of that one!

Erin February 12, 2014 at 7:53 pm

Haha. Thanks, Eileen! (Lucy sends licks of her gratitude, too!) Yes, Liquid Smoke. It’s kind of strange… but it makes the drink so good!

laurasmess February 12, 2014 at 9:23 pm

Nawwww, your pup is absolutely gorgeous Erin. How could you say no to that face?! I’d be feeding it entire bags of marshmallows… and then regretting the resultant hyperactivity! As for the drink, iced cocoa is absolutely divine. I’ve been drinking it frequently from my local coffee shop (as it’s so darn hot here. I’ve been buying iced coffee too) but I don’t believe I’ve ever tried it with liquid smoke. Gotta change that as I’m totally convinced that the smoky quality would work. A bit like adding chilli to hot cocoa, I guess… that added ‘warm’ quality that amps things up a bit. Gorgeous post. Naw, love your pup! xx

Erin March 14, 2014 at 5:27 pm

Thanks, Laura! She’s a beaut… and it was her ears that spoke to me when I first saw her image! She’s hard to say no to… but she’s got a sensitive tummy, so it’s best to not give her TOO much people food.

I love that you’ve been drinking a ton of iced cocoa at your local coffee shop since it’s been so warm! This is such a fun drink… and I kind of want some of it now!

Jennbizzle February 13, 2014 at 11:29 am

#BiSC Swag Alert!

Erin March 14, 2014 at 5:27 pm

I know, right? It’s such a gorgeously colorful book, too…

Madison February 17, 2014 at 12:40 pm

Oh yum! This looks incredible :) Reminds me of snow cream, but it’s cocoa so that makes it even better :)

Erin March 14, 2014 at 5:28 pm

Thanks, Madison! I’ve never tried snow cream before, but I bet it’s amazing, too!